Home U.S. Coin Forum

1926 sesquicentennial gold

stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
here's a new piece i am excited about. i need a better camera! i can't capture a good image no matter how hard i try. i know it's a lousy photo set, but care to guess the grade based on what you can see?

what's hard to capture is some sweet burnt orange luster.

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna say it's a MS63 based on the pics.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm gonna say it's a MS63 based on the pics. >>

image 63/64
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say MS-63 with a shot at MS-64.

My camera has amplified every flaw, but here is the piece from my collection, which is a MS-64. The most often seen flaw I see in this issue is copper spots. Well over half of the Sesqui $2.50 gold pieces I’ve seen have them. Some of the examples of this coin that I've seen have a wonderful sunrise affect behind Independence Hall on the reverse.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice looking pieces. My guess is MS 64.

Do copper spots actually affect the grade? I thought they were considered a sign of originality. (I could see how a collector would reject a coin with spots in bad places on aesthetic grounds, of course)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63... based on the photographs..... could be better/worse. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Some nice looking pieces. My guess is MS 64.

Do copper spots actually affect the grade? I thought they were considered a sign of originality. (I could see how a collector would reject a coin with spots in bad places on aesthetic grounds, of course) >>

Copper spots do not lower the grade unless they are REALLY ugly. One of the exceptions I've seen has been the SS Central America 1857-S $20 gold pieces that have gone bad in the holder after they were "curated." Some of those coins are really bad.

As for a few light spots I've seen some collectors and dealers refuse to buy or lower their buying prices on gold coins with very light spotting. To me that is just plain silly. And one thing you should remember is that some dealers claim that they have never seen a counterfeit U.S. gold coin that had copper spots.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Has the "look" (and minimal hits) of an MS64. I agree with the others about the pics, but assuming it's Unc. and based on the leg friction, no better than MS 63.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go along with 63. Strictly a guess though from those pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    From the strike I'd say a 63 since my 64 seems a bit stronger. Nice coin though.

I swear I need to send mine in for secure plus. I've thought it could plus or even upgrade to 65 for a long time. Since I "made" it, I know it hasn't been resubmitted ever and I think it is a 64+ with a shot at 65 from the all the other 64 pics I've looked at. One of these days I will resubmit it.
    GMan

<< <i>From the strike I'd say a 63 since my 64 seems a bit stronger. Nice coin though.

I swear I need to send mine in for secure plus. I've thought it could plus or even upgrade to 65 for a long time. Since I "made" it, I know it hasn't been resubmitted ever and I think it is a 64+ with a shot at 65 from the all the other 64 pics I've looked at. One of these days I will resubmit it. >>

Getting a Sesqui $2.50 in an MS-65 holder is hard becasue there is a big jump between MS-64 and 65 (from $1,075 to $2,900 on the Gray Sheet). Given that these coins were struck in low relief, finding a pretty one is tough. The services do not give out the MS-65 grade on these coins like candy.
    I realize that spread is huge and that's why it hasn't been resubmitted since I first sent it in a few years ago. Of course that huge spread makes it tempting as well. I doubt it would 65, but for $20 plus shipping, it's worth a shot. I think it's a nice 64, but what do it know. No, I haven't sent it to CAC either.
    GMan
    I just got out that 64 Sesqui. It's amazing how your mind can clean up a coin and make you think it's better than it is. After looking at it with fresh eyes, too many marks under a glass for a 65. I think it's solid for the grade but I don't think it would have a prayer for 65, maybe a 64 plus but that's it.

I'm trying to find a nice Sesqui half to go with it, but I haven't seen one I like yet.
    GMan
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's the holder for it:

first of all, i need a better camera for macro photos because these photos just don't do the coin justice.

second, you guys are good. you know the grades inside and out it seems.

finally, it must be a really hard jump from 64 to 65 with this coin.

<< <i>here's the holder for it:

first of all, i need a better camera for macro photos because these photos just don't do the coin justice.

second, you guys are good. you know the grades inside and out it seems.

finally, it must be a really hard jump from 64 to 65 with this coin. >>

I think one of your photographing difficulties is that your light source is too bright or you need to set the exposure level on your camera lower. That way you might get more of the coin's detail. When you have too much light you don't the shadows and the detail of the coin is washed out.

I tried to improve you picture with some of my software, but I could not bring up much more detail.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file