Home Precious Metals
Options

Opinions On Silver

I was about to let 50 ounces of sterling and coins go to the refiner last Friday but the silver market has taken a nasty turn and now I'm uncertain as to what to do. If silver is going to go down below 25 an ounce BEFORE it goes up over 34 then I want to sell now. Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can know what will happen but advice is appreciated.
Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what if it goes below $10 and stays there for 2 decades?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Point taken, to the refiners it goes.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was about to let 50 ounces of sterling and coins go to the refiner last Friday but the silver market has taken a nasty turn and now I'm uncertain as to what to do. If silver is going to go down below 25 an ounce BEFORE it goes up over 34 then I want to sell now. Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can know what will happen but advice is appreciated. >>

Do you need the money now? If not, I would wait.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was about to let 50 ounces of sterling and coins go to the refiner last Friday but the silver market has taken a nasty turn and now I'm uncertain as to what to do. If silver is going to go down below 25 an ounce BEFORE it goes up over 34 then I want to sell now. Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can know what will happen but advice is appreciated. >>

Do you need the money now? If not, I would wait. >>

I don't *need* the money now but I would like to reinvest it if silver tanks back down to 20$ an ounce.
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't *need* the money now but I would like to reinvest it if silver tanks back down to 20$ an ounce. >>

No offense, but you seem awfully stressed over a "potential" $750 gain.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what if it goes below $10 and stays there for 2 decades? >>

I wouldn't hold my breath for this.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't *need* the money now but I would like to reinvest it if silver tanks back down to 20$ an ounce. >>

No offense, but you seem awfully stressed over a "potential" $750 gain. >>

I'd stress over a dollar gain image Tis my nature.
    Justin From Jersey

• Options

<< <i>what if it goes below $10 and stays there for 2 decades? >>

With the world's financial systems coming apart at the seams, is there any chance that silver will be below $10 for decades? PIIGS nations are about ready to kill the Euro. People need a safe place to store their wealth, the dollar is not it.
    “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Gecko's comment. Not only that, but that potential $750 gain is taxable if realized.

If you are depending only on the price of silver in making your buy/sell decisions, then why not just use SLV where the transaction costs are smaller and the trading is instantaneous?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Gecko's comment. Not only that, but that potential $750 gain is taxable if realized.

If you are depending only on the price of silver in making your buy/sell decisions, then why not just use SLV where the transaction costs are smaller and the trading is instantaneous? >>

I enjoy purchasing "junk" lots. I've pulled a few nice pieces out of them included a gorgeous love token on an 1857 Seated Dime.
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    sterling is better to sell in a strong buying upswing in the price. there will no doubt be pressure again when silver approaches $40.

again gecko makes a blunt and true comment
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the world's financial systems coming apart at the seams, is there any chance that silver will be below $10 for decades? PIIGS nations are about ready to kill the Euro. People need a safe place to store their wealth, the dollar is not it.

the world was ending in 1979, too, remember? There managed to be a few more booms and busts in various asset classes since then... including a very quiet period for metals from the late 1980's through the early 2000's.

gosh, come to think of it, the world was ending in the early 1930's, too.. and then things got better

also, there was quite a bit of a dust up in 1907... 1881... the 1870's... the 1850's... the late 1830's.. the mid 18-teens... the late 1790's... the 1770's... the 1750's..

edit: but, probably, "this time it's different" image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With the world's financial systems coming apart at the seams, is there any chance that silver will be below $10 for decades? PIIGS nations are about ready to kill the Euro. People need a safe place to store their wealth, the dollar is not it.

the world was ending in 1979, too, remember? There managed to be a few more booms and busts in various asset classes since then... including a very quiet period for metals from the late 1980's through the early 2000's.

gosh, come to think of it, the world was ending in the early 1930's, too.. and then things got better

also, there was quite a bit of a dust up in 1907... 1881... the 1870's... the 1850's... the late 1830's.. the mid 18-teens... the late 1790's... the 1770's... the 1750's..

edit: but, probably, "this time it's different" image >>

You mean to say it won't end on 12/21/2012? Shoot, I've been wasting precious money on food stuff, guns and ammo and solar power for the outhouse image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I planned on selling my silver and gold around now. Dumped the most of the gold about ten days ago, and figured I'd hold onto the silver a LITTLE longer for logistical and other reasons. But the recent 10% dump had really ticked me off. I've got most of my silver in the trunk of my car and will be stopping off at the local dealer on my way home from work this afternoon. Ugh.
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Last week I made a trade for a Gold coin I needed for a type set.. Ended up trading 70 oz's Silver.... NOW I'm kinda relieved..

But.... Was also thinking about trading a 100 oz bar for 2 Gold coins (again, needed for type sets). _Now I'm watching my Silver bar shrink in value ;(
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion; silver is a ductile metal that is a grayish color in it's natural state with a touch of deep blueish hue.
    It is a great conductor of electricity and is an effective anti-bacterial agent.
    The value of an oz of silver is generally equal to a good pair of Levi's. Usually not much more or less. Just as gold is
    worth the value of a well to do man's three piece suit.
    Since it is seen as a commodity today it will fluctuate a bit more than it did some 50 years ago. So, even though
    it has swings equal to ten percent in the value it will always return to the cost of a pair of jeans.

So, if you want to know where silver is going then go to Sears, Penny's or another equally fashionable shopping
    place. There you will see the true value of an ounce of silver.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the decision is really that close, I would sell half and keep half.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>My opinion; silver is a ductile metal that is a grayish color in it's natural state with a touch of deep blueish hue.
    It is a great conductor of electricity and is an effective anti-bacterial agent.
    The value of an oz of silver is generally equal to a good pair of Levi's. Usually not much more or less. Just as gold is
    Since it is seen as a commodity today it will fluctuate a bit more than it did some 50 years ago. So, even though
    it has swings equal to ten percent in the value it will always return to the cost of a pair of jeans.

So, if you want to know where silver is going then go to Sears, Penny's or another equally fashionable shopping

bobimage >>

Like!!
    BarefootJuan

Positive BST Transactions with a bunch of members

One man gathers what another man spills
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My opinion; silver is a ductile metal that is a grayish color in it's natural state with a touch of deep blueish hue.

bobimage >>

Um...so a year ago, Sears was selling Levi's for around $20? And ten years ago they were around five bucks?
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

bobimage >>

Um...so a year ago, Sears was selling Levi's for around $20? And ten years ago they were around five bucks? >>

yup, close to right on if you watch sales. Levi's 501's were reg price at $29.99 a year ago and if you watched the sales
    you could get them for about $20. I don't know about ten years ago. But, it's the average that counts and not the
    daily, monthly or yearly spike up or down. Just averages and it's about true. It's just an old adage that I suppose
    you've not heard before.
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

bobimage >>

It will "always" return to the cost of a pair of jeans? What kind of nonsense is that? Jeans are made of cotton.....a plant that can be grown constantly. Silver is a finite element....one which is used up, never to be seen again. From 1985-2011, the price of silver has been as low as $3.50/oz and as high as $50. I cannot recall EVER seeing a pair of new Levis on sale for $3.50 in my lifetime, and they certainly didnt cost $50 a few months ago either. While they may cost $34 today, thats simply a convienent coincidence.

26 year chart of silver......looks NOTHING like the cost of jeans over the same time period.
  • Options
    Another catchy development: discount on 90% silver coin shrank today from 105c an ounce to 88c an ounce. Usually behaves that way when silver is bottoming.

Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    stockergreenstockergreen Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Buy on the next dip