Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins melted together during San Francisco fire...

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a pretty neat little blurb-- there's not much info but it is kind of cool.

gold, silver coins fused together during 1906 fire.

My local B&M in California had a blob of melted liberty nickels that were supposedly in the fire as well. I really, *really* regret passing on buying them, though they were really cool to look at.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    The Barber Coin Collectors Society recently had and article about 5 Barber 50c & 2 Morgan $1 that were melted in the fires.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one of my great great grandmother's watches that was damaged in the fire - she had just moved there to San Francisco from Salt Lake City when the earthquake happened.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    This could be a great money making venture for an enterprising collector.....

First, find some counterfeit gold and silver coins. That shouldn't be hard, huh?

Next, put several of these bogus coins from the same general time frame on the charcoal the next time you cook weenies on the grill. Make sure the dates get melted real good!

Read up on your history and make up a good story about the coins being melted in a fire. The better the story, the more money you'll make when you sell the charbroiled lump!!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These lumps of melted coins can be too easily replicated which is why they are only worth scrap metal value to me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a pretty neat little blurb-- there's not much info but it is kind of cool.

gold, silver coins fused together during 1906 fire.

My local B&M in California had a blob of melted liberty nickels that were supposedly in the fire as well. I really, *really* regret passing on buying them, though they were really cool to look at. >>

When I clicked on your link, my Norton's antivirus screen popped up with a 'red alert' virus attack.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm suspect...

The melting point of silver is 962°C. The melting point of gold is 1064°C. The silver coins look like they melted thoroughly while the gold has the one area where the gold has been totally melted away while other areas of the coin appear unaffected.

No expert but it just doesn't look right to me. How does one area of the gold coin get totally melted, with the silver coins around it thoroughly melt, and yet other parts of the coin look unaffected by the heat.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too great a chance of being a hoax... if they are counterfeiting coins, why not something easy like this? Could be real, but unlikely. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe to be fake

My point is gold melts far sooner than silver therefore the gold coin should be melted and not the silver coins????

Am I lookingat this the wrong way??image
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Environmental Damage.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe to be fake

My point is gold melts far sooner than silver therefore the gold coin should be melted and not the silver coins????

Am I lookingat this the wrong way??image >>

Really? The set of melted coins I saw from the San Francisco fire showed a 1921 Morgan that was in pretty good shape.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Am I lookingat this the wrong way??image >>

That's a good point. Why does the gold show no damage from the heat, yet the other metal is completely obliterated.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I looking at this the wrong way??image >>

Actually the melting point of gold is HIGHER then silver.

Melting point of gold: 1064.18 °C

Melting point of silver: 961.93 °C
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    i have abot 50 melted coins from 9/11 WTC collapse. THey were in a vault in the bank. Over a year later they recovered my box and everything in it was ash. I had silver eagles and franklins that expanded, and a gold watch that melted.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...just be careful that the slab it's in isn't counterfeit. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So, can you buy a seated Liberty Blob?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this explains what happened to all the 1873-S silver dollars? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, can you buy a seated Liberty Blob? >>

If you have enough money, someone could make one for you.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I am suspect of every story that mentions any grandparents. If I don't have an eye witness that I personally know and trust then I ignore the story. Amazing what the human mind can conjure up, if you just remove the story then it becomes a lump of s--t, that is when you know you need a story. >>

You got that right. I can hear some local flea market seller giving a big sob story about his grandparents' house fire that destroyed everything except this fake coin blob. The last sentence usually goes............

"........and when we sifted through the ashes, this is all we found of Grandma and Grandpa."

Some people will buy anything that has a good story attached to it. There's a sucker born every minute. And the dumber people get, the less I feel sorry for them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file