Home Precious Metals
Options

An anti-gold screed which may be of interest:

92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
Several 'interesting' if rather schizoprenic points raised in this one.

Text

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link does not work. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    sorry, fixed
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Sour grapes? He obviously didn't buy gold when it was in the hundreds.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, gosh. I thought I was a believer in investing in precious metals. But his argument #7 convinces me I have been wrong....

"7. Gold bugs. There are people called “gold bugs” in the gold market. It’s a semi nice term for kooks. I know of no other commodity or security that has “bugs.” There is quite enough irrationality in the securities and commodities markets without adding a group of people who are not applying logic to their price determinations. American Indians called gold “the yellow metal that makes the white man act crazy.” There is no place for that sort of nonsense in investment decisions."

So there you have it folks. Give up that nonsense already!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He took a statistics course once, and is impressed with his own intelligence. Other than that, some of his reasons are valid and some are not so compelling.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Is this accurate?

"1. 28% capital gains tax rate. Almost all long-term capital gains are taxed at 15%. But long-term capital gains in gold and other precious metals, art, and collectibles, are taxed at a 28% tax rate. [IRC§1(h)(4)(A)(i) and §408(m)(2)] "
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    But long-term capital gains in gold and other precious metals, art, and collectibles, are taxed at a 28% tax rate. [IRC§1(h)(4)(A)(i) and §408(m)(2)] "

I believe that it's either 28% or your marginal tax rate, but it is definitely not 15%.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, gosh. I thought I was a believer in investing in precious metals. But his argument #7 convinces me I have been wrong....

"7. Gold bugs. There are people called “gold bugs” in the gold market. It’s a semi nice term for kooks. I know of no other commodity or security that has “bugs.” There is quite enough irrationality in the securities and commodities markets without adding a group of people who are not applying logic to their price determinations. American Indians called gold “the yellow metal that makes the white man act crazy.” There is no place for that sort of nonsense in investment decisions."

So there you have it folks. Give up that nonsense already! >>

This character has little to offer other than "drive-by" slander. I stopped paying attention to such elitists in favor of my own instincts. This "bug" will continue to stack.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Well I guess that dashes 5000 years of human history and the struggle

to protect ones absolute value of their wealth. I am sure glad that the

idiot that wrote the article cleared everything up. I guess regression

to the mean is simply that we shall all be reduced to the living level

to be found during the DARK AGES. Can the BLACK PLAGUE, be far behind.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    John Reed is a smart guy -- but in a different field, real estate investing. He's a latecomer to the precious metals question, and I think he's applying principles from real estate, such as reversion to a historic price mean, that have little applicability to gold, especially in times like these.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I find most curious the comments of his "jeweller" letter-writing friend. Anyway I attempted to post a polite rejoinder to his blog but both times they were deleted LOL
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But long-term capital gains in gold and other precious metals, art, and collectibles, are taxed at a 28% tax rate. [IRC§1(h)(4)(A)(i) and §408(m)(2)] "

I believe that it's either 28% or your marginal tax rate, but it is definitely not 15%. >>

The PM etf's are always taxed at the 28% rate. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His article was published back in 10/2010.... I wonder what his thinking is now.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    You have to keep remembering that 99.8% (my guess-timate) of all US investors are vested in non-gold financial instruments, whether they be stocks,corporate bonds, government bonds, mutual funds, ETFs, hedge funds, other commodities, municipal bonds, plant & equipment or a business inventory.

Anyone who is invested in something else - usually has no reason to buy gold, and in most instances a rising gold price is a negative indicator for these other vested interests. Keep that in mind when you encounter hit pieces about gold and when obvious manipulation takes down gold for any length of time.

Nobody wants to hear that their investments are being trashed by bailouts for greedy banks, corrupt politicians and rotten public policies. You can only stick your head in the sand for so long before you have to breathe. Gold isn't the reason for the problems; it is merely the messenger. Ignore what the price of gold is saying at your own risk.

I knew it would happen.