Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My son and daughter's mint sets went down $245 over the weekend...

I keep trying to talk them into selling their mint sets and using the proceeds on their other (classic) sets... they won't budge. I hope their sets are still worth something in 10-12 years! image
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern mint sets are not a smart buy in the long run. Like most modern coins, they might be popular for a while, but when they get some age on them it's out of sight out of mind for most collectors.

    As for your son and daughter perhaps they are not cut out to be collectors of "classic coins." If that is not their interest then it makes no sense to push them into those purchases. Coins are for fun, not for investment.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the so called "modern" sets become so called "classic" sets, in about 50+years or more, they will bring a premium thanks to inflation, just like the "classic" sets did .image

    "Live long and prosper"
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭


    << <i>Modern mint sets are not a smart buy in the long run. Like most modern coins, they might be popular for a while, but when they get some age on them it's out of sight out of mind for most collectors.

    As for your son and daughter perhaps they are not cut out to be collectors of "classic coins." If that is not their interest then it makes no sense to push them into those purchases. Coins are for fun, not for investment. >>



    They're already collectors of classic coins... I was just hoping they'd sell their modern coins so daddy didn't have to spend as much money on their classic coins! image

    Edited to add: We started with their proof sets... the 1999 set absolutely DIED! That was a lesson learned (sans retention)! image We then moved to MS since there's no cap (PR70DC) and they're more believable (not perfect). Their mint sets were going well, but now it looks like it's time for an adjustment. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>When the so called "modern" sets become so called "classic" sets, in about 50+years or more, they will bring a premium thanks to inflation, just like the "classic" sets did .image

    Probably not the case. Look back 50 years to the 60's and 70's and tell me what premium they have
    now? None, zero, nada, zilch (unless they have silver in them).

    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Edited to add: We started with their proof sets... the 1999 set absolutely DIED! That was a lesson learned (sans retention)! We then moved to MS since there's no cap (PR70DC) and they're more believable (not perfect). Their mint sets were going well, but now it looks like it's time for an adjustment. >>



    I've been a collector since the early 1960s, and I've seen this happen time and time again. Did you know that the 1968-S Proof set once sold for $35? Ditto for the 1964 Proof set and the 1975-S Proof set even had a promotion because the cent was "the rarest" Lincoln cent since the 1914-D!!!!imageimage

    Having said that I didn't sell my one clad and one silver 1999 Proof set because I've got too much collector in me. I want sets with papers and nice boxes, and believe or not you can't say that for most of the 1999 Proof sets I see ... Not that anyone cares ... image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck, I would put then up for auction if it were me. Cut your losses now before they are only worth face.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

    Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find mint sets and PROOF sets to be a labour of love, not profit.

    If your motive is increase in $$$, probably modern government released sets is not where you want to be.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I keep trying to talk them into selling their mint sets and using the proceeds on their other (classic) sets... they won't budge. I hope their sets are still worth something in 10-12 years! image >>



    You are talking about the registry sets in your sig and not government issued mint sets, right?

    (I'm asking this more for the benefit of those telling you to sell them before they are worth face)
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭


    << <i>I find mint sets and PROOF sets to be a labour of love, not profit.

    If your motive is increase in $$$, probably modern government released sets is not where you want to be. >>



    It's money spent... it was never an investment. However, this is a good lesson for them... keep something or sell something... it makes them think.

    P.S. Why does a Californian/Idahoan constantly use British spelling? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I keep trying to talk them into selling their mint sets and using the proceeds on their other (classic) sets... they won't budge. I hope their sets are still worth something in 10-12 years! image >>



    You are talking about the registry sets in your sig and not government issued mint sets, right?

    (I'm asking this more for the benefit of those telling you to sell them before they are worth face) >>



    mingot - You are correct!

    P.S. Your icon has always scared me! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,524 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Good Luck, I would put then up for auction if it were me. Cut your losses now before they are only worth face. >>

    Their collection will NEVER be worth face unless of cpurse they crack them out for video game purchases.

    If Larry is using the POCGS Price guide to report that the sets have dropped $245 in value over the weekend..............all I can say is.............Good Luck getting ANY modern coin to sell at PCGS Price Guide levels.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.



    The name is LEE!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree, you have to love them to keep them. they can always move on
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Good Luck, I would put then up for auction if it were me. Cut your losses now before they are only worth face. >>

    Their collection will NEVER be worth face unless of cpurse they crack them out for video game purchases.

    If Larry is using the POCGS Price guide to report that the sets have dropped $245 in value over the weekend..............all I can say is.............Good Luck getting ANY modern coin to sell at PCGS Price Guide levels. >>



    We purchased at 50-60% of PCGS guide... (proofs were purchased at 30-35% of PCGS guide).

    The PCGS Price Guide for modern coins reminds me of the Scott Stamp Catalogue... EVERYONE knew their prices were exagerated, so when Scott decided to do the "right thing" (adjusted their pricing to current, non-inflated pricing), EVERYONE still assumed their prices were exagerated. So when Scott listed a stamp for $100 that was worth $60 in the beginning... then adjusted their prices to the "accurate" pricing ($60), the new value of the stamp became $36! When a "reputable" business establishes a level of expectation, it will always carry forward... the eventual cause-and-effect of that expectation can destroy more than their reputation! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file