Home Precious Metals
Options

14 kennedy halfs for a pack of smokes?

chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
my son works at the corner store,calls me and says to come down NOW.he hands me 14 litely circulated 1964 kennedy halfs....a man used them to buy a pack of smokes

Now with Pictures

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nine dollars per cigarette. Hope they're good!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    desperate times call for desperate measures, i suppose.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Back in the mid-70's I worked in a convenience store where I lived. Every so often an old guy would come in and buy cigars with silver dollars (Morgan/Peace). I of course bought every one out of the register. A while later I knew I would be leaving the job, so the next time the old guy came in I asked if he would be willing to sell me his remaining silver dollars and I would pay a lot more than face value. He refused!

Later I found out why. He was retired, and his wife worked as a real estate agent. She forbid him to smoke cigars so she made sure he never had any cash, therefore he could never buy any to smoke while she was at work. He preferred raiding his own silver dollar stash to buy cigars with rather than having to worry about hiding "regular" money. She never suspected he would be using his silver dollars. I think I ended up with about 40 or 50, sold them when I started college.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow! Nice score
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    This gives a whole new meaning to hot coins.image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm taking up smoking people on cigarette sales.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going back to where I started my working life...in the liquor store and stack 'em.

I'm tired of working for fiat.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addictions can cause a lot of problems, esp financially, it would appear.
    Kind of makes me think twice about how "smart" some of the smokers are(n't).....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this guy even knew these coins were worth more than face value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if this guy even knew these coins were worth more than face value. >>

Now you know why the hotel buyers prosper and flourish.
  • Options
    That's how much a pack of cigs will cost you when the SHTFimage
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    A pack of cigs is $7? Wow, just wow.image
    Becky
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A pack of cigs is $7? Wow, just wow.image >>

$14 in New York last time I was up there in January (just saw the price, ex puffer here).
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm going back to where I started my working life...in the liquor store and stack 'em. >>

same way my dad got his 09S VDB in the 50's, a customer was desperate for a nicotine fix.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    My wife used to work at a bank. I had her tell all the tellers on what to be on the lookout for. I was buying the stuff for face value and giving the tellers a little kick back.
    Best one was an old lady deposited 40 $2 bills, all very nice and crisp, that had consecutive serial numbers.
    I sold them on ebay for $440!!! No, that's not a typo...$440. I was lmao all the way to the bank on that one...literally!
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure is amazing what comes over the counter sometimes.... Cigarettes are $9.50/pack here in mid-NYS. One would think that when people get that desperate they would quit. I know my Mother quit when cigarettes went up to $1.00/pack. She said "That is ridiculous." and never smoked again. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, $9.95 a ciggerette, now that is addiction.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for that price its time to quit. it is a very hard addiction i agree. what a hight price again image
  • Options
    wow this is why i need to get a job.