Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need help!

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
Just found out our beagle has cancer (kind of like breast cancer for a dog) and will need a surgery to remove the cancerous cysts growing on her belly. She is a loved member of our family and the vet thinks the surgery will be successful and save her life. Because of the location and number of cysts, this surgery is going to be expensive so I am going to have to sell my coins to help pay for it. I only own the following coins:

1807 Draped Bust Half - NGC XF40
1823 Capped Bust Half - NGC AU58 (spectacularly toned)
1939 Walking Liberty Half - NGC MS66*
1948D Franklin Half - PCGS MS65+FBL (nicely toned)
1964D Kennedy Half - PCGS MS66 (nicely toned)

If I take these to my local coin store they will offer such a ridiculous lowball offer that I just cannot accept. However, I need to sell these quick. Who would you recommend I send these to for a fair and quick offer? Thanks for any ideas!

BTW, I'm not interested in selling these on eBay because I can't risk the buyers returning the coins for some reason. I would prefer to have someone see them in hand and make an offer.

Thanks for your help guys.

Joe

Comments

• Options
    If you have pictures it will spur more people to be able to help, although then it might be construed as a BIN in the wrong section. But I'm sure everyone would enjoy pictures anyway image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If you list them on the BST, they should sell fairly quickly... be sure to list your asking price.

Sorry about your beagle... I hope the treatment makes her better!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    a) take good pics
    b) post on BST.

Good luck.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Good luck with it all. When I was first starting adult life, I spent money on a cancer procedure for my dog. My landlord farmer just shook his head -- a difference in the understanding of an animal's presence and position. The procedure was worth every penny (cent, pardon me) and I'd do it again in an instant.

I'll watch for the coin photos.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    Please do not confuse this with trying to sell these via this site. I don't want to cause any trouble. Here are the sellers pics I've got for any who wants to see them.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    very noble thing your doing and some nice coins!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    oh yeah, I would bst it. No fees and you can sell them very quickly!

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>oh yeah, I would bst it. No fees and you can sell them very quickly! >>

I would just hate to have to say, "No Returns." That phrase just doesn't site well with most online buyers image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Your 1823 Bust is sweet! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>oh yeah, I would bst it. No fees and you can sell them very quickly! >>

I would just hate to have to say, "No Returns." That phrase just doesn't site well with most online buyers image >>

Returns on good coins with good pictures is rare. And remember that a no return policy will cost you in the long run as it scares away some good money. Accept returns and hope for the best.
  • Options

PM Sent
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen that 1807 Draped half a few times for sale. I recall when you bought it. I don't believe an 1807 draped half in this grade gets much better.
    I also had a Beagle boy a while back. I can also see why you want to save your friend. I would/have done similar things. Now if it was a person I'd probably let them go. Dog? I try to save.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    What is your price on the Bust Half? Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your 1823 Bust is sweet! image >>

I like the 64 Kennedy too, but none of ya'll heard me state that! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Let us know when you post these for sale. (I just checked BST image)
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do anything for the hounder . . . there is nothing more noble and you need to support man's best friend to the utmost. I would do anything (and have) to be there for my two little 'girls'.

BST is best . .you won't get the static for listing things here . . . almost all of the coins are top-notch and I would want them too. I'll check the BST tomorrow . . and see what hasn't sold.

Do all you can for the doggers . . . there should be no limit. They trust us . . .do all you can.

I'll be by tomorrow .

Drunner
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do anything for the hounder . . . there is nothing more noble and you need to support man's best friend to the utmost. I would do anything (and have) to be there for my two little 'girls'.

BST is best . .you won't get the static for listing things here . . . almost all of the coins are top-notch and I would want them too. I'll check the BST tomorrow . . and see what hasn't sold.

Do all you can for the doggers . . . there should be no limit. They trust us . . .do all you can.

I'll be by tomorrow .

Drunner >>

After losing my bestest buddy after the vet administered too many vaccines at once, thereby sentencing my 3 1/2 y.o. Aussie Shep to a few weeks of agonizing pain, then cardiac arrest, then having to bring him home in a small wooden box, I feel the deepest sympathy for you, JoeLewis. My Duke was not only a member of the family, he was ME and I was HIM...he came to my football games, picked me up when I was down....the most painful thing I've experienced, so do what you can, and I wish you luck and will say a prayer.

Jeff has it right....they trust us, and there should be no limit....they'd do it for you...give 'em your heart, they'll give you yours...man's best friend is not just a phrase to be taken lightly. I know from experience, and when your friend is taken from you......it's no fun, man.

Again, my best wishes for a good outcome and speedy recovery......
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins and they should sell quickly on the BST.

Best wishes for your beagle buddy's speedy recovery!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope your dog recovers...Beagles are great companions....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could "Pawn" them for the bucks and get them back later? Any chance of doing something
    like that? Will your banker give you a personal loan with these as collateral?

Good Luck, I too just went through this with my Buddy. I miss him dearly.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I don't let myself have pets anymore because I get too attached and I just can't handle it when they are sick or get old. It just breaks my heart. Do what ever you can for your buddy, you won't regret it. Good luck and I'd do the same thing.
    GMan
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Just a thought but my buddy applied for a line of credit from the link below for an unexpected medical issue. It has Zero interest and very reasonable payments and it works for pets as well. Just a thought. Also, doesn't hurt to check around for vets.

I had taken my dog into the vet late one night because I thought she was sick. They looked her over and said they were preparing a quote. When they returned with the paperwork, they said here sign this, and we'll get started. The quote was for $6K, for 2 seperate surgeries. I decided against using them and left having paid my Bill for the x-ray's and antibotics which was over $450.

My new vet charged us $450.00 for the bladder stone surgery and $500 for her leg injury. He was known as the best and incidentially cheapest in the business. You should have seen the line out the door at his business. No less than 60 people standing in line when they open, daily.

link
  • Options

<< <i>Just a thought but my buddy applied for a line of credit from the link below for an unexpected medical issue. It has Zero interest and very reasonable payments and it works for pets as well. Just a thought. Also, doesn't hurt to check around for vets.

I had taken my dog into the vet late one night because I thought she was sick. They looked her over and said they were preparing a quote. When they returned with the paperwork, they said here sign this, and we'll get started. The quote was for $6K, for 2 seperate surgeries. I decided against using them and left having paid my Bill for the x-ray's and antibotics which was over $450.

My new vet charged us $450.00 for the bladder stone surgery and $500 for her leg injury. He was known as the best and incidentially cheapest in the business. You should have seen the line out the door at his business. No less than 60 people standing in line when they open, daily.

link >>

Thanks. I have a strict "no debt" policy, so I'm trying everything to avoid taking out a loan. We are definitely shopping around for the best care/cheapest combination we can find. If I can sell these coins then I think I'm home free.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your WLH has toning that is usually found on very high grade pieces. Nicely preserved. At 66, it should move fairly well, IMHO.

I wish your 'best friend' good luck in recovery.
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Joe =( We lost our mini doxen last year and that was really rough. I hope for the best for you and your puppy!
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    Keep us updated on what you do

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel for you man. Lost my 16 yr old border collie 3 weeks ago. Don't know if I would ever want to go through having to say goodbye to a pet again.
    Good luck on the treatment.

The coins are really nice. You should do fine. The strike on that Walker is hammered. And the overall look on the CBH is similar to many 63's. In fact we
    had one up here a few weeks back and there isn't all that much difference. AU58's just don't come any better than that. The crusty original surfaces on the draped
    bust half are nice as well. I hope they find some good homes on the BST.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Your WLH has toning that is usually found on very high grade pieces. Nicely preserved. At 66, it should move fairly well, IMHO.

I wish your 'best friend' good luck in recovery. >>

so PM sent

X2 on a painfree recovery
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks. I have a strict "no debt" policy, so I'm trying everything to avoid taking out a loan. We are definitely shopping around for the best care/cheapest combination we can find. If I can sell these coins then I think I'm home free. >>

I nominate you to the presidency of the US, the Senate, or any set in the Congress you'd care to fill!!!!!

Good luck to your dog!
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for your support. I've sold the 1807, 1823, and 1939 halves. I just posted the Franklin and the Kennedy on the BST.

Joe
  • Options
    All are sold. Thanks guys! I really didn't intend to sell them here, but thew overwhelming support I received via PM was VERY appreciated.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you sell my coins, too image ?
    I hope your dog gets better.
  • Options

<< <i>All are sold. Thanks guys! I really didn't intend to sell them here, but thew overwhelming support I received via PM was VERY appreciated. >>

Thank YOU for the wonderful coin and being such a wonderful person to do this for you dog.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I woulda outbid whoever got the capped bust half if I knew about this earlier image
  • Options
    Keep us updated on how she's doing! image
    Justin From Jersey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file