Home Precious Metals
Options

If you were my buddy....POLL

My buddy is thinking about buying 15 ounces of gold with borrowed money. He would have to pay 3k in interest over the next three years.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    choices one and four amount to the same thing.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I would add one more choice.

Do it IF you're sure it wont cause any loss of sleep and/or stress.

It's basically a gamble though, so being that it's "borrowed" money, I would say don't do it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to know what the rest of his finances look like.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grand a year in interest? NO Way at all.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never gamble with other people's money unless you are too big too fail. PMs are the choice investment for those not in debt. If in debt, get out of debt first, then buy PMs. Going into debt to buy PMs is not a good idea. It's like going double or nothing.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>choices one and four amount to the same thing. >>

Yup---same thought---don't borrow money to speculate on PM's and an overwhelming majority of forumites agree with this sentimemt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    This belongs on the "signs of a bubble" thread, when know-nothings buy metals with borrrowed money, more so with high interest credit card money, but any borrowed money fits. Know-nothings are folks asking for advice. Most folks that ask for advice are in over their heads.

Even though it may only be $3k in interest and only 15 ounces of gold, which for all we know is next to nothing to the guy asking, playing a game you don't understand with borrowed money tends to be about the dumbest thing a person can do. In the worst case, it might be a lot of money, and the guy asking might be retired on a limited and fixed income. At that point it becomes beyond dumb and becomes irresponsible.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hit #4 without a second thought.

NB this is a forum with lots of people who believe that the dollar is doomed and PMs are a major safe way to preserve value. And even so, almost everyone is advising your friend against such a course.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the guy's finances were sound I'd almost be tempted to say do it, but not with the gold price only 3% from all time highs just one month away
    from what is typically the summer beat down season. Have him wait until July/August and make the same arguments then.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    No matter what happens, you will be wrong.
  • Options
    I would personally do it provided he can pay the cash back without having to make any changes to his lifestyle, my mind frame going in would be that this would be nothing more than saving money on a bank accout. If he breaks even when he decides to sell then he is probably already ahead of the game and if he makes money on top of it then that would be icing on the cake.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I'll add another thought to my original. In order for something like that to work, you gotta do volume to make it worth the while. 15 oz of Au is a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things.
    Now if it was a 200+ oz plan, that would be justified imo and I'd say do it, but not for 15 oz..
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be fools gold if he did this. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I voted no.

But just to play devil's advocate, whats the difference between borrowing money to have gold today as opposed to borrowing money to do any number of things that arent exactly necessities?

For example, lets say his friend decided to borrow $25,000 for a sports car, or $25,000 for a family dream vacation, or maybe $25,000 for a park model trailer home in a camping resort?

I think that borrowing $25,000 to buy gold would be just as "smart" / "dumb" as any of the other above reasons to borrow money.

I personally have never borrowed a single dime to fund a metals purchase EVER with the exception of paying for an online order with a CC and paying off the balance in full 3 days later. However, I DID borrow money to buy a sports car. So whats a better bet? A modern, used sports car, or the equivalent amount in gold bullion?
  • Options
    I would advise him to purchase a couple of ounces with his own money and grow from there.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I'm for it as long as he can pay the CC bill at the end of the month and incur no interest. Just remember if the price goes down you have probably lost a friend. Take care. jws
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, why not??

Let's round off numbers and say gold is at $1500.

Then 15 oz x $1500 = $22,500.

Add the 3K interest and the total is $25,500.

Divide this by 15 oz to find the 'buddies' break even point, which is 25500 divide by 15 = $1700 an ounce.

For those of you that think this is a bad idea..you're telling me that in the next three years, Gold will never reach $1700 an ounce??

Boy, I'd sure like to take that bet!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he needs other people to tell him what to do.

Are you planning on becoming his enabler?
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Divide this by 15 oz to find the 'buddies' break even point, which is 25500 divide by 15 = $1700 an ounce.

For those of you that think this is a bad idea..you're telling me that in the next three years, Gold will never reach $1700 an ounce??

do you think it's a good idea to go into debt and "hope" to break even? How about not do it and be guaranteed to break even?

I'm with those that say the potential downside outweighs the potential upside.

better to buy one ounce that he can afford than 15 that he cannot.

• Options
    I'd tend to agree that borrowing is not a good idea, however, looking at my situation, I had about 10k of PM's then borrowed money when we bought a house. Technically I've borrowed money for PM's because I could sell them tomorrow and reduce the loan by 15k.

Remember that the interest is only 3k but if the price goes down in the 3 years then it could potentially cost a lot more than 3k in losses.

But yes, grand scheme of things, lets say he makes 5k over 3 years with a risk, nothing like getting a promotion or having the price of your house go up a few %, won't make him rich (unless theres a SHTF scenario then God help us all).
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to know what the rest of his finances look like.

That was my subtle and polite way of saying that he would be a fool to buy gold with borrowed money, unless he happened to have about $300,000 or so in other liquid assets to back him up. I think that gold will top $1,700 in 3 years but I also think he could just buy gold as he can afford it and average in.

Jumping in with borrowed money and no backup is a good way to get himself into a bind. If gold dropped, what's the plan? Buying a big chunk increases market risk and doing it with borrowed money only magnifies the risk even more.

Most likely a bad idea, and better options abound.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    If he buys it now & sells first week of November 2011 might be a decent play. Other wise just another random piece of BS advice to this thread.

I always go by gut feelings, when I question them I usually shy away.

My policy NEVER gamble on someone else's $$. If you ain't got it to loose = DO NOT gamble.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Buying on margin during these times has even been verbotten from Sinclair --for years.

I still think if you have any outstanding debt, ie mortgage, and not the funds to cover it, yet buy Whatever, including PMs, that is the virtual equivalent of buying on margin.

At least I can't sleep doing that, so retiring debt has always been my favored investment. YMMV, to each his own, etc etc etc. and I know gamblilng like that does pay off when the spread from your interest rate and return on investment would be what it has been (Mortgage rate vs Gold appreciation), for what, 10 years now.

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My buddy is thinking about buying 15 ounces of gold with borrowed money. He would have to pay 3k in interest over the next three years. >>

this reminds me of CSCO years ago............NO!
  • Options
    Thanks. I passed on your overwhelming advice. He says he is debt free. No mortgage, auto, or credit card debt.
    The PM's would be the only debt he would take on, plus he has extra money left in the bank in case of emergencies.

I presented him roadrunners advice (letting gold possibly come in a bit this summer in case he decides to pull the trigger), along
    with the consistent nays also.

• Options
    He says he is debt free. No mortgage, auto, or credit card debt

is he also Asset-free, or does he have significant assets? What about expenses, cash flow, little details like that? you mention an emergency fund, but how come he can't sell a different asset or save up to get a little gold?

Lots of people dream of being a Midas, especially during/after a big run.

then, they find out that all that glitters is not gold, and gold just sitting there oscillating around $1500 might get a little boring, not to mention irritating as the interest adds up.

• Options
    He said he had 30k in cash that was available with no immediate expenditures on the horizon.
    No college, braces, home improvements, new car purchases. He said he saves 15k a year, and could pay it off
    in two years probably.
  • Options

<< <i>He said he had 30k in cash that was available with no immediate expenditures on the horizon.
    No college, braces, home improvements, new car purchases. He said he saves 15k a year, and could pay it off
    in two years probably. >>

Sounds like he should be able to make the purchase and hold the gold longer than 3 years if need be, if that is the case then I see no harm in pulling the trigger. I think gekko said it best, if he took a loan and bought a car he looses 30 percent right out the door, in this case he is taking a loan to invest on something that could potentially make him a little cash. Nothing wrong with that as long as he is able to hold on to the gold if things go south.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......if he took a loan and bought a car he looses 30 percent right out the door, in this case he is taking a loan to invest on something that could potentially make him a little cash. >>

Bad analogy. People don't buy their car as an investment---they buy it because they need it for transportation such as getting to and from their job to earn a salary.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    The only thing worse than the dollar...... is a borrowed dollar!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the last response Edmund, I would tell MY friend, in that situation, that IF he wanted to do it, and he wanted to OWN the gold for more than a trade, that he should buy 3 oz now, and then if he still had the right feeling for it, to buy another 2-3 oz a quarter for the next year and a half or so, paying cash along the way.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>......if he took a loan and bought a car he looses 30 percent right out the door, in this case he is taking a loan to invest on something that could potentially make him a little cash. >>

Bad analogy. People don't buy their car as an investment---they buy it because they need it for transportation such as getting to and from their job to earn a salary. >>

Not a sports car that is simply a 3rd vehicle. People borrow money all the time for that......might not be the smartest move, but it IS a decent analogy to buying gold bullion on credit.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    No, only buy within your means.
  • Options

<< <i>No, only buy within your means. >>

So you have NEVER financed anything your entire life huh?

Savvy, millionaire commodities traders buy on margin ALL THE TIME. Some are obscenely successful. How is this any different than buying on margin?
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    So you have NEVER financed anything your entire life huh?

Just because you finance something doesn't imply you are living outside your means. If you take out a responsible mortgage whereby the monthly payments are reasonable given your income and other financial commitments, I would consider that "within one's means". Same with a new car.

Taking out a $300K mortgage when you make $40K a year, that's another story.

Commodities traders also have access to many things that us regular Joes do not. Information being one of them.

He said he had 30k in cash that was available with no immediate expenditures on the horizon.

So why not use that available cash and avoid the interest? He'd still have $7K after buying 15 oz, and if things went south and he needed more, sell a few oz.
  • Options

<< <i>So you have NEVER financed anything your entire life huh?

Just because you finance something doesn't imply you are living outside your means. If you take out a responsible mortgage whereby the monthly payments are reasonable given your income and other financial commitments, I would consider that "within one's means". Same with a new car.

Taking out a $300K mortgage when you make $40K a year, that's another story.

Commodities traders also have access to many things that us regular Joes do not. Information being one of them.

So why not use that available cash and avoid the interest? He'd still have $7K after buying 15 oz, and if things went south and he needed more, sell a few oz. >>

Thats what I would do.....use the cash already saved to buy.
  • Options
    what I would do is buy all my gold in 1998-2002 image

• Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    is investing while acruing intrest really saving?

<< <i> He said he saves 15k a year. >>

saving at this rate, he could purchase almost 10oz a year.
    he would have the 15oz in ~18mos (beacuse gold wont inc/dec while he is saving LOL), intrest free.
    even if it rose the $200/oz needed to break even during this time, he would still be ahead $$ in less time
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call such a decision "dumb". There are a lot of people out there who owe $$ on cc and homes who have 50k in physical gold, so essentially they have borrowed the $$ to buy it with, since there are indebted elsewhere!-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to beleive he is debt free , but has to borrow money to buy gold
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    BTW, if you are buying PM's, esp. if you are 45 or older,and dont HAVE GOOD MEDICAL INSURANCE, this is just as crazy, if not more so, as borrowing money to purchase them. Way more of a gamble. Someone suggested this a couple of years ago on these forums, dont remember who, but I am deeply grateful because I acted on this advice and I would be in a world of hurt if I didntimage------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    A fellow I worked with borrowed against his home during the dot com silliness, I haven't seen him in a while but I know he must have been years getting back to "even."
    I would never borrow money to invest in a non performing asset.
  • Options
    The one bonus of being in debt is that hyperinflation is on your side. If you are 3k in debt after a year but we see, 100% inflation that year you are only in 1.5K of debt. You get to pay your debts in inflated currency. It is exactly what the government is doing
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I voted no.

But just to play devil's advocate, whats the difference between borrowing money to have gold today as opposed to borrowing money to do any number of things that arent exactly necessities?

For example, lets say his friend decided to borrow $25,000 for a sports car, or $25,000 for a family dream vacation, or maybe $25,000 for a park model trailer home in a camping resort?

I think that borrowing $25,000 to buy gold would be just as "smart" / "dumb" as any of the other above reasons to borrow money.

>>

The difference is the obvious in instances where he must borro $. He doesn't really need to buy the gold, but perhaps he does need to borrow $ to fix a roof, or buy a new car.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>The one bonus of being in debt is that hyperinflation is on your side. If you are 3k in debt after a year but we see, 100% inflation that year you are only in 1.5K of debt. You get to pay your debts in inflated currency. It is exactly what the government is doing >>

As long as your salary also doubles.