Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you have this problem...So many beautiful coins...So little money?

BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
I am rapidly reaching that point. Just made a huge purchase from Larry Shapiro.

I almost feel like I purchased his entire business. That's not really true though, I

believe that I left him two dozen coins or so.image
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He does have a lot of nicely toned pieces. Color spree?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Spree? it was so big , that I can't ever mention it to Mrs Bear

    or she will kill me. Really she will.image

    In any event, Larry is one of the hard working dealers. He has

    a great eye for quality, especially original toning.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it white and frosty?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I bought about 13 coins, 90% or so had lovely light toning.

    I was very pleased with the coins and the fair treatment I received

    from Larry. In fact, we are going out to a deli on Monday so I can

    give him a check. As for lunch, Larry is springing.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at web sitesf rom time to time and sometimes buy something.

    I enjoy mostly going to shows where I can hold a coin in hand or look at auction lots.........and never walked away empty handed.

    I have some money but I never feel an urgency to buy because I have found that even when I miss a coin or a deal there has always been a coin popping up on the horizon just for me.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry's one of the good guys, Bear. Hope you're leaving a few Walkers in the marketplace for the rest of us!image

    "Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one: image

    image
    image


    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have this problem...So many beautiful coins...So little money?

    My understanding, based on what I read, is that there is a shortage of beautiful coins, and billions of dollars are burning holes in the pockets of wealthy collectors. So clearly, Bear, you are in a most unusual situation.
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Well I got my cash from the sale of our house and part

    of my investment strategy involve the purchase of coins.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I already have a 1916 but I can tell you

    that the 1940 Walker in PCGS MS-68 has gone

    into the fuzzy bears den.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear, I don't. While there are many coins I see which I find attractive, there are very few that "sing to me."
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear your calling this a collection but I'm hard pressed to see any sort of set developing as it just looks like a rapid accumulation of coins image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭
    "Do you have this problem...So many beautiful coins...So little money?"


    Probably more so than youimage
    Derek

    EAC 6024
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    To each there own my friend. If you took the time to read my criteria for

    this collection, you will see that there is in fact a plan. It is a plan that I am

    following very carefully. It was never my intention to necessarily collect

    a complete series of coins , although I am rather heavy into high grade

    condition rare Walkers. This collection is being built to generate a profit, after

    a 10 - 20 year period off the market. As I always say, everyone should collect what

    the want, in any way they want for any purpose the want. It is a freedom not granted

    in most of our daily work lives, but it is granted in our collecting habits.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>To each there own my friend. If you took the time to read my criteria for

    this collection, you will see that there is in fact a plan. It is a plan that I am

    following very carefully. It was never my intention to necessarily collect

    a complete series of coins , although I am rather heavy into high grade

    condition rare Walkers. This collection is being built to generate a profit, after

    a 10 - 20 year period off the market. As I always say, everyone should collect what

    the want, in any way they want for any purpose the want. It is a freedom not granted

    in most of our daily work lives, but it is granted in our collecting habits.image >>



    What will you do when the funds can no longer match the desire to acquire?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Why it is simple. At that point, my task will be ended and I shall stop suddenly

    and totally, in more ways then one.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you aren't addicted to Jelly Doilies!!image

    image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bear for your comments....
    Just having buyers appreciate what I do makes it all worth while..
    I love finding people very special coins,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Why it is simple. At that point, my task will be ended and I shall stop suddenly

    and totally, in more ways then one.image >>



    I continue to love your irreverent style. Stay awesome bear!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Do you have this problem...So many beautiful coins...So little money?"

    That has been the story of my numismatic life.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Doesn't everyone have this problem. I find that it goes from nothing to buy to too many good coins to buy never in between
  • Options


    << <i>I am rapidly reaching that point. Just made a huge purchase from Larry Shapiro.

    I almost feel like I purchased his entire business. That's not really true though, I

    believe that I left him two dozen coins or so.image >>


    .....................................................................................................................................

    I believe my handle answers your question.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file