Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

All Time Brewers Set

Comments

• Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I'm pissed about this set. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe i'll just change my mind and go after Shawn's 70's Brewer run. At least they're all Brewers cards.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm pissed about this set. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe i'll just change my mind and go after Shawn's 70's Brewer run. At least they're all Brewers cards. >>

I am talking with the Registry and gave them our list and mentioned that the expanded set that was proposed was the set BEFORE we voted. I will let you know the more information I find. If we lose out I will suggest a new set created.

"Milwaukee Brewers - All Time Great First Cards"

Who knows. ........

• Options
    Here is what I wrote to PSA.

These are the cards voted on to be added to the set. The original list you sent me WAS the list to be voted on. We removed a bunch of average players. Please let us know if you are able to create the set with the players list below and not the Excel sheet you sent me.

Cecil Cooper 1978 Topps #154
    Jim Gantner 1977 Topps #494
    Robin Yount 1975 Topps #223
    Paul Molitor 1978 Topps #707
    Gorman Thomas 1974 Topps #288
    Prince Fielder NEED HELP HERE - 2005 UD Reflections #265
    Ryan Braun NEED HELP HERE - 2005 Topps Chrome #198
    Geoff Jenkins NEED HELP HERE -1996 Bowman's Best #136
    Ben Ogilvie 1979 Topps #519
    Don Money 1973 Topps #386

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera 1985 Topps Traded #53T
    Jim Slaton 1972 Topps #744
    Ben Sheets NEED HELP HERE 2000 SP Pros and Prospects #151 - in a Olympic uniform but says Brewers on the front #'d to 1600 or 2000 Topps traded #T10
    Rollie Fingers 1981 Topps Traded #761 >>

Troy

Here is the response

Hi Troy,

As stated in my previous email we are only cross referencing your list with the current list that the requesting member has sent to make sure your request are also on that list. We will not know which items will be included in the set until the set is posted.

-------------------------

Looks like we may be behind the 8 ball. The other thing we could do would be to vote out all of the cards once it is posted. I would hate to have two all time sets. If we get all of us posting our sets and then asking for a removal vote we could easily get this set back to what it should be.

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like we may be behind the 8 ball. The other thing we could do would be to vote out all of the cards once it is posted. I would hate to have two all time sets. If we get all of us posting our sets and then asking for a removal vote we could easily get this set back to what it should be. >>

Wow, feel for you guys on this.

Keep in mind, PSA won't typically run a card vote (on or off) for a few (3-6) months after a new set is loaded. Hopefully whenever you do get to run a vote off, you will have enough who agree. I'm not a big baseball guy, but the current set requested looks absolutely terrible. If others join the set who happen to buy a few of these unwelcomed cards, you'll have a hard time getting the votes.

PSA also usually favors inclusive vs. exclusive. The more cards on the set the more cards that get sent in for grading. Never forget the Registry is free, yet PSA is a for profit business. I wish you guys the best. Maybe you can set a new precedent on how this type of thing is handled. Seems like I lost every one of these battles that you are now looking at..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    LOL!!!! Why not Lary Hisle and Charlie Moore??? All I can say is WOW! I dont mind rookie cards but I will probably pass unless I get bored with
    my fb sets.
  • Options
    Hi Troy,

Thanks for everything your doing to try and make this set right. If you think I should send an email to psa also please let me know. It seems like they're going to do what they want anyways though. Might just have to add a set and start trying to delete players once it's posted.

Jeff

BOB WICKMAN- What a joke!!!

All Time Greatest. Ha alot of these players weren't even part time good.
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Troy,

If it helps I can email also.

St. Bernard's kids got to stick together on this one.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options

<< <i>Troy,

If it helps I can email also.

St. Bernard's kids got to stick together on this one.

Shawn >>

Figured that was you. Please send the emails guys. Lets see if we can get this right.
  • Options
    Well its to late to send an email to PSA now. The crappy set is live in the registry now. Looks like we can see who requested it. This just blows. I'm not joining that set as of now.
  • Options
    Wow it is even worse when you see it in the registry.

1986 Topps Traded Bill Wegman
    1990 Donruss Mike Fetters

What a joke
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

• Options
    Even the weighting is screwed up. Cecil cooper is the top card with a 10. Yount should be top but is second at 8. Fingers is weighted more then Molitor?

I'm out!!!!! I will not do this set. There is no Bill Wegman card that is even worth putting in a PSA holder. Just sad. Cadets I think your gonna get some company building that 71-79 Brewers run. I'm way behind you, but at least I won't regret having actual Brewers cards in my collection. Who the heck wants a George Scott rookie? I know I don't.
  • Options
    Well I found out the knob who created the set. Here is all of his sets

link to Mcholke's sets

Looks like he has a bunch of crazy sets that he started (I am guessing that)

Here is one of them MLB Batting Champs 1950 - to present. The cards just don't line up to their best rookie. Looking at all his sets he creates them just to get an award. Look at all of the sets he has at perfect 10's that do not have an award. Must have just got those on line. What a dope.

Here is the plan. Everyone must register their set. Even with one card. July 1st we put up an email to PSA to remove the ridiculous cards to get the set where it should be. So, who is game? I know we do this if we get enough buy in from Brewer collectors AND we all vote when it comes out.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I found out the knob who created the set. Here is all of his sets

link to Mcholke's sets

Looks like he has a bunch of crazy sets that he started (I am guessing that)

Here is one of them MLB Batting Champs 1950 - to present. The cards just don't line up to their best rookie. Looking at all his sets he creates them just to get an award. Look at all of the sets he has at perfect 10's that do not have an award. Must have just got those on line. What a dope.

Here is the plan. Everyone must register their set. Even with one card. July 1st we put up an email to PSA to remove the ridiculous cards to get the set where it should be. So, who is game? I know we do this if we get enough buy in from Brewer collectors AND we all vote when it comes out. >>

Someone send me a cert# you arent using and i will start the set just to help your vote...Such a shame what a few oddball collectors can do to turn these sets into nothing anyone would be interested in collceting. PSA doesn't see the forest through the trees. Make the set something an outsider would see and want to collect. That's how you attract more collectors and hence more card submissions. Not like this. Anyone ever see the movie "Idiocracy"...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>

Someone send me a cert# you arent using and i will start the set just to help your vote...Such a shame what a few oddball collectors can do to turn these sets into nothing anyone would be interested in collceting. PSA doesn't see the forest through the trees. Make the set something an outsider would see and want to collect. That's how you attract more collectors and hence more card submissions. Not like this. Anyone ever see the movie "Idiocracy"...lol

Jason >>

What is funny is I only have the Jim Gantner right now. Jason, you know me - only collect football ;-)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

What is funny is I only have the Jim Gantner right now. Jason, you know me - only collect football ;-) >>

You have until July, get busy..

(I don't own one single solitary BASEBALL card...lol)

Jason
  • Options
    My lucky day is here!!!

I just found 4 1998 Bowman Randy Wolf RC's

Now I just have to find my box with 1995 Bowman's Best. I hope I have a huge pile of Jeff Suppan RC's still in there.

I was going to do a sub in the next few days anyway. Might as well get a few cards graded that Mcholke will submit to this All Time Brewers set.

• Options

<< <i>
    Here is the plan. Everyone must register their set. Even with one card. July 1st we put up an email to PSA to remove the ridiculous cards to get the set where it should be. So, who is game? I know we do this if we get enough buy in from Brewer collectors AND we all vote when it comes out. >>

I don't have the patience to wait 5 months to try and get players deleted. Besides that I don't think that the required cards for players can be changed. We can't just swap the Cecil Cooper RC out for his 1978 Topps. It states right on the top of the page that no additions or deletions of the specific cards can happen. Maybe i'm wrong. I think we should go forward and try adding the set list we came up with under a different name. It's unfortunate that some fool that i'm sure has never even been to a Brewer game has determined who our all time greats are. He has 10 different teams all time great sets. Who can be a fan of all these teams at once?

Jeff
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Well I found out the knob who created the set. Here is all of his sets
    link to Mcholke's sets >>

Mcholke's a respected member of these forums. You might want to send him a PM if you want to discuss his sets.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I wish Mcholke had responded on this thead as it was meant to be a discussion about the set. I'd like to know why some of the players are considered "ALL TIME GREATS" in his eyes. Maybe if he's still active on the boards he can respond to this thread and we can see if there's a way to get rid of a few of these mediocre players.
  • Options
    Clearly the creator of this set does not know the Brewer's history. Adding the players he did was looking at the top five of each major statistical category. If he is a respected member of this community he will show up and explain the justification of each player.
  • Options
    This is why these sets should be discussed and debated before they are sent to PSA. Unlike player additions, there is no vote. Any random collector can submit anything they want. May sound fine on the surface but to end up with problems like this one. Which could have been easily avoided.

You would think a respected member of this board would have seen many of these threads in the past and would have done the right thing. Pretty selfish otherwise.

Jason
  • Options
    My VCP just had Jason bidding on Mike Fetters and Damn Plesac. Nice wins Jason imageimage
  • Options
    Here's the scoop everyone. I spoke to mcholke (Kevin) via private message. He meant no harm by adding this set. He got the list off of bleacherreport.com and sent it to PSA. He is willing to do what he can to amend the situation. He has sent a detailed email to PSA explaining what happened and asking them to revise the player list with the one that we came up with. He's going to keep me informed as to their responses/actions. Hopefully we can get this thing on track.

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>My VCP just had Jason bidding on Mike Fetters and Damn Plesac. Nice wins Jason imageimage >>

Who???????? Never heard of Fetters. The other guy was a closer right?
  • Options
    Ok everyone the set has been fixed with all the player's from the list we had agreed upon. The only difference is it will require rookie cards instead of the players first card in Brewers uniform. After a little more thought i'm ok with this. It will make it a little more challenging. I will just add the first card of the player in the Brewers uniform to my personal collection as the cost of them is very cheap. The newer rookies are on PSA's list of recognized rookies so that's why those cards have been chosen. I believe they could have used several different ones. It's not as cut and dry as the older cards. I hope to see you guys register your sets. I will be adding mine later today.

Jeff
  • Options
    It is better than what it was.

I could care less about the following cards though

1969 TOPPS DON MONEY
    1969 TOPPS ROLLIE FINGERS
    1972 TOPPS CECIL COOPER (really don't want to spend the sick $$ for this card)
    1972 TOPPS BEN OGLIVIE

Overall I am happier but I will never be 100% complete on this set. I will have to see if who is in the Brewer / Milwaukee Wall of fame.
  • Options
    Better, but I agree with Troy. Not interested in Don Money RC or the others.

Shawn

• Options
    I just added my cards.

I did not realize that I already own a Don Money RC. But I do, so it was added.

I will probably get the Cooper some day. But not sure about the Fingers.

Good luck to everyone.

Shawn

• Options
    I was wandering around Chicago the last few days and stumbled across this.

Price was right.

I guess I will be attempting the set registry. I am half way complete.

Shawn

• Options
    Nice pickup Shawn. I wish I could just stumble across stuff like that. I did pick up a PSA Don Money rookie for $12 however. Thought it was a decent deal.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys any of you Brewers fans need this card for there All Time Brewers Set $6 shipped?
    Also have other PSA graded Brewers cards here PSA Graded Mililwaukee Brewers Cards
    if anyone is interested.

James

• Options

<< <i>Hey guys any of you Brewers fans need this card for there All Time Brewers Set $6 shipped?
    Also have other PSA graded Brewers cards here PSA Graded Mililwaukee Brewers Cards
    if anyone is interested.

James

image >>

I will take it. I will look at your list too to see if I need more. Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>I was wandering around Chicago the last few days and stumbled across this.

Price was right.

I guess I will be attempting the set registry. I am half way complete.

Shawn >>

Nice pick up Shawn. I am sure I will get sucked into it too.
  • Options
    Troy,

My self control is pitiful.

Shawn

• Options
    I've been slowly adding a few cards to the All Time Brewer set and also the 1970's run of Brewer's cards. Here's is a couple of recent additions. I'm going to be posting both pictures of the RC's and the players first Brewers card in the set. I think its kind of cool that way. How is everyone else doing on this set? I don't want to see this thread die now after all that it took to get this thing up. Favrefan are you going to be joining in?

imageimage
  • Options
    I may be jumping ahead a few years. But just in case I grabbed this while it was still cheap:

Shawn

• Options
    Just added these is the past few days:

I have a bunch subbed to PSA right now. Hoping for popage soon.

Shawn

• Options
    I bought the Gantner and the Jenkins so far. 9's on both. Will pick up a few more and then open up the set.
  • Options

<< <i>I bought the Gantner and the Jenkins so far. 9's on both. Will pick up a few more and then open up the set. >>

Hey Favrefan PM me your address. I got an extra card that i'll send your way to help you get going on the set.
  • Options
    Thanks Vette! PM Sent.
  • Options
    Here's my latest pickup for my All Time Brewers. Cecil Cooper RC and first Brewers card. Also I just passed 50% on the 70's Brewers run.

imageimage
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    You could add HOFer Casey Stengel as the Manager..... his 1944 W732-2 Grand Studio card is a nice one, and can be had for about $100

• Options

<< <i>You could add HOFer Casey Stengel as the Manager..... his 1944 W732-2 Grand Studio card is a nice one, and can be had for about $100 >>

Stengel was managing the minor league team at the time and this is a major league set. Plus only managing one year clearly does not garner addition to this set. If so, CC would be on this team.
  • Options
    Here's my latest pickup for my Brewers collection. I actually like this card better then his rookie seeing hes all alone and you can actually see his face. It's amazing how tuff the 1979 Brewer cards are to find in higher grade. I don't know the reason for it, but they're just not out there.

• Options

<< <i>Here's my latest pickup for my Brewers collection. I actually like this card better then his rookie seeing hes all alone and you can actually see his face. It's amazing how tuff the 1979 Brewer cards are to find in higher grade. I don't know the reason for it, but they're just not out there.
    >>

I completely agree about the Molitor card compared to his rookie.
  • Options
    Just added another one to my All time Brewer set. I bid on the PSA 10 Ben Oglivie RC also but didn't come close to winning that one. Just 3 more to go.

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    That Gorman is a stunner. Nice pickup!
  • Options

<< <i>That Gorman is a stunner. Nice pickup! >>

Hi Craig thanks for the comment. I'm surprised you havn't chimed in on this thread until now. We could've used your help deciding which players belonged in this set.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    I can't say I've wandered over to the Set Registry forum too often. Now I see what I've been missing.
  • Options
    Welcome to the thread Craig