Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1898 2 1/2 liberty gold...how would you grade it !?

bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

image
image
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




Comments

  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    MS62 now but when it was holdered I bet it was higher. image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>MS62 now but when it was holdered I bet it was higher. image >>

    It is holdered..... image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes I know but I am thinking it looks like it turned in the holder.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Yes I know but I am thinking it looks like it turned in the holder. >>

    Turned how .....? Appreciate your opinion.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    posting some nice stuff today bidask image

    I'm also curious what darktone sees

    I think it's grade as Gem plus

    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    sorry I am seeing the central area looked rubbed and then hazed over time.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077 ✭
    MS63.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>posting some nice stuff today bidask image

    I'm also curious what darktone sees

    I think it's grade as Gem plus >>



    I thought it was a Gem MS - 65ish...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I thought it was a Gem MS - 65ish... >>



    No, it's nowhere near MS-65 because of spots in the field and little tick marks on the face and elsewhere. The coin is either a strong MS-63 or a so-so MS-64.

    This is a type that can come very nice, and the high grade ones must be attractive. For example this one is only in an MS-63 holder. I think that this one could up grade.

    imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

    I don't actually collect gold coins - but I thought the surfaces were
    pretty nice on the 1898 Quarter Eagle. The spot of the Rev did bother
    me - but I still think its a Gem [ and now that I'm a little better educated ]
    or a near Gem. [ MS 64 ish ]

    BTW - the MS 63 you posted, Bill, is a super looking coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the 63-64 grade. Looks like a nice coin with original skin.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    67+
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>67+ >>

    Goldeneye!...ding, ding, ding, ding...almost,

    Grading gold can be TOUGH.........

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Wow- sorry for the low guess- it must be a stunner in hand.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Really yummy is what I grade it!image
    Becky
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish all my gold coins were as rubbed, spotted, and marked up as this 1898.

    It's essentially a near flawless gem right from the mint, with some slight mellowing in the surfaces.
    Thought the tiny planchet flaw in the upper rev field could keep it from MS67 if it has any substantial depth to it.
    But I still would have guessed MS67. About a perfect cheek and as nice as flawless as one could expect on a small gold coin.
    Not sure PCGS would agree with a 67 grade if sent to them raw. I would agree that Bill's piece should upgrade to MS64, but
    it's not close to the quality of the 1898. There are no tics on this coin...only the most minute grazes. Fwiw the MS69 1894-s $5 Lib
    has multiple grazes on the high points. I think the surfaces on the 1898 are totally original and the those shadows or dark specs are
    just imperfections in the planchet. It's hard to find pristine original gold that does not have at least some alloy spotting. Look at the
    rim on the coin: rough/granular, sharp edged, and covered in luster. No signs of ever being mishandled.

    Great coin and a good date to boot. I am a buyer of all raw MS62-MS64 gold that looks like this....at 30% premiums to bid. image

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file