Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1958 Topps Red Wilson PSA 10 Pop 1

Red Wilson PSA 10

Wow this card is going nuts. There are two bidders really battling it out. I can't imagine what the price will be if one or two more come in on this card.

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    found this reference in his bio on Wikipedia:

Wilson's 1958 baseball card, Topps No. 213, showed him in a truly bizarre pose. The company painted out the natural background of the pictures that year and, in a photo showing Wilson swinging his bat, painted the bat out of the picture too--showing Wilson looking as if his right arm were amputated a few inches below the shoulder.

i guess Topps hadn't worked out that whole airbrushing cards thing yet.....as a catcher i'm sure he would have appreciated being given his arm. image
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    That appears to be a newly graded card.
    I wonder if it was a crack out 9
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    From what I see this is not a 10 in my book. Some people are perfectly happy buying the plastic and not the card.
  • Options
    top right corner bothers me a little , but it is still a very sweet card.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Great looking card. Good luck to all bidders. I am sure it will find a fine home to some grateful and appreciative collector.
  • Options
    we submitted the card raw and scored a 10....
    so far the auction is moving in the right direction....
    thanks for the interest
    rick
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice going Rick and good luck with the results.

You have a real battle on your hands and there is no doubt it will be higher at the end.

• Options

<< <i>Red Wilson PSA 10

Wow this card is going nuts. There are two bidders really battling it out. I can't imagine what the price will be if one or two more come in on this card. >>

its over $4000 now, hopfully we get alittle more excitement from this one.
    70's and 80's baseball cards
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Red Wilson PSA 10

Wow this card is going nuts. There are two bidders really battling it out. I can't imagine what the price will be if one or two more come in on this card. >>

its over $4000 now, hopfully we get alittle more excitement from this one. >>

Less than 90 minutes left ... hoping to see some last second heroics ... maybe a 3rd bidder will jump in with their snipe and steal the show. >>

I'm sure this is what Rick is hoping for. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Rick.

I bet these 2 guys are going to be bummed when the winner shows up with his snipe.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Gosh ..this card looks an a lot like this card sold on ebay and purchased by you Rick. Little help with the link please.
  • Options
    Nice bump and profit BTW. Congrats
  • Options
    get ready for sniping...
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options

<< <i>Gosh ..this card looks an a lot like this card sold on ebay and purchased by you Rick. Little help with the link please.
    160572876388 >>

I don't think it's the same card, unless the Kruk scan is crappy: LINK
  • Options
    .....or not. LOL
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Congrats to the seller image
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    The print defects around "Tigers" and "A" in catcher look the same.
    Heck of a crack and re-sub if it was previously a PSA 8.

Robb
  • Options
    The Kruk card is a poorer scan but if you compare the markings very carefully....
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the same card to me. I think.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows.

• Options
    good to know some things are still worth more than a signed insert of a #1 draft choice.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    I like the 8 better..LOL!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    If you look at other examples of this card, the print dot defect pattern is random. But on these two they are identical; most likely the same card.
  • Options
    Come on treetop...you just like the 8 because there is a little bit more left border.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Nice crackout!! There is hope for my Sport Kings yet!!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The print defects around "Tigers" and "A" in catcher look the same.
    Heck of a crack and re-sub if it was previously a PSA 8.
    Robb >>

WOW ... WOW ... WOW ... what a great eye Rick. Congrats!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    If this is indeed the case. This is why I think cards getting a bump is troubling. You take a $28 card and turn it into a $4,000 card.

PSA would have done a major dis service to the original submitter. The idea of bringing in a third party to confirm a grade and they potentially help you leave $4,000 on the table in one card.

I hope this was a different card submitted as this does not give me a lot of confidence if true.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    nevermind - it's not worth the headache.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Hell of the flip. I need to start buying cheap PSA 8s and cracking them out.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I do not care what any one thinks but this card is so cotton pickin nice it looks perfect to me.58s are the hardest cards to find in higher grades IMO.
    Very poor stock that year.

GREAT CARD Rick!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    This is why you need to be PSA's DADDY. Don't take what they say as Gospel. Congrats to Rick and shame on PSA. 8's should not become 10's. There is supposed some form of "expert" opinion rendered. The original submitter got screwed. I use PSA to verify what I already think...very rarely do I just accept a grade I don't agree with. I wait and then resubmit. It's the only way you can survive in the grading game.

Mickey71
  • Options
    This is a weird thread. At first I thought it was the same card, now I'm looking at it again and the left edge on the 8 looks different. I expanded it using the beauty of technology & examined it closely. Now I don't know what to think. If it's not the same card why would the OP buy the 8 with such a nice raw example to submit? But the print markings are the same. So it might be the same card. I'm confused maybe the OP can set it straight.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Ron does OP stand for original poster?

If so I have nothing to do with the transaction other then just pointing out a hot item on EBAY.

I do think this would be a massive black eye for PSA though as an 8 should never turn into a 10. I have said in the past PSA should get it right the first time and others have made the comment they can make mistakes.

The grading standards should never allow for a 2 grade jump ever. There is no reason to get cards graded if so becuase what is the point of PSA's opinion if it can change that dramatically.

Like I said I am hoping these are two different cards.

• Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    If the seller of this card wasn't a board member this thread would have taken a completely different direction; there I said it.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>If the seller of this card wasn't a board member this thread would have taken a completely different direction; there I said it. >>

or if certain board members hadn't purchased hundreds, if not thousand of dollars from this certain board member, this thread would have taken a different direction. LOL!

The card is definitely a super nice 8, and a ugly 10. I could see someone purchasing the card as an 8 with hopes of getting an bump to a 9, but it going from an 8 to 10 is a huge error on PSA's part, either grading it as an 8, or grading it as a 10.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Maybe someone should send PSA at LEAST a thank you card thanking them for the special gift! image
  • Options

Geez I wonder who here has never sold an over graded card?

Good for you.
  • Options
    With all due respect, this is not about the over grading of a card.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a horse in this race, or know the seller, but common sense tells me the cards are the same. Look at the print defects.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    I'm sure Rick Probstein will be on this thread again soon too answer all the inquiries you guys have! Pretty funny when the "crud hits the fan".
  • Options
    I don't think "crud" has hit the fan! All he did was get a $3,972 "gift". Nothing wrong with that. Who amongst us would not take that gift and be grinning from ear to ear??
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I mean, it's unequivocally the same card; same print dots, same edge chips, same border ratio. That said, it was simply playing the lottery and winning. Anyone who is passively hinting at foul play should take the time to look at the chipping patterns on the edges. They remained the same on all 4 sides of the card.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>With all due respect, this is not about the over grading of a card. >>

Not even partially?

What exactly is it 'about' then?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    If there is an issue it is about the acuracy of the grading both times. A card that graded a PSA 8 should never under any circumstances grade a PSA 10.

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    pretty sure ahkmedbinladen

asked Rick a question in an older thread that was never answered...

maybe this has something to do with it...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    There are only 53 PSA 10's out of over 140,000 graded from this set.

• Options
    times change, graders change.....along with protocol.

that PSA 8 was graded years ago, perhaps with a stronger sense of reduction for perceived flaws or the use of glasses bigger.

way to go Rick. there are many who have been quite successful cracking cards, but that was a quantum leap.
  • Options
    DPeck - sorry about that, you were the OP, I meant the seller. He's on the boards, maybe he can clear up the confusion.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    It's a gorgeous card IMO, nicely done by Probstein.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I tink ddat is weri guud kahrd.

weri well dun!