Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HOW DOES ONE DEFINE A " WOW COIN" ?********************

BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
This is one of the most difficult things to describe. It is a little

like describing pornography, "Tough to define, but I will know it

when I see it". Two coins can have the exact same grade and technical

qualities and yet, experienced dealers and collectors can spot the WOW

factor. It is something about WOW, that increases the value of one coin

over another by as much as 2-3X. Certainly magnificent toning could play

a role.We have all seen the unbelievable prices, common date toned Morgan

dollars can bring. Also we find that the WOW coins may have the originality factor

working for them. No dipping or fussing with the coin. Then there is the matter of

luster and the type of luster. There is a big difference between the over bright and

shiny look of a dipped coin, It seems to lack all personality and character. In fact, it

looks very much like many other similar widgets. The luster of a WOW coin seems to have

that deep, mellow and rich luster, that only age and good fortune can cause. Sometimes a

strong strike can give a coin WOW such as the Standing Liberty FH Quarters. But I have seen

MS-67FH strong strike quarters that were not WOW coins. It is my own opinion, that there is

a subtle coming together of a number of factors, that if balanced and pleasing, gives a coin that

something extra , that makes it more desirable , (and expensive) then its equally graded sister coin.




The only way to know a WOW coin, is to actually see examples of such coins and impress ones

subconscious mind with the impressions, of the subtle differences between a merely average, or

even a nice coin, from a true WOW coin. 5, 10 or 20 years from now, collectors in the know and

smart dealers, will still be able to differentiate the WOW coins from the merely nice coins. They will

then pay the price necessary ,to obtain such rare and truly beautiful, WOW coins for astute collectors.

Collectors who understand value, beauty and the intangible factors that make such coins worthy of

prices in multiples of sheet price. If one looks at my Estate Collection, there are many coins that have

WOW FACTOR and it really shows up when there are a large number of them shown all together. It aint

cheap, but it will afford significant rewards for the selective and patient collector
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I am going back to bed. Someone please wake me when there is a response.

    image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear, no one is more critical when it comes to buying coins than I am. I do my homework, and get at least one, usually two people who know more than I do to review any potential coin purchase. I know how to grade what I want to buy. And I don't want to pay too much for it, either, because since I'm not in TDN's league, I know that if I pass on a particular coin, another one will eventually come along.

    I spent four full years looking for a MS 65 Barber Half that was good enough to be in my collection. I spent eight years looking for an AU Large Eagle Bust $ that was good enough to be in my collection.

    The above being said, a 'wow' coin is a coin I see that impresses me so much, that I am willing to get out my checkbook, start writing the seller's name, and ask, "how much?"

    In the 40 years plus I've been collecting coins, I've seen many beautiful coins. Ie., Van Simmons' 1818 Capped Bust Quarter in PC 5 made my Thursday Trip to Long Beach worthwhile.

    But I've only seen two "wow coins." One was Bruce Morelan's 1814 Plan 4 Classic Large Cent in an OGH PC 4 BN holder. The other is the AU 53 1802 Narrow Date Bust $ which I bought at Christmas.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I know your taste in coins. I do not know of a collector, more fastidious about

    the quality of their coins then you. Stay true to that philosophy and you will continue with your

    success.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow coins do not have to be sold.....

    Wow coins sell themselves......

    I do not need an Alec Balwin type to sell me a WOW coin.

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Wow coins do not have to be sold.....

    Wow coins sell themselves......

    I do not need an Alec Balwin type to sell me a WOW coin. >>



    image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I do not need an Alec Balwin type to sell me a WOW coin."

    If I saw Alec Baldwin selling a coin, I would RUN in the opposite direction.... The slime dripping off any coin he had would be enough to disqualify it as AT.

    Oh, and you are correct Bear... the WOW factor (which is elusive to define), will, in the long run, make such coins the best investment.

    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The perfect combination of rarity, condition, and eye appeal = WOW.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Midlife, that is about as good and simple a definition

    as I have ever heard. However, It sure is difficult to get

    all three to match the proper level of quality.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you see it you say
    wow without thinking
    LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file