Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Buyer's Bill of Rights

The Buyer has a right to the following:

1: to receive the item won exactly as it was described, if not better.
2: to have the item mailed withing 2 business days of seller receiving verified payment
3: for the item to be well packed in order to avoid any possible damage in shipment
4: to return an item within 14 days if not satisfied for any reason for a full refund including the original postage
5: if an item is significantly not as described, the seller should refund the return postage also
6: to have positive eBay feedback left upon receipt of verified payment
7: to receive tracking information for the item so he can monitor its progress
8: to receive answers to email queries within a reasonable amount of time (2 business days AT MOST)

Comments

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was going to be a one line post:

1. The buyer is always right
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    If that's what a buyer wants, there's nothing stopping him from restricting his purchases to sellers who offer those terms, is there?
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Buyer has a right to the following:

2: to have the item mailed withing 2 business days of seller receiving verified payment
    3: for the item to be well packed in order to avoid any possible damage in shipment
    4: to return an item within 14 days if not satisfied for any reason for a full refund including the original postage
    5: if an item is significantly not as described, the seller should refund the return postage also
    8: to receive answers to email queries within a reasonable amount of time (2 business days AT MOST) >>

I agree, except with point 4. Auction sales are not approval sales, so any returns should be at the discretion of, and with
    the permission of, the seller. Most sellers allow a return period as a courtesy IF THE BUYER DID NOT EXAMINE THE ITEM IN PERSON,
    ,but eBay's and Paypal's policies essentially FORCE the seller to accept returns, even if in violation of the terms of sale.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>4: to return an item within 14 days if not satisfied for any reason for a full refund including the original postage >>

The buyer has the right to abide by the stated return policy. If the buyer doesn't like it, don't bid. Why should a seller eat postage fees if the buyer didn't read the description? Why should it take 2 weeks for the buyer to realize there's a problem?

<< <i>2: to have the item mailed withing 2 business days of seller receiving verified payment >>

What if the buyer pays 5 days after the seller's stated payment period ends, and the seller is not available to ship on an immediate turnaround?

What, dare I ask, is the seller's bill of rights?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What, dare I ask, is the seller's bill of rights? >>

It is a joke if you ask me..... I agree with you. I am sick and tired of bidiots and scammers!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

8: to receive answers to email queries within a reasonable amount of time (2 business days AT MOST) >>

I agree, except with point 4. Auction sales are not approval sales, so any returns should be at the discretion of, and with
    the permission of, the seller. Most sellers allow a return period as a courtesy IF THE BUYER DID NOT EXAMINE THE ITEM IN PERSON,
    ,but eBay's and Paypal's policies essentially FORCE the seller to accept returns, even if in violation of the terms of sale. >>

Holy Cow !!!!! I agree with Frank !!!image
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    A buyer has the right to the following:

1. Whatever it is the seller advertises for sale, to be delivered under the terms specified by the seller.

If that's not satisfactory, the buyer has the right to look for another seller with terms more to his liking.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

Comments from a dealer with 10,000 satisfied customers and only one guy I couldn't make happy:

1. OK.
    2. Incorrect. The auction specifies the shipping time. Usually my shipping time is 1 business day. If I'm on vacation, I may set it at 10 business days. If I'm doing a presale, I may set it at 15 days. learn to read it and if you aren't OK with it, don't bid.
    3. Somewhat ok. If the item arrives undamaged, then it was packaged ok. Don't neg the dealer with "It arrived ok but you didn't package it well." I've seen that here. If you think he could have done better then send him a non-confrontational message outside the feedback system. He probably has more experience than you and may know more about shipping than you do. However, I believe that 99% of lost items are either address or packaging issues. Note most lost items were mailed by collectors rather than dealers too.
    4. Incorrect. I have a 7 day no questions asked return policy on most items but my guarantee is really meant to address "as described" and quality of the coin. Since I sell moderns, if a guy finds a big ding on the nose of his presidential dollar, I'll swap it out. Generally I'll pay shipping both ways for a swapout. If I ship the wrong item I'll ship the right item with a prepaid return envelope for him to mail the wrong item back in. But I had a guy buy $10,000 worth of a hot item and 2 weeks later he noticed the price had decreased on ebay. He contacted me and I told him that I guarantee my items to be as described but one thing I don't guarantee my items against is the price going down. Would he complain if the price went up? He then filed a paypal claim. Because his concern was just that the price had gone down, paypal sided with me. Return policy is specified on ebay. If it says no returns and you want a 14 day return policy, then DON"T BID. Mine says 7 days, if you want 14, then DON'T BID. The buyer must follow what is written, not make up his own rules. I'm guessing you're the kind of guy who will buy an item with "NO Returns" specified with intent of using a paypal dispute if you don't like it.
    5. OK. No strong opinion here since I never sell anything not as described. If you think it's not as described, I'd say generally you are incorrect and we are going to disagree. splitting the postage on disagreements is probably fair.
    6. Yes, I agree but don't keep up. First of all, feedback means nothing for buyers (ego?). I definitely don't wait for the buyer to leave feedback first. I do feedback in mass once a week. this posting just reminded me to go leave feedback right now. done.
    7. Disagree. Control issues? One of my biggest headaches, that happens about once a month, is a buyer who sits at his computer checking every hour on the tracking info and sending me notes asking where it is. I answer each note, saying in a new and respectful way, that tracking isn't perfect and you can be assured it is on it's way. When it shows up I don't get an email thanking me for the prompt shipping and apologizing for wasting my time. These guys assume I have nothing to do but sit at my computer like he does. I use paypal shipping that automatically sends the tracking info and frankly, sometimes I wish it didn't give some buyers the tracking info. I know that when I buy something I NEVER bother to log in and look at the tracking info unless it is significantly late. Why waste energy on something totally out of your control? On the rare occasion that I use some other shipping method other than paypal, I keep the tracking info but generally don't send it.
    8. Agree. I try to answer each question in hours if not minutes. However, cell phones aren't perfect and sometimes I get home, haven't seen anything on my cell phone and don't go through my messages and find days later that I missed a message. If you don't get an answer, resend your message 2 days later. I would guess that often the seller overlooked it rather than ignored it.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

I'll amend:
    #2 to include "unless otherwise specified".
    It's a buyer's responsibility to read the terms, there's no excuse for not doing so.
    #4 perhaps 14 days is a bit excessive.
    7 days from receipt of item is probably more realistic.
    I'm flexible on the refund of the original S&H.
    I won't buy from sellers who don't meet my standards (at least not more than once).
    A buyer needs to perform due diligence BEFORE bidding.
    Check a seller's FB carefully, read the terms of sale, check his DSRs, check the FB he's left for others.
    Avoid sellers who will not accept returns.
  • Options

<< <i>5. OK. No strong opinion here since I never sell anything not as described. If you think it's not as described, I'd say generally you are incorrect and we are going to disagree. splitting the postage on disagreements is probably fair. >>

I'd say it's up to the buyer to determine if a coin is SNAD.
    Your argument to the contrary is more than a bit self-serving, since you claim infallibility and that just ain't possible! image
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Too many rules and regulations for me. Taking a simple transaction and making it as complicated as possible. Geesh, some people!!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Too many rules and regulations for me. Taking a simple transaction and making it as complicated as possible. Geesh, some people!!!!image >>

So you just like to bid on coins, take whatever the seller sends you whenever he feels like getting around to mail it?
    Some people!!!image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

4. mule muffins; examine each claim on its merits or lack thereof.

6. why would you leave feedback to a buyer just because he pays? wait until he receives the goods and intends to keep them.

• Options

<< <i>6. why would you leave feedback to a buyer just because he pays? wait until he receives the goods and intends to keep them. >>

Because if a buyer pays promptly, he's held up his end of the deal, IMO.
    YMMV
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay used to be fun ... now it seems like a lot of whine (or worse, scammers)

plus, from what I can tell, it's not like the venue helps sellers much anymore

everything is geared towards the buyer ... which, unfortunately, ferments the whine from buyers that want a rip (or at least a really good deal) everytime, want it yesterday, and want the ability to bail out of it anytime if they decide they made a mistake

and sellers get to pay upwards of 10% for this "service"

LOL ...

yeah, yeah, I know ... it's the exposure

I still look and still find things, and once in a while I still sell a few pieces on the 'bay, but it's no wonder to me that many of the small sellers that used to regularly offer nice stuff do not use the place anymore

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Too many rules and regulations for me. Taking a simple transaction and making it as complicated as possible. Geesh, some people!!!!image >>

So you just like to bid on coins, take whatever the seller sends you whenever he feels like getting around to mail it?
    Some people!!!image >>

Yeah! Been doing it for 13 Years now. image
  • Options

<< <i>eBay used to be fun ... now it seems like a lot of whine (or worse, scammers)

plus, from what I can tell, it's not like the venue helps sellers much anymore

everything is geared towards the buyer ... which, unfortunately, ferments the whine from buyers that want a rip (or at least a really good deal) everytime, want it yesterday, and want the ability to bail out of it anytime if they decide they made a mistake

and sellers get to pay upwards of 10% for this "service"

LOL ...

yeah, yeah, I know ... it's the exposure

I still look and still find things, and once in a while I still sell a few pieces on the 'bay, but it's no wonder to me that many of the small sellers that used to regularly offer nice stuff do not use the place anymore >>

Its just our way of letting some buyers know what we think of their rights , sellers retain the right to not sell jack.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>6. why would you leave feedback to a buyer just because he pays? wait until he receives the goods and intends to keep them. >>

Because if a buyer pays promptly, he's held up his end of the deal, IMO.
    YMMV >>

It isn't a done deal IMO until he gets the item and is happy with it. In fact he could file a SNAD 2 months later and probably get his $$$ back.
  • Options
    Its just our way of letting some buyers know what we think of their rights , sellers retain the right to not sell jack.

LOL JM

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>

Some people!!!image >>

Don't buy much on eBay, but I have never dealt with sellers like that. Even with Dutch auction style on say current release modern crap, there have never been any issues.
  • Options

<< <i>Me think OP hard to please, would love to block OP but won't give Ebay name. >>

You really need to get a life...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won't buy from sellers who don't meet my standards (at least not more than once).
    >>

I have bought numerous coins from sellers with crappy pictures and a no return policy. Many of these are my best deals on ebay.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>

<< <i>I won't buy from sellers who don't meet my standards (at least not more than once).
    >>

I have bought numerous coins from sellers with crappy pictures and a no return policy. Many of these are my best deals on ebay. >>

This I agree with 110% image
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HEY BOOBO, freelance genius----

LINK YOUR EBAY NAME SO EVERYONE CAN SEE HOW PROFICIENT YOU ARE.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Me think OP hard to please, would love to block OP but won't give Ebay name. >>

OP is HARDYBOYSFAN

Here is the feedback he has left sellers

TOOLHAUS
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HEY BOOBO, freelance genius----

LINK YOUR EBAY NAME SO EVERYONE CAN SEE HOW PROFICIENT YOU ARE. >>

Sounds like a reasonable enough request.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Somehow his feedback left does not at all suprise me.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    holy cra* Frank

damn, now I have to figure out how to block someone

geez!

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    thank you Frank.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

OP is HARDYBOYSFAN

TOOLHAUS >>

30 neg/neutrals, that's going to get him blocked by a lot of people here!!
  • Options

<< <i>

OP is HARDYBOYSFAN >>

Wrong again Frank, wrong again.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

OP is HARDYBOYSFAN >>

Wrong again Frank, wrong again. >>

Well Dang!

Ole HardyBoysFan's last negative was for an item which closed on Mar 17, 2011 03:14:05 EDT but hadn't been received by Mar-21-11 10:09 from a Seller in Ontario Canada who clearly stated "Seller ships within 3 days after receiving cleared payment"

The Follow Up Feed back kinda fits the OP's agenda: "Very nice coin finally rec'd. but seller must learn e-commerce goes on 24/7."

Woulda been perfect.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Jerry - I liked your reponse
  • Options
    Hey BOB, is this your M.O.?

BOB attacks different kinds of posters including newbies. But he
    appears fixated with those he considers the most prominent.
    Along with
    flaming these people obsessively for long periods of time he has tried
    to sabotage their eBay businesses by buying from them so he could
    leave negative feedback and by otherwise filling complaints with eBay
    about them.

BOB's's eBay ID is hardyboysfan. He may also have other eBay IDs.
    Under the hardyboysfan ID he has been a member of eBay since 2001 and
    has left 13 negative feedbacks and 13 neutral feedbacks to eBay
    sellers. Among his complaints is excessive postage charges which
    complains about even when the postage charges are clearly spelled out
    in the auction description. Three representative responses by sellers:
    1) "BEWARE of hardyboysfan. Block him as Bidder. I have received 6
    harrassing emails." 2) "WATCH Out SELLERS! OUTLANDISH Behavior, & all
    around RUDE customer." 3) "Refused to pay - dishonest buyer - look out
    sellers! Bogus COD scam as well!"

Have a nice day
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It's glaringly obvious that the OP is a reincarnation of some previously banned member.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BOB,
    I like the cut of your jib.

I bet you love Tim McCarver's baseball announcing skills as much as I do.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

,but eBay's and Paypal's policies essentially FORCE the seller to accept returns, even if in violation of the terms of sale. >>

I myself have a 10 day return for any or no reason. I do think that a seller should be able to state terms though. I think it should be permissible to have no or limited returns as long as the terms are disclosed. I can decide based on the terms if I wish to bid. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) do little business on fleabay for myself, problem solved
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With rights also come responsibilities.

1. Learn to read the auction conditions.
    2. Only bid on items that you intend to purchase.
    3. Know that what you think may not be the same as others and be open to their views.
    4. The first rule of the auction is Buyer Beware that is asking all questions before bidding.
    5. Give only true feedback. What they did or did not do, not what you thought they should have done.
    6. Abiding to the terms of service of the auction site not your perceived terms.

• Options

<< <i>

OP is HARDYBOYSFAN

TOOLHAUS >>

thank you Frank.
  • Options

<< <i>With rights also come responsibilities.

1. Learn to read the auction conditions.
    2. Only bid on items that you intend to purchase.
    3. Know that what you think may not be the same as others and be open to their views.
    4. The first rule of the auction is Buyer Beware that is asking all questions before bidding.
    5. Give only true feedback. What they did or did not do, not what you thought they should have done.
    6. Abiding to the terms of service of the auction site not your perceived terms.

image >>

7. Buyer has obligation to provide a safe secure shipping address/destination so that it doesn't end up under Naybor Nellie's rose bushes or worse.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing this thread didn't turn out quite like the OP expected.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I'm guessing this thread didn't turn out quite like the OP expected.image >>

image the troll got busted
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's glaringly obvious that the OP is a reincarnation of some previously banned member.

Russ, NCNE >>

99% I would think. Surprised that no one else has thought/posted that. I thought it a few days back from the trollish nature of the postings.
    Also surprising that so many members are playing the troll's game.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Someone really should go out to the mailbox and let Bobbo know the mailman won't be by today, and he might as well come inside and leave those "slow shipping" negs right now and just get it over with. image
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

You're off a cliff on that one. 5 minutes is usually long enough to decide if they like it or not. 7 Days, and they pay return shipping.
  • Options
    7: to receive tracking information for the item so he can monitor its progress 8: to receive answers to email queries within a reasonable amount of time (2 business days AT MOST) >>

I would also question these...I mean who is working for who here? The whole tracking thing IS NEW, not a "right". And an answer via email depends on the question.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>4: to return an item within 14 days if not satisfied for any reason for a full refund including the original postage. >>

Why 14 days? So you can shop it around for a quick flip?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I think returns need to be based on the sellers terms. Its of course not that way in the ebay world.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>4: to return an item within 14 days if not satisfied for any reason for a full refund including the original postage. >>

Why 14 days? So you can shop it around for a quick flip? >>

Yes. Or get it graded and if you don't like the result, send it back.

hardyboysfan, blocked.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file