Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 UHR Grading Sob Story *** Photos up Now *** The Conclusion ***

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone. I've been dabbling in coins for a couple of decades but only recently got interested in collecting some quality items. I had an experience that was disapointing enough that I joined the forum just to see what you all think.

I got a mint sealed 2009 UHR coin last year for around $1800 if I recall correctly. Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I figured I'd send it in to PCGS to get it graded and put in a proper holder. I absolutely never opened the plastic mint holder and I'm certain the shipping box was genuinely mint sealed. The coin looked perfect to my very novice eye prior to submission. The coin comes back with a PCGS Genuine .92 cleaned holder.

HUH ?????????

If it is actually cleaned, then it must have happened at the mint since it sure as shootin' never got out of the little capsule after it left. Scratched, low grade, or something else I could understand, but cleaned?

Anyone else ever hear of this? Think it's worth anything over melt value? I thought the Mint was being pretty careful to ship only quality coins in this series. Guess not. The experience was distasteful enough that it put me completley off the hobby ........ for about 48 hours. image

In other news, the graders confirmed my newly acquired belief that I know next to nothing about grading. Some slider Peace dollars and "genuine" eBay purchases were enough to clear that up. No big surprise there. Now, I'm spending more time at shows looking at lots of coins and getting to know a few dealers a little better. I'm also sticking to PCGS/NGC coins for anything valuable enough to deserve it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a painful story...and strange....have not heard of something like that happening from a mint sealed package. They do carry a premium to melt...but you will likely have to crack that thing out in order for that to happen. Until your grading skills improve I would suggest that you purchase coins that have already been holdered...and from dealers that have good reputations.

Good luck and hopefully you stick around to chat about happier coin stories than this in the future.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very strange...
    Ive neve heard of this either! Do you see any hairlines when looking at the coin with a magnifying glass? I would resubmit.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    When I got the e-mail from PCGS I actually called them and asked them to take another look. If they actually do that (they said they would), and they stick to their .92 grade, I'm pretty much sunk. I don't have it back yet, but you better believe I'll be taking another close look, again.

As far as the coin, I have zero interest in keeping it. I don't feel right about cracking it out to sell again as a "raw" coin in the mint holder either. If it looks pretty good in hand under a glass, maybe I'll try again with NGC or ANACS. I dunno. Be watching eBay in a couple of weeks. Should be entertaining to see what a .92 will go for.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very strange...
    Ive neve heard of this either! Do you see any hairlines when looking at the coin with a magnifying glass? I would resubmit. >>

I've seen UHRs still in the mint packaging with die polish lines all over them... would look like cleaning to someone who didn't know any better. But I've seen PCGS certify these too with plenty of die polish lines... pretty weird!!! If you look at your coin and really don't think it's been cleaned... I'd call PCGS and see if you can send it in for a grade review or something like that. Not a good experience for a newer customer and I would think PCGS would be helpful in figuring this out for you or at least confirming that you really have a cleaned coin.

Good luck and keep us posted. Post some pics if you can, maybe that would help???

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would resubmit. >>

I would crack it, sell it as is at a show and pick up a new one at the same show already in a holder. You might spend a few extra bucks...but maybe not?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    die polish lines may be confused with cleaning.

I have a submission of coins in with die polish lines that I halfway expect to come back cleaned, even though I didn't. And if the person that sold them to me did, then the person forgot to clean the end roll toners and a few with scattered colored spots throughout.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942
    I have seen another members picture of a UHR with heavy die polish, some of these recent mint products are disgusting.
  • Options
    When I get it back I'll post some photos. Hopefully it will be enough to show something, assuming there is something to see. I need to upgrade my camera stuff with a good macro. So far the coin upgrading has been trumping the lens upgrading.

Yup, maybe I'll just crack it out and drop it at a show and get another. I don't need a MS70. A representative MS69 would be fine. I just wanted a nice example of the nicest coin to ever be minted, IMHO.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Just for reference, here's the obverse of mine. I can imagine many people thinking these are hairlines and they are not, they are die polish lines.

• Options
    Wow, I'd be pretty sore to see that on my new "king of the world" Saint. So, if we work on the assumption that they're die polish lines, why wouldn't PCGS be smart enough to know that? Maybe I'll call them tomorrow. They still have the coin so maybe I'll get somewhere. Pretty hard uphill battle for a first-time member and first-time submitter though.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>Wow, I'd be pretty sore to see that on my new "king of the world" Saint. >>

I would to except you can't see those lines without a glass. That image is 10X or so and they show up well. image

The naked eye (at least mine) can't pick those up.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>die polish lines may be confused with cleaning.
    . >>

Not with PCGS, this is a rookie move IMO.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give them a call and have them give it a once over they will it it's not shipped. and image to the nut house.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>die polish lines may be confused with cleaning.
    . >>

Not with PCGS, this is a rookie move IMO. >>

Ditto.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the input. I used to admin a forum for a much smaller hobby (aquarium plants) and responses like this took a day or two to develop. I'll call the guys at PCGS tomorrow and see where things stand. The cert check still shows .92 and supposedly the graders were going to take another look today. I'm guessing I'm out of luck on this.

So, if they wouldn't mistake die polish lines for cleaning, I'm left to conclude that some dude (or dudette) at the Mint wiped it off on their grimy shirt and put it in a nice, but overly ridiculous fancy box? Sounds believable to me I guess, but I really don't remember seeing anything concerning on the coin before I sent it in.

When I get it back I'll crack it out and get some good high-res photos.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Yea, that's a lousy thing to have happen to a new person in the hobby. Would take the 'fun' out of it pretty quick. Your comment about sticking to pre graded stuff for awhile on your new purchases shows good self evaluation of where your at currently. I don't have a lot to offer regarding teh UHR other than what has already been posted. If you know it wasn't out of box before submission for grading, I'd definately try it at NGC if it comes back in a .92 slab.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    sent a 07w $50 AGE to Pcgs listed on line as no grade available-checked the certificate it said ms70.When the coin arrived it was ms70 and still says no grade available when I check my online submissions.So may want to double check the cert number-hope it's a mistake for you as well
  • Options
    If you have a bad feeling about the coin, get rid of it. Buy one already graded. You will be much happier.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well here is a thought that comes to mind,,,, someone else originally received the coin. It had something on it they didn't like and they tried to remove it. Didn't work and they returned it to The Mint. The Mint didn't notice anything wrong with it and sent it back out and you received it.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can you post a photo?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well here is a thought that comes to mind,,,, someone else originally received the coin. It had something on it they didn't like and they tried to remove it. Didn't work and they returned it to The Mint. The Mint didn't notice anything wrong with it and sent it back out and you received it. >>

Agree that this is the most likely scenario. The cleaning may be a small localized area---removing a toning spot with a toothpick for example.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234

<< <i>Hi everyone. I've been dabbling in coins for a couple of decades but only recently got interested in collecting some quality items. I had an experience that was disapointing enough that I joined the forum just to see what you all think.

I got a mint sealed 2009 UHR coin last year for around $1800 if I recall correctly. Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I figured I'd send it in to PCGS to get it graded and put in a proper holder. I absolutely never opened the plastic mint holder and I'm certain the shipping box was genuinely mint sealed. The coin looked perfect to my very novice eye prior to submission. The coin comes back with a PCGS Genuine .92 cleaned holder.

HUH ?????????

If it is actually cleaned, then it must have happened at the mint since it sure as shootin' never got out of the little capsule after it left. Scratched, low grade, or something else I could understand, but cleaned?

Anyone else ever hear of this? Think it's worth anything over melt value? I thought the Mint was being pretty careful to ship only quality coins in this series. Guess not. The experience was distasteful enough that it put me completley off the hobby ........ for about 48 hours. image

In other news, the graders confirmed my newly acquired belief that I know next to nothing about grading. Some slider Peace dollars and "genuine" eBay purchases were enough to clear that up. No big surprise there. Now, I'm spending more time at shows looking at lots of coins and getting to know a few dealers a little better. I'm also sticking to PCGS/NGC coins for anything valuable enough to deserve it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. >>

Bryce, welcome to the forums. I know you from APC. I would also recommend sticking to already graded coins from PCGS/NGC when new.
  • Options
    PeaceBD, what is your username at APC? Small world!

I called PCGS today. "We're short staffed due to the Long Beach Show...... They haven't gotten to that review yet."

What do you think the chances of them changing their mind are? I'd guess <5%. We'll see.......
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Just for reference, what is a .92 grade? I've never even heard of that!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you buy it directly from the mint?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>Just for reference, what is a .92 grade? I've never even heard of that! >>

Refers to part of the numeric code on the slab. It indicates a cleaned coin. Here's a list of codes for no-grade's placed into genuine holders and a little article about them.

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5518&universeid=313
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>did you buy it directly from the mint? >>

Did you?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Nope, got it off an eBay auction in Nov or Dec 2010. It was advertised as mint sealed, and arrived to me looking like that description was 100% accurate. I suppose it's possible someone opened it, trashed the coin, carefully resealed it up, and sent it to me, but I doubt it. The seller had a stellar reputation and is pretty active on the coin scene. He packed the unopened book separatley since they didn't ship to him together originally. All the mint packaging, foam, carboard, etc, was in perfect condition. The silly wooden box would grade MS70PL, I'm sure. I have no reason to doubt the seller's integrity, but, like I said, anything is possible.......
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is strange, it might be the first no-grade for an UHR? Certainly the first I've heard of.

Must be a fluke, either it was a return from the Mint or something happened while assembling.

Would love to see a photo of it.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    tjc2120tjc2120 Posts: 714
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    tjc2120tjc2120 Posts: 714
    Just kidding, I still have it.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234

<< <i>PeaceBD, what is your username at APC? Small world!

>>

PM'ed you.
  • Options

<< <i>Just for reference, what is a .92 grade? I've never even heard of that! >>

He is referring to a coin in a details holder; if you look closely at the serial number, you there is a code attributing the problem. A designation of 92 corresponds to cleaning.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope, got it off an eBay auction in Nov or Dec 2010. It was advertised as mint sealed, and arrived to me looking like that description was 100% accurate. I suppose it's possible someone opened it, trashed the coin, carefully resealed it up, and sent it to me, but I doubt it. >>

this is pure speculation, but could it be that the coin in the mint packaging was replaced with one that was cleaned? that seems a more likely scenario.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nope, got it off an eBay auction in Nov or Dec 2010. It was advertised as mint sealed, and arrived to me looking like that description was 100% accurate. I suppose it's possible someone opened it, trashed the coin, carefully resealed it up, and sent it to me, but I doubt it. >>

this is pure speculation, but could it be that the coin in the mint packaging was replaced with one that was cleaned? that seems a more likely scenario. >>

Replaced by who? Me? The guy that sold it to me? The people at PCGS?

I know what I didn't do. I've only ever had one example of a UHR. Like I said, the mint package looked good to me. Could he or someone who sold it to him have pulled a switch-a-roo? Maybe. All sorts of dishonest things happen in the world. The people at PCGS do something sketchy? I suppose, but from what I know of PCGS, I doubt it. The difference is only a few hundred bucks. If you're going to risk your job for something, I'd do it with a $100,000 coin, not something still deriving 75% of its value from bullion content.
  • Options
    So, an incredible update!!!

I just looked at the cert # for my coin and it has been changed to MS65!!!!!

For this particular issue, not so good, but infinitely better than a .92. In terms of actual market value the difference is probably slight.

Still, I am very glad I called the people there to ask them to review it. According to the pop report there are now 3 graded lower and 13,111 graded higher. I now have one of the rarest holders in existence. ROFLOL.

So, anyhow, I'll sell it down the river and get a holdered 69, or 70 if I feel particularly wealthy that day. There are alligators at every one of life's turns.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << die polish lines may be confused with cleaning.
    . >>

Not with PCGS, this is a rookie move IMO.

Hardly. I've sent in choice MS civil war seated quarters and halves with heavy die polish and had some come back cleaned. In each case I just sent them ATS and got the
    grade I was figuring on. What's odd here is that even the original 1907 high relief saints come with irregular die polish lines such that they always look wiped/cleaned upon first glance.
    One would think it should be something that all graders, in all eras, would be on the lookout for.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I have a story similar to that. I bought a Silver quarter proof set from the mint. I submitted all the quarters and 1 came back altered surfaces. huh????
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    MS65?

Photo's are definitely a must.

BTW: "MS/PR-65 Minor marks/hairlines though none in focal areas, above average strike"

I'm actually quite shocked that any of these "highly prized" coins which the US Mint blew their own horns over (big time) had ANY die polish marks at all.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

this is pure speculation, but could it be that the coin in the mint packaging was replaced with one that was cleaned? that seems a more likely scenario. >>

Replaced by who? Me? The guy that sold it to me? The people at PCGS?

I know what I didn't do. I've only ever had one example of a UHR. Like I said, the mint package looked good to me. Could he or someone who sold it to him have pulled a switch-a-roo? Maybe. All sorts of dishonest things happen in the world. The people at PCGS do something sketchy? I suppose, but from what I know of PCGS, I doubt it. The difference is only a few hundred bucks. If you're going to risk your job for something, I'd do it with a $100,000 coin, not something still deriving 75% of its value from bullion content. >>

i was suggesting that some could have switched it before it go to you. not pcgs or you. but, like i said...pure speculation based on your original comment that i quoted. i am happy it turned out not to be cleaned. that's great!
  • Options
    It is my understanding that the UHR boxes can be opened from the bottom without breaking the seal.

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    I will certainly post photos once I get it back. I'm sure there is something that they're seeing. Suprising to me they changed their mind. Fortunate for me, but at this point it was unexpected.
  • Options
    OK, I just got the coin back from PCGS today.

When I look at it closely, I have to admit that something bad happened to this coin at some point. I've included the best photos I can take with my current camera setup. The reverse is fine and approaches, but probably does not qualify for a prooflike designation. The obverse has some real issues. In good light, and with a glass, I can see parallel hairlines between the rays to the left of liberty's waist and below the bottom of the torch. These hairlines are oriented from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock. Closer inspection shows ligher hairlines above and below liberty's left arm in the same orientation. I can't really tell with the optics I have if they extend across the devices but they are certainly evident in the fields.

Of course, a peace dollar (which I'm sorta familar with) looking like this would get at minimum a MS67 grade.

I really don't know what to think. I'm truly wondering if this coin was broken out of the mint box, messed with, and carefully sealed back up inside. Some sucker (me) then came along on "Unload-Your-Junk"Bay and scooped it up. The only other explanation is that they are localized die polish marks (unlikely, says me), or that a mint employee wiped a dirty rag across it at some point in the minting process. The affected area is pretty well demarcated too, so I'm guessing someone tried to fix something and then unloaded it on eBay.

The correct course of action for me is clear ..... sell it, and get one I like. The difference in actual $ shouldn't be too much to jump up to MS69. It's too bad, since the obverse has that PL look and it could have been a nice coin. Chalk one UHR off the PQ list. It's still pretty enough though, and would fill a hole nicely for a gold type collector.

Whaddya all think?

• Options
    I also learned to never assume anything, scrutinize everything from a "sealed package", let someone else take the grading risk, and finally, sometimes being a squeaky wheel can get something upgraded from .92 to MS65.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice edgeview holder. Doesnt look cleaned to me.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice edgeview holder. Doesnt look cleaned to me. >>

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... things worked out much better for you - although still not what one would expect of such a coin. I think you have decided on the proper course of action. Welcome Aboard.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm truly wondering if this coin was broken out of the mint box, messed with, and carefully sealed back up inside. Some sucker (me) then came along on "Unload-Your-Junk"Bay and scooped it up >>

You answered your own question.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those lines don't run across Miss Liberty, they are probably just die polish. But would expect a scattered hairline or two from the coin being handled.
    Looks like one hairline running from the bottom of the branch to around 4:00. There are also luster breaks on each of her lower legs. Those could account
    for a few points deduction.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file