Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What would you buy with $100

My son is 6 months old and one of my buddies gave me 100 bucks in ebay gift certs to get him something that has to do with cards. I've always planned on getting topps factory sets but they seem to be a wast of money and won't be too enjoyable to him when he is old enough to start collecting and trading with his buddies. i thought sealed boxes of topps chrome football and baseball might be a good idea... but it would suck if he got an auto redemption card when he cracks it open in 10 years. i'm pretty much open to any suggestions. Right now i'm leaning towards a psa 8 jeter 1993 sp. I'm hoping he is going to be a yankee fan and i think jeter has long term appeal like the other yankee greats. So its a card he would enjoy and has potential to hold or increase its value.
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    MINT 67 TOPPS ME COOKIE MONSTER LOVE 67 TOPPS MMMMMM............imageimage
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I would go with junk wax, as much as you can get for $100. 80s, 90s, whatever. Once he is old enough he will have one heck of a time opening up all those packs and maybe even a good friend or two of his could help him out and just imagine how cool they all will think that is.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be on the look out for a nice 1984 Fleer Update set, a 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany set. These seem to be going for very low prices and could yield some nice results if ever graded.

Perhaps $100 is not enough currently but you never know.

If you are going the wax route as suggested by a prior post I would say 1985 Fleer would be a great choice.

Another great choice if you could get it for the money is a 1989 Bowman Tiffany opened set.

$100 bucks does not spread to far so your choices at some point get a little limited. I would perhaps hold off and team those funds up with future funds and buy something nice if you can not find something you really like for $100 and below.

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Agreed there, except I'd go for the Topps pack run from 1980 up until you whatever year you run out of money. If I was a little kid I would think it was fun to see all the different sets though the years. You'll get to see which sets/players catch his eye and then the collecting bug will grow from there.
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    10 years out? Take the hondo and buy 3 ounces of silver bullion. Store that in a closet drawer, and when your kid turns 10, cash it in and go buy something baseball card related.....that hes into..... at that time.

Junk wax is only fun to open if you had opened the same stuff when YOU were a kid. I gave some 88 fleer and 91 OPC premiere packs to my neighbor's 11 yr old son. He had no idea who any of those guys were, except for Frank Thomas.

When your kid is 10, he wont care about packs of cards with guys like Gooden, Davis, and Puckett, and Ripken. They will simply be guys hes never even heard of.

Go with the silver bars.....store 10 years....and cash em in for a good time on something both of you will enjoy.
  • I'd suggest picking a junk year that had some key rookies and buying a complete open set to put in pages, and as many unopened wax boxes from the same year as you can afford for the $100.

When he's about 7 or 8, show him the set in pages and point out which cards are the best ones in the set. Then let him go on a scavenger hunt through the wax trying to find more of the best cards. Space it out over a whole summer - only allow him to open 2-3 packs per day.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    As much as I love to hate Jeter... I would go with the 1993 SP idea. That would probably be in the best interest of your son. Good luck!

• << <i>When your kid is 10, he wont care about packs of cards with guys like Gooden, Davis, and Puckett, and Ripken. They will simply be guys hes never even heard of. >>

When I was about 8 or 9 I went through some vending boxes my father had from the year before I was born and I loved it. It helped that a lot of the players were still active at the time, although most of them were relatively old by then (by ballplayer standards).
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the suggestions. i could always add a little so the 100 isn't firm. I wouldn't buy silver or any metals right now.. long term perhaps but i think i would be close to top ticking the mkt. not to mention its nothing card related. I do however really want a gold bar to keep in my safe. For some reason its just something i want to own... last time i checked the smaller ones would be about 50k. at this point i don't think it would be a great investment.. especially with the fed threatening to tighten.. personally i'm not very bullish on the dollar.. but if the dollar starts to strengthen down goes metals ect.. anyways back to a 100 dollar card idea. junk wax would be fun for me but suck for him. my goal here isn't only price appreciation but something that will be enjoyable.. or atleast in demand. i'm really only looking for something post 1990. i might do some research on the sb winning qbs from the 2000 - 2010 and just get their topps chrome rookie. i should come close with 100 bucks if i exclude brady
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When your kid is 10, he wont care about packs of cards with guys like Gooden, Davis, and Puckett, and Ripken. They will simply be guys hes never even heard of.

Go with the silver bars.....store 10 years....and cash em in for a good time on something both of you will enjoy. >>

Did you ever care about Ruth, Mantle, Aaron, etc?

Silver and then cash, huh? Yeah nothing more fun that that...
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    A full tank of gas and a diet pepsi max.
  • Buy him one of these Mangers Dream
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    Go the singles route and a current year Topps box. Do a time capsule of sorts with notes explaining why you chose what you did for him. Maybe throw in an idol of yours back in the eighties or nineties.

<< <i>

<< <i>When your kid is 10, he wont care about packs of cards with guys like Gooden, Davis, and Puckett, and Ripken. They will simply be guys hes never even heard of.

Go with the silver bars.....store 10 years....and cash em in for a good time on something both of you will enjoy. >>

Did you ever care about Ruth, Mantle, Aaron, etc?

Silver and then cash, huh? Yeah nothing more fun that that... >>

When I began collecting in 1987....at the age of 12......all me and my brother cared about were McGwire, Clark, Jackson, Sierra, Canseco, and Dawson. We really didnt care anything about players who we never saw play. I didnt come to appreciate the "big boys" until it was about time to lay the cards down and take a break. Did you start out by collecting vintage players who were 10-30 years past retirement?

My point is that nothing the OP buys today will hold nearly as much interest to his boy in 10 years as will what he could buy with him on his 10th birthday. And since the value of $100 will dramatically change from today until 10 years from now.....the smart play is to convert that cash into silver for that long term hold.....then on his kid's 10th b-day, cash it out and take his boy to a card show to buy something the kid really likes. Not something that YOU guys like today. Get it? image
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Instead of a 1993 SP Jeter RC (which I think is a very nice idea), I would go with a Jeter auto'd card. There are still a few out there that will sell for just under 100 bucks or you can go a bit more fancy and spend up to 150. Some real cool ones out there. RC's are great but there will always be a ton out there. Even though there are tons of Jeter signed cards, they are a bit more on the personal level from the player and highly desirable. And due to his popularity, I have a feeling that Jeter stuff will be the Mantle of his era. (Lots saying he is overpriced but demand will always be beyond supply).

Or you could go with any other probable HOFer like Griffey Jr, Pujols, Mariano Rivera, ARod....

The only suggestion I would have if you buy a signed card.....stay away from Sweet Spot autos and Sticker autos.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    When I began collecting in 1987....at the age of 12......all me and my brother cared about were McGwire, Clark, Jackson, Sierra, Canseco, and Dawson. We really didnt care anything about players who we never saw play. I didnt come to appreciate the "big boys" until it was about time to lay the cards down and take a break. Did you start out by collecting vintage players who were 10-30 years past retirement?
    >>

Actually, my serious collecting started when my parents came home from a convention and there was a card show at the hotel. My mom is a big Yankees fan and brought me home a 1961 Topps Mickey Mantle and a 1961 Topps Whitey Ford. Before then I got packs of card that were thrown in my dresser drawer. Cards were fun and I liked the gum but it wasnt until I got those 61s when my real interest came to be. That was in 1979 so I guess Mantle had been retired for 11-12 years and Ford 13-14 years.

But after that, I was into everything both modern and vintage.

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a set of Topps from the year he was born. It is a classic and even if he never knows all the players it would be cool to have the cards from the year he was born. i get that gift for all my family and friends who have boys when they are born. Girls are another story.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Get a late 60's low grade PSA Mickey Mantle and a bunch of cheap 80's (86, 87, etc.) rack pack boxes. This is all stuff he can hold and look at and it won't matter if he wants to open the packs to enjoy the cards or even start a set.
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    Add your own $149 and buy him this
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>buy something the kid really likes. Not something that YOU guys like today. Get it? image >>

Totally agree with gecko here.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would look for a decent Mays and Mantle card- not sure but it seems a 1968 or 69 SHOULD work

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    where exactly can you buy 3 ounces in silver bars gecko for $100?
  • CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    3 ozs of silver for sure

you can get them anywhere

<< <i>where exactly can you buy 3 ounces in silver bars gecko for $100? >>

Pretty much any coin shop will have them. Silver is $33.85/oz. 1oz bars sell for about spot + $1.50. So 3 bars would cost $106. I bet dad could come up with the $6 difference.image
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'd go for certified autograph cards of HOFers (any sport you like). The cheap ones (e.g., Fingers, Sutton, etc.) can often be found for $6 or under (including shipping) and even expensive ones (e.g., Berra) are often $40 or less.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I would buy...

1 2009 Bowman Chrome Baseball Box
    1 2005 Michael Morse rookie auto
    1 2005 Aflac Chris Volstad BGS 9.5 rookie
    1 2005 rookie bgs 9.5 of Justin Verlander

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a nice 1972 Aaron or 1973 Mays in PSA 8. Make sure they are nicely centered. On both you will have some money left over. You will never lose with cards like that. Won't go up a ton; but will also not go down.
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    What happens if your kid hates sports? image

Maybe just keep rolling the money over into a CD or something and when it is close to you wanting to give him the stuff you can just buy whatever he may be interested in online and give it to him.

Still think junk wax would be the most bang for your buck. Most kids won't care that they are not current players as long as the junk wax you get them includes some big names from those years that ended up in the HOF or will be in the HOF.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Gecko on this one generally, but specifically, your friend gave you the money to buy something card related, and silver is only related to cards in that you can sell it at a later date to buy cards with. That being said, I'm going to offer a suggestion that is card related.

Go to http://topps.mytradingcards.com/

and have custom trading cards made of your child and other people that are important to you and your family. If applicable, include you, your spouse, grandparents, brothers,sisters, etc. Make sure and include at least one card of the person that gave the gift. Include several poses of your child. Use the current years template for your design. These cards will be unique, and will be something your child can cherish their whole life, especially as those people pictured pass on.

Chip in some funds of your own, and buy an unopened box of the current year Topps product that matches the design of your custom set. Carefully open the packs and insert your custom cards randomly into the packs. Reseal the packs, Yes, in this instance, it's OK to reseal the pack. image

Then, when you feel the time is right years later, give your child the unopened box. Tell him there is some special inserts. He will have a blast discovering cards of himself and his family, sprinkled amongst the cards of the MLB players.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • I like the silver idea the best. Buy him 3 silver eagles from his birth year. Only reason I say that is because I bought all my boys
    a gold eagle from their birth year, and when they gradute high school, they can do whatever they want with it.
  • Hi Ron-
    new to forum, Randy at 706-352-5071, if interested in 1967 Topps it too is my favorite. I have at least 300 extras,
    mostly commons, easily Excellent or better in condition. One complete set 99.5% completed. Be interested in Your
    offers or just talk. Baseball fan and LOVER! Thank You.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    For $100, you can buy 1 raw Fair condition of a common from the greatest set ever created, T3 Turkey Red. Once he sees that thing, he'll be hooked. You could also buy 2 PSA4 graded commons from T206. If you want to go modern, you can get an auto'd 2003 Bowman Chrome RC in a PSA9 slab of Brian McCann or Hanley Ramirez.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I think some of you are missing the point. I'm not really looking for an investment idea. Ie cds or metals ect.. I've invested for him mostly in the QQQQs and alittle ine in a fodelity small cap growth etf and an emerging mkt etf. So I'm not really looking for an investment. I'm looking for something that will be fun for him as part of the hobby. Oviously I don't want to get anything that I think will be worthless in 10 or 15 years. For example if he was born in 1990 and I got him the topps factory football set he would prob have zero interest in it because its pretty much worthless. I'll like the jeter rookie auto idea. I'm also thinking about a brady bowman chrome rookie. Ill prob also get him a box of topps or bowman chrome which might be fun down the road. The vintage ideas like mays, mantle ect.. Are good but I think I want something a bit more current but will stand the test of time like those guys.
  • Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    Let the kid decied what he wants. At least he'll be happy.

That's the only advice I can give on this.

Dave