Options

The MS66+ seated dollar picture...

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
... is finally up!

And here's the True View of the 1795 small eagle

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    first to post 'Wow' (but surely not the last)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

Those are beautiful.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Thank you for the drawing! Larsen would like to enter for the 95 and Larissa would like to enter for the 68 (hopefully Speety doesn't win!). You're the best Bruce! imageimage
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Yeeeeeoooooowwwwwzzzzaaa! Gorgeous coins!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Yes, those are definitely WOW COINS. Well done indeed.image

Those are definitely the coins I would want If I had the

green backs to cover them. But I have to leave some money

for my Vanguard Funds.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowwwweeeee....!

I like those coins....image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely coins TDN (yours I presume).

Thanks for posting pics of same so they can be seen and enjoyed by those of us on the forums.

The only thing that would make the experience of viewing these coins better (for you) would be if you had them in hand while sitting on the porch/veranda of your very own So. Cal. beach house, at sunset, while it is 75 degrees outside and while you are drinking your favorite libation.
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 617 ✭✭

<< <i>image

Those are beautiful. >>

What he said.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nowwwww what do I get to bug you about? image

That is a purdy 1868! I love the reverse - looks exactly like I should.

As for the Small Eagle dollar - it's more prooflike and impressive in person. I had to have asked Laura to see that coin about 4 seperate times as she chatted with my dad...

Both coins get the (not so) coveted and (not so) important Speety Seal of Approval ©
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Worth the wait.....

Thanks!
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bust dollar is insane! image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike on the small eagle dollar is simply incredible. Only the frost on the coin hints at a business strike.

That's a different 1868 from the original set right?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I can't stop staring at that Bust Dollar. She is absolutely gorgeous
  • Options

<< <i>
    That's a different 1868 from the original set right?
    >>

Correct - the original set's coin was blast white - one of the finest white seated liberty coins I've ever seen.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as is most often the case when you post the pictures TDN ... WOW ... just WOW!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are exquisite, but the reverse of the Seated Dollar is ridiculous!
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Truely loverly.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Nice, the 1795 does not look real. It is almost like whomever freshly minted Stewart's 1919 Lincoln created dies for the 1795 and struck them last week. Unreal, and utterly amazing the coin survived like that.
  • Options
    I like them both but that seated looks way over graded. MS65 at best. Still two very nice coins!
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else besides me just get the urge to sell their rusty washers and quit collecting? Sheesh those are sweet coinsimage
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i>.... that seated looks way over graded. MS65 at best. >>

Nope. Precisely and accurately graded at 66+
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Precisely and accurately graded at 66+

TDN - You should know better. There is no such thing as an "accurate grade", because all grading is subjective. But I'll concede that the coin looks at least 66 in the image, and that your opinion (as an expert who has, by the way, seen the coin in person) is the more credible one.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Nope. Precisely and accurately graded at 66+

TDN - You should know better. There is no such thing as an "accurate grade", because all grading is subjective. But I'll concede that the coin looks at least 66 in the image, and that your opinion (as an expert who has, by the way, seen the coin in person) is the more credible one. >>

'Precise and accurate' is when PCGS agrees with my personal grade! image

The luster is stunning, the surfaces virgin and semi prooflike.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>'Precise and accurate' is when PCGS agrees with my personal grade! image

The luster is stunning, the surfaces virgin and semi prooflike. >>

How would you know what an ultra-high grade seated dollar would look like? It's not like you've ever had any before or anything... image

I have to say, the overall look of the dupe (Malibu) 1868 you sold off a little while back still appeals to me more from the pictures, I wish we could have justified the one point upgrade...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty nice TDN... image Kidding of course they are more like incredible, sensational, fantastic and unbelievable! Been waiting and thanks for posting them...If you don`t mind which one of those is your favorite? If of course you could only have one...

ABimage
  • Options

<< <i>

Nope. Precisely and accurately graded at 66+ >>

Dont get me wrong I like them both! Very nice coins! I was just saying thats the weakest struck MS66 Ive seen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nope. Precisely and accurately graded at 66+ >>

Dont get me wrong I like them both! Very nice coins! I was just saying thats the weakest struck MS66 Ive seen >>

image That's a very good strike for a seated dollar. You should see the MS67 1866 that just sold ... now that's a weak strike!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty nice TDN... image Kidding of course they are more like incredible, sensational, fantastic and unbelievable! Been waiting and thanks for posting them...If you don`t mind which one of those is your favorite? If of course you could only have one...

ABimage >>

The bust dollar. Incredible luster for a bust dollar!
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    No wonder you were waiting for those picsimage

Love them! I'm especially fond of the '68...the small eagle just looks a bit too white for my taste.

Dennis
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I am SO happy that YOU own the coins you own. So many people that buy coins like these might just lock them in a vault and never show them (or pictures of them) around. Certainly not very many would post pictures, and then respond to, and gently correct, criticism about them, or take the opportunity to teach complete strangers some stuff.

You don't keep them locked away anonymously, and you don't just post up pictures and see 'look how rich I am.' You know your stuff inside and out, and you really share. In case you don't hear it enough, I really thank you.

Now, what was it like to first see that bust dollar? How would you describe the feeling? Was it pure giddiness? Was it a 'I obviously need to buy this, but I need to set a reasonable limit,' or a pure 'screw it, I'm going to own it no matter what because LOOK AT THIS DAMN THING!?"

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Had no idea an early dollar like that even existed. Thanks for sharing.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Mr. TDN I notice you get pretty defensive about your coins. I told you multiple times that they are nice coins. With that said a quick archives search on heritage for 1868 Seated dollars will reveal plenty of well struck seated dollars. I was not trying to beat your coins up I was just stating the obvious! Enjoy them because they are nice coins! image
  • Options

<< <i>Mr. TDN I notice you get pretty defensive about your coins. I told you multiple times that they are nice coins. With that said a quick archives search on heritage for 1868 Seated dollars will reveal plenty of well struck seated dollars. I was not trying to beat your coins up I was just stating the obvious! Enjoy them because they are nice coins! image >>

As am I stating the obvious when I say the coin is well struck for a seated dollar. I'm only trying to teach you when I correct you - there's nothing grade limiting on the strike of that coin. Even the MS67 1849 and 1866 coins have flat stars - completely flat in those cases.
  • Options
    Now, what was it like to first see that bust dollar? How would you describe the feeling? Was it pure giddiness? Was it a 'I obviously need to buy this, but I need to set a reasonable limit,' or a pure 'screw it, I'm going to own it no matter what because LOOK AT THIS DAMN THING!?"

Fortunately, Laura knew it was my #1 desire as it filled 'two holes' in my set and she had already committed by the time I saw it in hand. But it would have been more toward the latter. image

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i will humbly admit that when i first looked at the coin's pic i thought the luster was
    broken an awful lot on the high points for the grade of 66. The legs, breasts, and
    arm for example.

but when the rest of the coin is pure dynamite i imagine a grader has to judge it
    as a whole and such minor issues that I THINK i see are puny compared to the
    rest of the wonderful qualities the coin has.

so i am not saying anything about the grading because i do not know enough to
    state with any authority what it should be.. i am just giving a first reaction based
    on pics and that quickly mellows away once you stop nit picking and enjoy the coin as
    a whole. Definitely high grade, definitely eye appealing.
  • Options
    I really appreciate you teaching me Mr TDN...Ya see I am rather new to coins and get so confused very easily. Since you are in a teaching mood could you please explain to me what is inside these red circles? I knew it couldnt be wear so I figured it must be weakly struck. I guess I was sadly mistaken and I apologize a million times over

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i will humbly admit that when i first looked at the coin's pic i thought the luster was
    broken an awful lot on the high points for the grade of 66. The legs, breasts, and
    arm for example.

The high points having some scuffs is not a bar to even a MS67, 68 or even 69 grade. In every MS67 and MS68 seated half I've looked at over the years, not one
    coin was free of high point scuffs. One would have to afford a seated dollar even more leeway. These big boys aren't graded quite as harshly as say half-dimes and dimes
    which often don't show high point scuffing because of their lighter weight. Seated dollars aren't grade like Morgan and Peace dollars. PCGS could have come out with that
    standard early on but they didn't. Bust dollars aren't graded like seated or trade dollars, and seated dollars aren't graded like Morgans. The strike is perfectly acceptable
    imo for a 66 grade. In 1988 this coin was probably only a MS65. But it's also not 1988 anymore where very essentially no seated dollars were graded higher than MS65.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    What's inside those red circles is coin to coin contact - and the reason it's not a 67+. The coin has great mint frost and barely any bagmarks along with wonderful eye appeal - so the starting point in the grade scale is high. It's then net graded [as every coin is] for the negative attributes - and the high point contact is its most negative. The final grade PCGS and I agree upon ... 66+.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are all those red egg shaped circles on that dollar? I find it distracting. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Love both coins, truly amazing examples. But I like original coins so I like the seated coin better.

I would like the 1795 much much better if it hadn't been dipped, and I'm sure its been dipped a few times over the years.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...Bust dollars aren't graded like seated or trade dollars, and seated dollars aren't graded like Morgans. ..."

This is a very important comment. That coin is MUCH nicer than any Seated dollar that I recall seeing.
    Grade coins within a series (sometimes within a variety of a mint issue) on their own merits, not in
    comparison with other types of coins.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    TDN very nice additions. And as others have said I always appreciate your sharing. I'd love to see these in hand sometime to truly appreciate them. While the photos are great to look at, trying to grade something such as these coins from a photo is in many ways a bit silly. From the photo I am not sure I would have given the + on the 1868 with the obverse friction but I suspect in hand the overall coin is worthy. I also tend to be pretty conservative in grading but then its nice to have more surprises then disappointment when submissions come back.

Congratulations again.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    While the photos are great to look at, trying to grade something such as these coins from a photo is in many ways a bit silly.

Well said PonyExpress8! I cannot count all the times that a coin in hand was different from even a superb photo. I enjoy looking at photos and postulating the grade as much as anyone. However, face it, grading from a photo doesn't cut it, let alone making a call as to whether it's a + or not. I don't think either PCGS or TDN took grading this Seated lightly. Thanks much for sharing, I luv that '68 Seated.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sick coins...just sick.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Incredible coins. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

Imagine what a bin full of these fresh off the press must have looked like in 1795! Why, today you’d have to go all the way to China to see something like that.

CG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file