Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

All Time Brewers Set

Comments

• Options
    oddityoddity Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I enjoyed reading through this thread.

I'm a life long Brewer fan looking to take on this set. I don't really like all the selections or how the weighted scale is set up, but I guess it is what it is.

I already have the D. Money, Slaton, Gantner, Higuera, & Fielder. Not sure about jumping in on the pricier Fisk or Fingers yet...

Wondering if anybody has some extra cards from this set for sale/trade? I'm looking for a few specifically....

1974 TOPPS GORMAN THOMAS #288 in PSA 9 or 10
    1996 BOWMAN'S BEST GEOFF JENKINS #136 in PSA 10 but would consider a 9
    2000 BOWMAN CHROME BEN SHEETS #207 looking for PSA 10 only
    2005 TOPPS UPDATES & HIGHLIGHTS RYAN BRAUN #UH313 PSA 10 only (but would have to be a good price)

If you're looking to part with any of these, post here or PM me. I have an extra Don Money PSA 8.5 and a Gantner PSA 9 (or cash!) to unload if anyone is interested.

Thanks

-Dan
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Hi Dan,

Good to see another Brewer fan on the site. I can't help you with any of the cards, but I look forward to watching you build this set. This thread needs more action. Feel free to post some pictures.

Jeff
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, I also dont have extras but welcome to the board.
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, great to see another Brewers fan on board

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options
    I just added this to my registry:

Only need Prince Fielder and Ben Oglivie to get to 100%

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

• Options

This is the card I picked up that got me thinking about working on this set....

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on getting all the Milwaukee Braves team sets. Outside of Aaron's rookie, I'm pretty much through 53-57. I'll start 58-60 pretty soon, but the number of cards to get jump up. I might start this set, but like many said before, I don't like the idea of getting non-Brewer cards for a Brewers set.

I do like seeing peoples scans though, that Gumby rookie is great!

• Options
    Got my Rollie Fingers. Just a 6 but it is not a card I would have cared to have in my collection but he was a great Brewer.
  • Options
    Just under 84% on the 1970's Brewers card run. 41 more cards to go. Some of these cards are surprisingly tough to find in high grade. I see Cadets is almost finished with this. Nice job!! Anyone else have any updates?

Jeff
  • Options
    Congrats Troy. Rollie was a great Brewer. Too bad we did not get a set with the first Brewer card. It is killing me to have to buy the 1972 Ben Oglivie.

I am 4 cards away on the 70's Brewers Run.

I am making some progress on the 1980-1985 part of an 80's run. May have to request that set after I finish the 70's.

Shawn

• Options

Still looking for a couple upgrades...

1996 BOWMAN'S BEST GEOFF JENKINS #136 in PSA 10 only
    2000 BOWMAN CHROME BEN SHEETS #207 looking for PSA 10 only

If any of you registry guys want to part with yours or have an extra, shoot me a PM!
    I still need the 4 expensive cards to finish this set. I'm in no rush, though.

-Dan

• Options
    Well I just finished my 1977 Topps Brewers set in 9 or above. Thats my first complete team set in the 70's run. I think I need about 30 more total cards to finish, but there getting alot harder to find in the grades i'm looking for. I've pretty much been stalled on the All Time Brewers set. I'm waiting for an Oglivie and Fingers PSA 9 to come up for auction. I haven't seen either one in awhile. So how is everyone else doing on there sets? Would love to see some scans. Milwaukee Braves scans would work also. I'm contemplating working on all those team sets too although i'm to young to have actually saw them play here.

Jeff
  • Options
    i will work on some scans for you.
  • Options

I've kind of stalled on my all time Brewers set. Mostly because of what I still need, and the prices of what I want that's available (and what I can afford I guess, if I want to overpay). I still haven't gotten a new scanner to go with my new computer, but I still have a couple new pick ups to add to my registry. They were the Cooper and the Molitor, both in 8's.

I keep watching the same PSA 9 Fingers go by on ebay that's overpriced (IMO), and I keep checking on a PSA 9 Ogilvie off of the bay that a guy wants $250 for, but I couldn't make myself pay that much for it.

I guess the hunt continues for me.

Nice work on the 77's vett. You've got a lot of great stuff...

• Options

<< <i>I've kind of stalled on my all time Brewers set. Mostly because of what I still need, and the prices of what I want that's available (and what I can afford I guess, if I want to overpay). I still haven't gotten a new scanner to go with my new computer, but I still have a couple new pick ups to add to my registry. They were the Cooper and the Molitor, both in 8's.

I keep watching the same PSA 9 Fingers go by on ebay that's overpriced (IMO), and I keep checking on a PSA 9 Ogilvie off of the bay that a guy wants $250 for, but I couldn't make myself pay that much for it.

I guess the hunt continues for me.

Nice work on the 77's vett. You've got a lot of great stuff... >>

That's funny about the Fingers and Oglivie. I've been watching the same 2 cards your talking about and cannot bring myself to pay those prices for them. One of these days a true auction will pop up on ebay. I guess we just need to be patient.

Jeff
  • Options

I gave up on finding an affordable PSA 9 Fingers and picked up a nice 8 I could live with. There have been several up for sale lately.

• Options

<< <i>I gave up on finding an affordable PSA 9 Fingers and picked up a nice 8 I could live with. There have been several up for sale lately. >>

I was the underbidder on the PSA 9 Fingers that PWCC auctioned off. I'm starting to get impatient myself, but will continue to wait for one in my price range. The Oglivie is frustrating me even more. I haven't saw a PSA 9 come up on ebay yet. BBCARDS4U psa 9 for $250 is just way too expensive. Nice pickup on the Fingers 8. Your set has come along nicely. Always nice to see other Brewer fans building sets.

Jeff
  • Options

Just upgraded my Sheets and Jenkins rookie cards to 10's, so I guess that's good news. Took a long time to get them, I'd been looking for over a year for both of these. At least they were inexpensive.

All I need is a nice Yount now.

• Options
    Just added this one to my all time Brewers set. Now I just need a Rollie Fingers rookie to finish it off. Also down to just 15 cards for the 1970's Brewers run. If anyone has any cards I need or an upgrade to what I have please PM me.

Thanks
    Jeff

• Options

Nice pick up, Jeff!

• Options

<< <i>Nice pick up, Jeff! >>

Thanks Dan. I finally broke down and bought the Oglivie from BBCARDS4U after watching the last auction end at $310. If you ever want to part with that Gantner PSA 10 let me know. So when are you going to pick up a Yount to finish your set off?

Jeff
  • Options

I've been so out of the loop, I never even saw the auction that ended at $310. I wouldn't have paid that much for it anyway.

I still watch for Yount rookies, but I think I'm either too picky or just always figure I can get a better deal. I think part of the problem is I've never liked the design of the '75 set. My favorite player growing up, but I don't like the card. I'll get one sometime, though. Just not today.

If you're really interested in the Gantner 10, shoot me a PM. I have a PSA 9 I can slide right in to my set. I'd certainly consider any offer.

• Options
    Well I upgraded my Gantner rookie thanks to Dan. Still holding out for the right Rollie Fingers to finish my all time Brewers set. Also I'm still plugging away on the 1970's Brewers run. I only need 11 more cards to complete it. Damn 1979 cards are killing me. I just can't find them. Anyone else got any new Brewers items to share?

Jeff
  • Options

I thought for sure you were going to say you picked up a Rollie!

• Options

<< <i>I thought for sure you were going to say you picked up a Rollie! >>

Well finally I picked up the Rollie Fingers. This completes my all time Brewers set and currently puts it in the number one spot. The only improvement I would like to make is to upgrade the Molitor rookie to a PSA 10.

Thanks for looking
    Jeff

• Options
    Very nice! Congrats on the top spot.
  • Options
    Almost forgot. Here's Rollie's first card as a Brewer. I really like this card.

• Options

Congrats, Jeff! What a great set you have put together there!

• Options
    Great Pick Ups. Congrats

Shawn

• Options
    I finally picked up this tough card. Ben Oglivie's first card in a Brewers uniform. Down to just 9 cards for my 70's Brewers run.

• Options
    I just picked up the final card to complete my 1970's Brewers run.

I am in 4th place, behind vettfanatic. Plenty of tough cards in this run.

Now working to keep upgrading it.

Shawn

• Options

<< <i>I finally picked up this tough card. Ben Oglivie's first card in a Brewers uniform. Down to just 9 cards for my 70's Brewers run.

image >>

Nice pickup. Though how did you get it? I see it went unsold on eBay.
  • Options
    Congrats on finishing your set Shaun. That 1976 Rick Austin is another real tough card. So your going to start upgrading your set now. What's your final goal?

Toppsfan I purchased the Oglivie directly from 4sharpcorners website. When a card sells off their site it automatically ends their listing on ebay
  • Options
    Not sure what my goal is. But I will upgrade until I get bored.

Nice Oglivie!

Shawn

• Options
    Congrats Shaun
  • Options
    I am working on the 1980's now. When I get it closer to complete I will ask PSA to add an 80's run of Brewers.

Not a ton of graded 88's or 89's out there yet. But it could be fun.

Hope a few would join me on this journey as well.

Shawn

• Options

<< <i>Congrats Shaun >>

Thanks Troy.

• Options

<< <i>I am working on the 1980's now. When I get it closer to complete I will ask PSA to add an 80's run of Brewers.

Not a ton of graded 88's or 89's out there yet. But it could be fun.

Hope a few would join me on this journey as well.

Shawn >>

Well I have to admit that your the one that got me started doing the 70's run. I've really enjoyed doing it thus far too. An 80's run could be fun, but it'd be hard to shell out the cash for some of the worthless cards in a PSA holder. I already have all the 80's sets raw so I don't think I'll be doing them graded at the moment. Maybe I'll just start dabbling on one set and see where it goes.

Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff did you just win that #685 Sixto Lezcano PSA 10 that went for $273.93?!

If so you certainly paid through the nose for it my oh my! If that is the case let no man doubt your determination, congrats! Seriously though impressive score, you are certainly going for it sir.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff did you just win that #685 Sixto Lezcano PSA 10 that went for $273.93?!

If so you certainly paid through the nose for it my oh my! If that is the case let no man doubt your determination, congrats! Seriously though impressive score, you are certainly going for it sir. >>

No it wasn't me. I'm not upgrading any cards yet. Just trying to complete the set right now. Even if I was upgrading I don't think I would pay that much for that card.

Jeff
  • Options
    Gorman Thomas PSA 10 on the bay right now. If anyone picks that up I will buy your lower grade.
  • Options

I have a spare Gorman 8 and an 8.5 if you want one. I might even let my 9 go for the right deal. I'm pretty attached to the 9, but I'd let the other two go pretty easily. Or I'd be willing to trade for something interesting Brewer or maybe even Packer related. Send me a PM if you want to work something out.

• Options
    PM Sent Oddity
  • Options

Am I the only one who is surprised the Gorman 10 only sold for $85? I really thought it would go for more, 9's and 10's don't seem to be available often (not counting the 2 ugly 9's on ebay right now). Seems like I waited forever to get a nice 9. The demand just wasn't there for Gorman?

• Options

<< <i>Am I the only one who is surprised the Gorman 10 only sold for $85? I really thought it would go for more, 9's and 10's don't seem to be available often (not counting the 2 ugly 9's on ebay right now). Seems like I waited forever to get a nice 9. The demand just wasn't there for Gorman? >>

Yes I would've thought that card would at least break $100. I paid more for my 10 I know. To bad I should've waited. Gorman just doesn't get any respect.image
  • Options
    After this I only need to get the Prince Fielder card to finish the registry.

If anyone wants to sell a 2005 UPPER DECK REFLECTIONS PRINCE FIELDER PSA 10 I am interested.

Shawn

PS I am also interested in upgrading these 2 cards to PSA 10:
    1996 BOWMAN'S BEST GEOFF JENKINS
    2000 BOWMAN CHROME BEN SHEETS

• Options

Well, I finally picked up a PSA 8 Yount rookie to complete my set. Just waiting for delivery. Too bad I don't have a working scanner, or I'd throw on a scan when I get it.

Still kicking myself for not picking up that PSA 9 for $600 when I had the chance. Probably won't see one for that price again for a while, but at the time I thought that was too much...

• Options

<< <i>Well, I finally picked up a PSA 8 Yount rookie to complete my set. Just waiting for delivery. Too bad I don't have a working scanner, or I'd throw on a scan when I get it.

Still kicking myself for not picking up that PSA 9 for $600 when I had the chance. Probably won't see one for that price again for a while, but at the time I thought that was too much... >>

Congrats on picking up the Yount and completing your set. Boy times have changed I think I picked up my PSA 9 Yount for just over $300. So what project is next now?

Jeff
  • Options

I've been working on a post war Hall of Fame rookie set, along with picking up some rookies of guys I think have a real chance of getting in to the hall. I've been enjoying it a lot more since I stopped trying to compete in the registry and started using it as a checklist. I have some nice looking cards I have wanted since I was a kid; they just aren't in a really high grade. I had to come to grips with who I was if I wanted to keep collecting.
    Anyway, I have really been enjoying picking up some cards that I have always wanted. I'm about 28% complete on this, but was able to add a few today.

I like the idea of doing a Brewers team set by year, but the '70s were a bit before my time and have a ton of players that really don't hold my interest (I was born in '79). An 80's set is intriguing, but much more realistic to enjoy it raw, with all the commons, lol. For a long time, I've been seriously considering doing a Yount set (or maybe a Molitor except after he left Milwaukee) and one of these days I probably will start his basic Topps set. I could probably work on his Master Set until the day I die, but I'd have to be careful, working on Al Kaline's master set almost drove me insane and out of the hobby before I sold it all off.

I guess there's always something around the corner....

• Options
    Nice post Dan. I too am dabbling in the postwar hof rookie set. I don't have mine registered as there's no way for me to compete with the big boys and I don't want to get caught up trying. Like people have said this registry thing can be addicting. You definitely should start a Robin Yount set. I've enjoyed my Yount collection more then anything else as he was my favorite player growing up. His cards are all easy to find and cheap to buy.

Well I just added a couple more cards to my 70's Brewers run leaving me with only 4 cards to go. If anyone can help with any of the cards listed below please let me know.

Thanks
    Jeff

1971 Topps #415 Mike Hegan (PSA 8)
    1973 Topps Brewers checklist (PSA 7 or 8)
    1976 Topps #550 Hank Aaron (PSA 9)
    1979 Topps #325 Cecil Cooper (PSA 9)