Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show us your Gem/ Super Gem Peace Dollars

I think "Peace" dollar design is one of the best design in American coinage. I started collecting them in Gem/ Super Gem condition earlier this year. I started off with the common dates. I plan to get the key dates as I learn and see more of these coins.
Here is what I have collected till date. What do you guys think? I am on the right path?

image

image

image

If you like collecting Peace dollars I would like to see what you have in your collection.
Thanks
BD
«1

Comments

  • Options
    JackrabbitJackrabbit Posts: 266 ✭✭
    Nice start.... Might get expensive on the key dates... Just don't give up and it might take you some time. Most of us has more time, than money.. Good luck to ya..
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a coin I see often ... real Gem + Peace Dollars that is ... but my, oh my I would love to see that 24 in hand!

    I'd say that is a great start ... don't give up!

    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Those are three amazing Peace dollars. Very very nice!

    How about near-gem? This came out of a PCGS 64+ holder and now resides in my 7070:

    image
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1925 PCGS MS66 image

    image

    GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    image
    Thank you DC!!! image
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭


    << <i>Nice start.... Might get expensive on the key dates... Just don't give up and it might take you some time. Most of us has more time, than money.. Good luck to ya.. >>



    Thanks. This is going to be a long term project. I want to stick to MS65 and higher wherever I can afford them. SO for its going to be a while before I get some of the key dates.




    << <i>Not a coin I see often ... real Gem + Peace Dollars that is ... but my, oh my I would love to see that 24 in hand!

    I'd say that is a great start ... don't give up! >>


    Thanks. The 24 was bought yesterday so I have not seen that in hand yet.



    << <i>Those are three amazing Peace dollars. Very very nice!

    How about near-gem? This came out of a PCGS 64+ holder and now resides in my 7070:

    image >>



    Thanks a lot. That is a nice 23. I want to do a Dansco with with MS63--65 grade Peace once I am done with these.
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭


    << <i>1925 PCGS MS66 image

    image

    GrandAm image >>



    That is a beautiful 25.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623 ✭
    Not quite but it tries

    image
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭


    << <i>image

    Thank you DC!!! image >>



    Nice looking copy. I am hoping we will see a real one some day.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you look like your doing a really good job already.
    Ive seen so many peace dollars in 66 and 67 that were GROSSLY overgraded.
    A cac sticker will really help you in the short and long run
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    image
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>
    image >>



    GORGEOUS! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭


    << <i>Not quite but it tries

    image >>



    Nice strike on that 34. I have not thought of the VAM's yet but maybe later as I gain more experience.



    << <i>you look like your doing a really good job already.
    Ive seen so many peace dollars in 66 and 67 that were GROSSLY overgraded.
    A cac sticker will really help you in the short and long run >>



    Thanks. Its good to hear I am on the right track. I agree with you about the overgraded stuff.



    << <i>image >>



    That is a nice looking 25. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭


    << <i>

    << <i>
    image >>



    GORGEOUS! image >>



    Thanks Ankur.
  • Options
    Your "23"looks like a nice Vam 2,beautiful!!!!!
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    Nice, nice coins! I've limited experience with the series, but think you are absolutely on the right path. This is a series where marks really count, it's important to select pieces with mark free cheeks on Liberty. Luster varies by date, but booming luster is another attribute you should strive to find in the ones you purchase, I'd say you're off to a great start!
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Not gem, but I like the "look" and call it PQ for the grade:

    image
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

    image

  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    oooops
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭
    Some great looking coins guys. Keep them coming.
    Here is another 24 I have. I think this would get atleast a '+' if resubmitted.

    image

    Thanks
    BD
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Peace Dollar is one of the more beautiful coin designs in US numismatics. These coins fell out of favor with collectors some time in the past 15 years, and they do not have as great a following as Morgans by any means. There was intense interest in high grade Peace Dollars in the 1980s and first few years of the 1990s. Several of the key dates have dropped greatly in price since the early 1990s. I have to wonder if new specimens came to light in the past 15 years that bolstered the populations.

  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    image
  • Options
    image

    My best-grade one, in MS65. I'm doing the other end of the spectrum, Peace dollars in any grade. Circulated Peace dollars versus gem uncirculated ones are like two completely different series--different key dates, different personalities and flavor, and different challenges. Many of the coins you will eventually seek will be worth more than my entire set.

    Peace dollars are definitely a great learning set; I wish I had gotten into them earlier.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options


    << <i>Some great looking coins guys. Keep them coming.
    Here is another 24 I have. I think this would get atleast a '+' if resubmitted.

    image

    Thanks
    BD >>

    The strike is too weak even for a 65!
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    yes, they are beautiful aren't they !!!!
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of my GEM or near GEM peace dollars.

    image
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭


    << <i>The Peace Dollar is one of the more beautiful coin designs in US numismatics. These coins fell out of favor with collectors some time in the past 15 years, and they do not have as great a following as Morgans by any means. There was intense interest in high grade Peace Dollars in the 1980s and first few years of the 1990s. Several of the key dates have dropped greatly in price since the early 1990s. I have to wonder if new specimens came to light in the past 15 years that bolstered the populations. >>





    << <i>The Peace Dollar is one of the more beautiful coin designs in US numismatics. These coins fell out of favor with collectors some time in the past 15 years, and they do not have as great a following as Morgans by any means. There was intense interest in high grade Peace Dollars in the 1980s and first few years of the 1990s. Several of the key dates have dropped greatly in price since the early 1990s. I have to wonder if new specimens came to light in the past 15 years that bolstered the populations. >>



    I agree with you that peace dollars have fallen out of favor with collectors in last few years. But I have been reading Q. David Bowers ‘Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia’ and there are some very interesting numbers in there . I have been reading as much as I can find about peace dollars and RWB’s book has been really helpful.



    << <i>image >>


    That is a sweet looking 25.



    << <i>My best-grade one, in MS65. I'm doing the other end of the spectrum, Peace dollars in any grade. Circulated Peace dollars versus gem uncirculated ones are like two completely different series--different key dates, different personalities and flavor, and different challenges. Many of the coins you will eventually seek will be worth more than my entire set.

    Peace dollars are definitely a great learning set; I wish I had gotten into them earlier. >>


    I never thought about collecting peace dollars in circulated grades but looks like an interesting endeavor.
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭
    Finally got a chance to photograph the 1924-P.

    image

    I just love the toning on this one.

    Thanks
    Bhushan
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice to see the positive Peace vibes. There are some gorgeous coins on this thread!

    Here's a 1924 PCGS MS66
    image
    image

    This one isn't quite a gem, but for a 1923-S, it's probably as close as I'm ever going to get, PCGS MS64+
    image
    image

    Man scratched holders suck! The Peace Dollar series is the first that I completed a Date/MM set for in uncirculated grades. I collected each in MS63 to start with to learn the ropes. At present, the set contains mostly 64's with a handful of gems and a few 63's from the harder dates. I've become much more picky (educated?) and most of my recent additions show up wearing stickers. If you're looking for gems in all the issues, I hope your checkbook is amply supplied! It's interesting to me that the grading standards change depending on the issue. It takes a VERY nice 1923 coin to make it into a 65 holder. At the same time, there are some real dogs that look like MS60 or 61's to me making it into 63&64 holders for the 1928-S and 1934-S issues.

    I really hope we are in a period of low overall interest in Peace Dollars. That means we're in a good position to acquire them!

    Your 66+ is nice! That's a great value for the money grade in the common dates IMO.
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234 ✭
    BryceM, I like your 24. Its looks solid for the grade. I know scratched holders suck for taking pictures. I have decided to collect the series and then reholder/ grade review them when I am done collecting all.
    !923-S, 1925-S and 1928-S are going to be the hardest to find nice examples as the overall strike on these issues is bad.
    I understand it would be difficult to collect the whole series in a minimum gem grade but it is going to be a very long term project. I am 28 now and I am hoping by the time I retire I would be able to complete the series in gem grade in all dates/MM.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if you can maintain interest in the series for that long. If you can, you will undoubtedly have one of the finest sets in existence. If you're going to do this right, you'll need to be on a first-name basis with the bigger dealers in the series. It would be well worth your time to hit a few shows and get to know them, let them know what floats your boat, and let them know you're "in the market".

    When I look back at my hobbies & interests between my early 20's and today it would appear to anyone that I bounce from one thing to another. At various times I've been fanatical about guns, planted aquariums, coins, artwork, hunting, bird dogs, and the list goes on.

    The advantage in coin collecting must certainly go to the person who stays at it the longest, provided they do it with an open eye to prevailing wisdom and markets.

    I have a couple more coming this week. I'll post photos if they're as nice as I think they are.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageVery nice!!
    Becky
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Dragon,Now yours have some characterimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    "It's interesting to me that the grading standards change depending on the issue. It takes a VERY nice 1923 coin to make it into a 65 holder. At the same time, there are some real dogs that look like MS60 or 61's to me making it into 63&64 holders for the 1928-S and 1934-S issues." Thats unfortunate!

    image
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭


    << <i>image >>

    Jack,I am SOOOO Enviousimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anacs MS 64

    image

    image

    (vams and more currently owns this coin and would sell it to you.)
  • Options
    I have never owned a Peace dollar... image
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

    Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • Options
    Iv been reading this thread & have a few questions.
    I have a bag of Peace Dollars with no letters, what does that mean. Are they collectable more or less then lettered coins
    Whats a Vam or Cac …Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No letters? Like no letters at all, or no mint marks? If they have no letters at all, then they're not really Peace Dollars. Am I making sense? No mint marks would be from the Philly mint, but I supose everyone knows that.........

    CAC is a company that provides opinions about assigned grades.

    VAM attributions specify certain die pair characteristics that some collectors find interesting. (Van Allen & Mallis). The rest of us have a hard enough time just keeping track of date & mint marks!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,330 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>image

    Thank you DC!!! image >>



    Nice looking copy. I am hoping we will see a real one some day. >>



    that makes two of us. id like to maybe own one someday as well
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .
    .
    that is one satiny lady liberty there canadanz

    i'd love to take her out for an evening on the town as well as slide under the covers so soft and smooth mmmmm
    .
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭



    << <i>image >>



    That is a nice looking 25. Thanks for sharing. >>



    that is totally BS, that coin is waaaaay better than an ms66, unless there is something i am missing

    @$ me off to see only 66

    what an absolute beauty
    .
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭

    image



    I WANT THIS COIN!!!





    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Skyman,Coming in second.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1923 and 1922 (PCGS-06746918 and PCGS-18684493) look great PeaceBD and dragon! image

    As for the 1964. We just need some to exist and an owner as brave as Joan image
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭
    Now I want to see a few 34-S's that look like that 1925 coin... wowza what a beauty! image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

    Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65 Cracked Planchet...

    image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file