Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Peace Dollar Vs. Liberty Nickel Opinion Please

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been considering a more "classic" coin set to work on since I have such a modern(65-date) focus. I enjoy both sets and have completed them both in the past in circulated grades. Both sets are relatively short and have no special designations. They have a similar number of key dates. Im hoping to get some high grade specimens with time this time around once I pick a series. My question is which series would be the one to hold most of its value or perhaps even increase in value? I have a good idea, but would love some expert opinions.

Comments

• Options
    Silver dollars will always be more collectible.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go after what interests your, not just a series that you (or someone else) things has investment potential. Silver dollars always have been more popular than Liberty nickels. Whether that translates into a good long term investment, I don't know. One thing that is for sure, however, is that junk will always be junk. Buy nice specimens of whichever you settle on.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK since you're asking, my opinion is Peace Dollars. I also have both sets in circulated grades and am just never tempted to do any more with the Liberty Nickels, just finished it and put it away. On the other hand my Peace collection gets my attention more frequently and an occasional upgrade. I am more likely to show it off in it's red Capitol plastic display.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Silver dollars will always be more collectible.

ditto
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Why don't you collect whatever catches your eye? That way you'll NEVER complete a series/set and will never lose interest once the series/set is completed.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Following your heart goes without say, but since you're asking what our hearts endorse:

Ditto for Peace dollars. They are an excellent learning series--one canbuild a circulated set with only the 1928 costing over $120. One can also spend a fortune on just one coin. In either case, they are challenging, because they are definately a series in which the coins cannot be judged by grade or holder alone, particularly when looking at quality of strike in the 1921. And, the key dates change depending on the grade, as the series is chock full of condition rarities. They are a good way to get to know classic coins.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty nickels will always be more popular than Peace Dollars. JMHO
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I'd personally go with Liberty nickels mainly because I find Peace dollars hideous. That being said, I'd like to make a Dansco album of Peace dollars. Only because I love a big piece of silver and a Dansco album of Morgan's would be a huge pita.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions! I like them both which is why I thought I would put it to a vote. Under right circumstances I would like to complete both sets in MS65 or better. I was pretty sure the forum would vote towards the peace dollar. Its a tad shorter, so I will probably start there once finances improve.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Silver dollar

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace Dollars.... a very underappreciated series.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Peace Dollars.... a very underappreciated series.... Cheers, RickO >>

I am not sure that one of the most collected sets could be called under appreciated but who knows. Liberty nickels are pretty scarce compared to Peace Dollars and while I don't like copper coins Lib Nickels value and history should be weighed next to Peace dollars intrinsic value, popularity and size/visual appeal.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I would say that Peace dollars will only go up in value if silver does. I see very little numismatic increase in Peace (or Morgan) dollars. They don't even keep up with inflation so realistically, they go down in value.

Liberty nickels are collected for numismatic reasons. I think they have a greater chance of increasing in value.

Plus as others have mentioned, Peace Dollars are probably the ugliest non-modern coin in existence.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Liberty nickels will always be more popular than Peace Dollars. JMHO >>

Please explain.

Joe.
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both! But I would start with the Peace Dollars.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    These are both series I have enjoyed and each has it's merits. I worked on both sets at the same time and suggest that as an option for you to consider. There will be times when you go a long period without finding the "right" addition in one of the series. By working on both you will have more opportunities to build your collection.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollars look their best when they are true gems (well doesn't everything - but these are kind of blah in lower grades). Unfortunately for many of the dates, true gems are quite scarce and quite expensive, but would make for an impressive set.

A set of proof Lib Nickels would look nice, and is not too difficult to assemble, unless you demand ultra gem cameos.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    I'd say Liberty Nickels based on your criteria.

You said you wanted something "classic" to collect. To me personally, I think the liberty nickel is more classic because it is more obsolete.

You also asked which one would hold its value better. Because Silver increased so much over the last year then it could backslide, and if it did, it might take Peace Dollars with it. Liberty Nickels seem to be a really stable series price-wise.

Now, in spite of what I just said above, what you didn't ask is which series would appreciate better. I think Peace Dollars have more potential because Liberty Nickels seem to be less appreciated by the masses.

You also didn't ask about alternatives. But If you had, heres a recommendation for you: Theres no law that says you have to collect an entire set. For example, I'm only collecting the First Dansco Album page of Buffalo nickels because I find the second half of the series to be less challenging and less of an investment. What I'm saying is that you can roll your own. Here's some suggestions: Buy a blank Dansco album page and fill it only with bargains in some series you like. For example, try to fill a Dansco album page only with Seated Liberty Dimes or Bust Dimes that are problem free that you got at a good price. Alternately, buy a one a year set of Peace Dollars and fill it only with the most difficult mint mark (...S?...) to help insure your set will maintain its investment value. Or only collect the Liberty Nickels before 1900. Parsing sets in this manner helps ensure investment potential. (Hmmm...this deserves its own thread....)

Steve
    Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    You could get the best of both worlds and collect classic Silver Dollars. Word on the street is Trade Dollars are pretty cool.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd vote for Peace, but that's just because they're big enough to actaully see! The characteristic variations in strike and luster are easy to distinguish in the various issues and the history behind each is fun. Each issue has a strong personality. You might get some of that in the Nickel series, but IMO it's much more subtle.

I really enjoyed collecting first a XF/slider set then a MS set. They start to have good eye appeal around MS64/5 but certain 63s look fabulous. I'm tempted to look for a set of 58's though. A good set would be visually stunning. Certain 65s are sorta blah. They're also the last of a breed (who hasn't heard of a silver dollar?), and there is plenty of interesting history behind the design and their production.

Plus, if you and 10,000 other people start collecting Peace Dollars, mine become more valuable!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having some fun with the Everyman Peace set for awhile. Second time around for me as like you I put toghether a XF/AU set of RAW ones years ago and sold it.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace Dollars are the bastrd child to Morgans. And Seateds. And Bust. And contain no classic rarities. Liberty nickels are the 2nd most popular classic nickel behind Buffs. And contain a classic rarity.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait till some 1964-Ds show up, esp if there are less than 5 image
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Peace Dollars are the bastrd child to Morgans. And Seateds. And Bust. And contain no classic rarities. Liberty nickels are the 2nd most popular classic nickel behind Buffs. And contain a classic rarity.

True from the perspective of a conversant collector... But not from the masses of the widget collecting proletariat
  • Options

<< <i>Just wait till some 1964-Ds show up, esp if there are less than 5 image >>

If any still exist, they wont come up until after the Langboard case is finalized and it goes to the family.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollars n Morgans for me.
    Intrinsic value, numismatic, and a large collector base.
    Plus they're big n shinny image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Liberty nickels are pretty common. But they sTart getting scarce in grades above G06.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I like both series, but my vote is for Liberty nickels.

Peace dollars share a similar problem with the St Gaudens $20 series; beautiful, sculptural first year issues followed by pancake flat, low relief disks. A typical 1921 Peace dollar looks better than the sharpest 1922-35 dates. When I see Peace dollars, I gaze at the 21 and can't help but compare it to the others. In addition, all Peace dollars (with the exception of the 28) are condition rarities. You'll need to spend loads of money on a branch mint MS coin that's virtually "worthless" in circulated grades. That always bothered me.

Liberty nickels have a special 19th century charm, and several dates are legitimately scarce in grades as low as VG-10! Just finding a solid, problem-free 1885 in F-12 or a sharply struck, mint state 12-s with positive eye-appeal is challenging enough. A complete, attractive MS set of Liberty nickels is a major accomplishment.
    True, Liberty nickels don't have the flash and silver sparkle of a large silver dollar, but they possess a quiet, "under the radar" appeal. Most are heavily worn, so when I see the most common date in grades such as VF or XF, I always take a second look. I see it as a survivor. There's something special about that.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In both of these series, any MS65 money you pay will be for condition rarity. Of course, a few date exceptions but they were Keys back in the day so may have a greater population in that grade. The concepts of collecting these series in high grade is interesting but youre really dependent on continuted or improving interest...which may not come.

Youre no noob and I dont think your get a warm fuzzy feeling from these coins.

I suggest this often...and ONE day I will take the plunge, but it seems to be a wonderful side road of Numismatics at a serious level are Vermont Coppers. Throw that MS65 out da window and just concntrate on warm handled copper. In time, I do think a well put together set of Vermont coppers would outshine any peace or libnick set. Just my as usual slanted opinon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file