Home Precious Metals
Options

Alchemist

Alchemy is an ancient tradition, the primary objective of which is the creation of the Philosopher's Stone, capable of turning base metals into gold or silver, and acting as a universal metal. Both the transmutation of commmon metals into gold and the universal panacea symbolized evolution from an imperfect, diseased, corruptible, and ephemeral state towards a perfect, healthy incorruptible, and everlasting state and the philosopher's stone then represented a mystic key that would make this evolution possible.

I quess we are all Alchemist, but I'm not sure we've got the Philosopher's Stone, or mystic key

Comments

• Options
    First time I ever heard of Alchemy was on Pawn Stars when this guy brought in this book that Isaac Newton had, where Newton
    was interested in alchemy.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy is an ancient tradition, the primary objective of which is the creation of the Philosopher's Stone, capable of turning base metals into gold or silver, and acting as a universal metal.

I did not know this, even though we learned about alchemy at different points along the way. Reminds me of Reardon Metal in Atlas Shrugged.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy was the father of modern chemistry. Alchemists trying to change lead into gold made many scientific discoveries.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    And alchemy has now advanced to fully encompass or rather achieve the ancient goals of turning worthless materials into gold and silver - just look at our modern day fiat money and fractional reserve banking systems, not to mention ETFs!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

My license plates for the last 20 years:
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weiss---It took me awhile to figure out that license plate.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    They also were looking for a universal solvent.....sort of stupid really. If they found a liquid that dissolved everything, how would they store it?
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned how to change paper into gold, does that count?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weiss... great license plate. As far as alchemy (and PerryHall is correct - it spawned modern chemistry), we now know that elemental conversion is not possible - however, that does not prevent either those who do not accept that fact from trying, or those who would con others for personal gain from 'selling' their amazing inventions. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    A little alchemy going on in Vietnam fake gold
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we now know that elemental conversion is not possible

wrong.

google "fission" and "fusion"

see also, "star interior" and "supernova"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, where did I put that particle accelerator? I left it around here somewhere!!!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    You can make gold from other elements, but it takes a nuclear change (not a chemical change). The gold made was not anywhere near cost efficient and it was slightly radioactive (contained traces of gold with too few or too many neutrons). You can separate the stable gold from the isotopes, but that involve additional costs.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, where did I put that particle accelerator? I left it around here somewhere!!!image >>

look behind the flux magnatron.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, where did I put that particle accelerator? I left it around here somewhere!!!image >>

I found it....on the Franco-Swiss border. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."