Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How safe to buy/sell coins here?

How you guys feel about buying/selling at forum? Any guidance for a newbie?

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THe BST is a tremendous place. One of the 'last outposts' of gentlemen and in general, a great place to do business.
    I would not hesitate at all to work through the BST . . .and you can always PM many members here to ask about any transaction if you feel twitchy . .

Many of us regard the BST as the last bastion of honor . . and you can count on those who work through that site.

Drunner

• Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757

<< <i>How safe to buy/sell coins here? >>

Its not, it is only as safe as you make it.... like driving a car.

--- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    Let me add . .

Vigilance is always key to working in any internet forum, but there are many on the BST that I would do a 5-figure deal on a PM or a 'handshake' and never worry. The policing there is second to none, and a solid reputation there is worth any amount.

Drunner
  • Options
    Is there anyway to check members' feedback?
  • Options
    The best way is to PM various members and ask . . . you will get an honest response.

Also . I notice your PM function is not enabled . . .it means to answer you we have to use the Forum instead of just sending a PM. It would be to your advantage . . . . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    Thanks! PM on now
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not as safe as it used to be. Be careful, and don't let anybody jerk you around with excuses they didn't ship after they have your money.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    PM sent!

Drunner
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only done 2 deals so far, but they went very well, both members were a pleasure to deal with. One deal was for $79.00 and the other was for $750.00. I was a buyer in both deals. So try it you'll like it!!
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had roughly 200 transactions on the BST, 99% of them absolutely trouble free, with 90 different members.
    Please, no offense meant, but history has shown MOST of the problems involve new members who pop in out of nowhere, start placing posts on the BST, and then don't deliver. The troublemakers are usually spotted or outed by the veterans or the Moderator right away before much harm is done.
    Probably the best way to grow into the 'circle of trust' is to establish yourself as a dedicated collector/dealer who participates in meaningful discussions and posts on the forum, and ease into the BST transactions. And also keep in mind that generally this is a pretty savvy group you are dealing with. If you are selling and grossly over grade or misrepresent your items, you aren't going to be fooling anyone. You can price your items as you like - bargains and good deals will usually be bought pretty quickly. Common items that are overpriced will generally go untouched. When buying, offering lowball offers on nice or genuinely scarce coins will get you ignored. Stay in communicado via the PM function on your transactions.

Welcome, and good luck!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Safest to buy from reputable dealers at Collectors Corner -- link at upper right of this page.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you deal with an active participant with a high post count that has been here a few years, you should have a very safe transaction. As a new member, if you were selling a coin that I wanted to buy I would require you to send me the coin before I send payment. Otherwise, no deal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    It's a safe place as long as you practice common sense.

A new member selling a $2k coin for $500 and needs a western union payment is probably not a good idea image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had any reservations about someone, I'd just ask around. It doesn't take long to find out how reliable a seller on BST is.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I have only done a few deals on the BST and have had great results buying
    and selling. Obviously the selling is not a problem, you state your price and if
    it is fair and not overly priced with good pictures of your items just sit back receive
    the money and then treat the buyer as you would want too be treated there's
    no problem. On the buying is where you can mess up. When I buy from some one
    the first time I will ask the forum if they have dealt with them before and follow
    what is reccomened. The BST is a fine place to buy & sell and just follow the advice
    that has been posted and you shouldn't have a problem. But if ya do and the guy's
    address is near me I will track him down like a dog cause that's what I do.

Good Luck & Welcome to the Fun

Tiny
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound advice above... I have had many excellent transactions on the BST. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>But if ya do and the guy's address is near me I will track him down like a dog cause that's what I do.

Tiny >>

With a name like Tiny, we'd expect nothing less! image I'll be in Jacksonville from 10-29 July... try and find me! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

I won't have to track ya I'll smell ya. image
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Had ten or so transactions through the BST board over the past six years. All have been excellent experiences. Keys to success are communication and sending the coin or payment ASAP.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had 20 or so totally painless transactions on the BST with established members. It's important to communicate well via PM and (as advised on another thread) get a phone #! I once bought a nice Fugio from a fellow who was banned right after the check was mailed! However the coin arrived without a hitch along with a nice note.
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had good results buying and selling... but I do get references from buyers to know which other board members they have bought from. I also provide references without being asked when ever I am buying from someone new.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Becky
  • Options

<< <i>THe BST is a tremendous place. One of the 'last outposts' of gentlemen and in general, a great place to do business.
    I would not hesitate at all to work through the BST . . .and you can always PM many members here to ask about any transaction if you feel twitchy . .

Many of us regard the BST as the last bastion of honor . . and you can count on those who work through that site.

Drunner >>

Well said!
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I have a lot of really positive transactions on the site mostly as a seller and it is my preferred place to start the looking/selling process. The only problem I ever had was a coin that was mailed as soon as I committed to/reserved it (from a guy I have never met or even talked to on the phone) and I sent the check the next day but it took almost 2 weeks to get to him mind you with the honorable post date to back me up. The whole time I told him at any point I would cancel the check and paypal the money and cover the fees but asked for patience which he gave me without so much of a problem. That kind of trust and respect is rare in life and I am grateful for this place. But we are both established members, well depending on who you ask image
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Like others have said, just use common sense when buying things. If the price is too good to be true, it usually is. Someone new might not follow up on a deal, ect. Some people, like me, have a list of everyone we have dealt with, both selling and buying. If someone is on my list, it means I had a positive experience and wouldn't have any problems buying or selling to them again. If you are really unsure, just ask in the forums if anyone has dealt with said person. No one likes to get scammed and we usually try and out would be scammers.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    The best part of the BST is that it's self policing. If someone gets screwed in a BST transaction, they start a thread here complaining about it and exposing the miscreant that didn't act properly in the transaction. If warranted, a lynch mob is formed to met out swift justice. I'm kidding about the last part but many times the offending party is ostracized from future transactions which is why most BST participants conduct themselves in a very ethical manner with the utmost of courtesy.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's safe when the door remains open after the deal. When relationships are established, it's a lot easier. That's the pleasure of the transaction, which is ultimately built on communication. And that creates the "safety" net.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we are all putting ourselves to some degree of risk showing, talking about...exposing our coins, faces, websites emails......Its a risk we take like the risk we could be hit by lightning, yet we ont run for a bomb shelter when a storm comes. A determined individual, just looking at one persons posts long enough....could be outside his door (or inside his house) in a very short time.

THAT SAID, Id glady buy sell to anyone on this form who has a few hundred posts and I know them.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I only had great transactions on the BST forum but I only buy from members I know or members that have good references.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will note that several years ago I bought a couple of coins from a guy that cashed my check but did not deliver the coins. With the help of the membership the guy had a deputy sheriff knocking on his door and the coins showed up at my place about a week later. Needless to say he is no longer a member here.
    Since that happened I have made it a practice that I will only deal threw regular PayPal (not the gift option) with others until we establish a mutual knowledge of each other. I consider that deals on the BST are at first like going into a new neighbor’s poker game, only take to the table what you’re willing to lose. After you are known and you know the others you’re dealing with you tend to be less leery and the stakes can go up.
    As a guide I make sure I have their real Name, Address, email, and phone number. And be ready to give the same to others you deal with. And don't be too reluctant to call them if you have any concerns on the deal.
    And as noted above being brand new to this forum do not be surprised if you try to sell something if you get few takers we are a pretty leery crowd about that.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Whatever you do, ensure you wrap your coins... you never know where the other parties coins have been! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036
    Ive foolishly blundered into deals on the BST with little thought in the past , invarioubly it's been with well established posting members of the US Coin forum and ive not once had any hint of hassle.Gold,high end coins,my newest camera,silver bullion and all without a hitch over the years.
    As others have mentioned,stick with people who have a track history here as participating members and you won't go far wrong.I was lucky perhaps that it's always been long time members,i tend to look for that now.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Safest to buy from reputable dealers at Collectors Corner -- link at upper right of this page. >>

thats a safe bet as well image happy hunting
  • Options

<< <i>Safest to buy from reputable dealers at Collectors Corner -- link at upper right of this page. >>

Good suggestion for those that don't mind paying retail prices. I've gotten better deals on the BST since the seller and buyer cut out the middleman.

• Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I've only sold on the BST. And I have had nothing but a positive experience in doing so. One time though, a package showed as delivered. The member got home from work and the package wasn't there. Don't know if it was ever found. I should contact him and ask. image Gosh, I don't even remember who it was...time to review some PMs.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    BST board is great.... it's amazing how fast the seller ships!

Plus around here on the PCGS board I'm older than dirt.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>BST board is great.... it's amazing how fast the seller ships!

Plus around here on the PCGS board I'm older than dirt. >>

What he said. image

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you hear an echo ?
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

Good suggestion for those that don't mind paying retail prices. I've gotten better deals on the BST since the seller and buyer cut out the middleman. >>

It's true I normally price my stuff a few bucks over what I would get from a dealer if sold to them and my stuff never lasts more then a few days.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Bst is great and safe......right now however me and a few others haven't heard back
    or received items from a member that had stellar feedback and references from some well respected members.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I find I do most of my transactions on the BST. The pricing is generally better, it's easy to find out if someone is reputable, and most folks are willing to haggle a bit.

And it's great if you are looking for something. My most recent transactions were after I posted that I wanted to buy some gold. The variety, quality and prices of what was offered was fantastic! I wish I could have bought more there was so much neat stuff.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If the person on the BST is a regular on the coin Forum for a period of time, they are OK

or they would have been outed a long time ago. Some folks use the BST and are not regulars

on the Coin Forum. These folks should be checked out with the old timers for their opinions or

if they have had successful transactions with the person. There are a few and I emphasis a few

questionable folks who use the BST and one must be wary of these unknown entities.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never a bad experience for me, and actually some awesome deals with great great service. I have picked up wonderful world, USA, medals, tokens, IHC's etc here.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I had any reservations about someone, I'd just ask around. It doesn't take long to find out how reliable a seller on BST is. >>

Well said. I've used this method and had absolutely no problems.

I've had far more issues on Ebay w/horrible "buyers" than on the BST.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>If I had any reservations about someone, I'd just ask around. It doesn't take long to find out how reliable a seller on BST is. >>

Well said. I've used this method and had absolutely no problems.

I've had far more issues on Ebay w/horrible "buyers" than on the BST. >>

I agree with you!

BST is a great and safe place, less headaches than eBay, either for selling or buying.
    Though, on eBay for common items you get a little more money.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file