Home U.S. Coin Forum

RIP Harmon Killebrew. Our prayers go out to his family. A special message to his family members rig

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
Harmon has family members who are numismatists and at least one or more of them are PCGS posters here.

I wanted to protect their privacy but at least post a "get well" thread here!

RIP, Killer. He passed away today May 17, 2011.

This MLB logo sure looks like Harmon Killebrew! This logo was created in 1968!
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry he is losing his battle. A great man and a childhood hero of mine......
  • Yes, the family is in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I read that this morning on the wire. Life is precious but we all must pass. Hard to
    believe. My prayers for Harmon, Nita and family and friends.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite sluggers back when I was a kid. Having Harmon Killebrew's TOPPs card in my pocket was always something special.
    My prayers are with him and his family.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    It is a difficult time image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely respond to OT threads but will in this case.

Killebrew was always one of my favorite players even though he had a penchant for
    beating my favorite team. I saw him play a few times. Once on TV I even saw him
    thrown out at first on a hard hit grounder to right field. This was late in his career
    and testament to how hard he could hit the ball and how long he played even after
    he got pretty slow.

I can only wish him the best.
    Tempus fugit.
  • DaveEDaveE Posts: 367
    May he recover soon. He definately was one of the greats.

It is a little known fact two coins dealers own his 500th and several other milestone home run balls.
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    He was with the Senators when I first saw him in Fenway, Williams was still playing so it was around '59 or '60. One of the great ones, he sure could hammer the ball. If there are family members here my heart goes out to them, they don't make 'em like that any more.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started to follow baseball circa 1959, the Washington Senators, a last place team, fascinated me. How could a team that had three big sluggers, Jim Lemon, Rookie of the Year, Bob Allison, and homerun king, Harmon Killebrew finish last?

I’m very sorry to hear the Mr. Killebrew is so ill. I send my condolences to his family.

And oh yes, my mother didn’t throw out my baseball cards although I should have sold them years ago …

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>May he recover soon. He definately was one of the greats. >>

He has thrown in the towel, as the cancer has progressed to the point where his doctor feels he's past the point of being able to be cured. He gave his final statement here. It's sad....but he's being a realist, and obviously knows he'll be used as a human guinea pig if he undergoes any further treatment, not to mention having his family having to see/endure what must be a painful process, knowing there really is nothing more that can be done, besides simply extending what must be the worst of the worst . I highly respect the man (he was before my time) for facing 'the end', looking it square in the eyes, and telling it to 'come get me'. He truly is the definition of the word 'brave'.
    I'll come up with something.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the sport's greatest gentlemen.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .......the guy was like Bigfoot at the plate - with a tree trunk for a bat ..............
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Growing up in Missouri a trip to the KC Athletics baseball game was a real treat for a poor family. We went to a double header with the Twins in about 1962 and the Twins won both games. I remember one game score was 18-2 and Killbrew had at least a couple of homers.

--Jerry
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the news - thanks for posting it.

He was one of my childhood hero's since I lived in the Mpls area from 1962-72 and LOVED baseball.

Truly one of the greats of the game and a real gentleman.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear the news . image

Prayers for him and his Family
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Killebrew has always been one of three guys that I wish I could go back in time to see play. I'd have loved to have seen Mays, Mantle, and Killebrew smack a long one.
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about Baseball but my thoughts and condolences to his family members here, whoever they may be.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • StewStew Posts: 1,002
    God Bless him and his family
    Our prayers are with them
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Harmon Killbrew was one of my favorite players growing up. He was one of the star players that was on "Home Run Derby" numerous times. My prayers go out to him and his family.
  • stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    I wish you the best my man.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes for Harmon and his family.
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had the pleasure and honor of meeting Harmon on several occasions at Twinsfest. The man is indescribably polite and just a true gentleman. Hang in there Killer!!
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the American League, I'm a Twins fan and saw Harmon hit his 499th homer again the Red Sox at the ball park in Bloomington (where the Mall of America sits today - there's a seat high on a wall and a home plate in the correct location showing how far Harmon hit one of his long pokes. I also saw him play at the old White Sox Park. He hit a pop up there that had everyone talking - the announcer said it was the highest he'd ever seen.

So, O. K. he was a great ball player, but he is also the best kind of person and a credit to not only Baseball, but to the human race! I pray things go the way Harmon would like them to.....and God's peace to him and his family.
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I hope it is not prostate cancer that got him to hospice. My father went through that, cancer to the bone, hospice, I would not wish that on Osama Bin Laden when he was alive. My prayers go out to the family and hope you can get a moment of clarity before he passes.
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

My prayers to him and his family.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    If a doctor ever told me my cancer was incurable and said to go home and die, I would see another doctor. There is always hope and miracles do happen with this horrid disease. ----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I deeply admire him for facing what is coming with dignity and for seizing control over the last chapter of his life.

I see too many people who cannot face the inevitable so their doctors give them false hope with a one in a million chance to stay alive a few more weeks if they submit to poisons that make them miserably sick for months.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Prayers go out to his family and friends, what a classy guy! He has a beautiful autograph as well.
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    It was pretty difficult to hear the news on the radio yesterday morning. Growing up in Minnesota, but too young to have ever seen him play, everyone just knew that Harmon Killebrew was a great baseball player and an even better man.

Thoughts and prayers to Harmon and his family and friends...
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to the Man, his family, and friends. Thank you for the memories.
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to the Killebrews....what a class act.
  • RIP Kille. You were and will always be a great man. God Bless.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rip
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rest in peace Harmon.

Please visit the Harmon Killebrew Foundation

From the press release

<< <i>No individual has ever meant more to the Minnesota Twins organization and millions of fans across Twins Territory than Harmon Killebrew. Harmon will long be remembered as one of the most prolific home run hitters in the history of the game and the leader of a group of players who helped lay the foundation for the long-term success of the Twins franchise and Major League Baseball in the Upper Midwest. However, more importantly Harmon’s legacy will be the class, dignity and humility he demonstrated each and every day as a Hall of Fame-quality husband, father, friend, teammate and man. The Twins extend heartfelt sympathies and prayers to the Killebrew family at this difficult time. >>

- Dave St. Peter, President, Minnesota Twins Baseball Club

<< <i>Harmon Killebrew personified Hall of Fame excellence in every aspect of his dynamic life. He will forever be remembered for his 573 career home runs and as the 1969 American League Most Valuable Player, and as one of the greatest hitters of his era. Since joining the Hall of Fame family in 1984, Harmon was a beacon of light among his fellow Hall of Famers, always smiling, always enjoying every moment that life delivered at his doorstep. We have so many fond memories of this wonderful baseball hero, and we will miss him enormously. >>

- Jane Forbes Clark, Chairman, National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

<< <i>Harmon was a Hall of Famer on and off the field. He was baseball's version of Paul Bunyan, with his prodigious home run power, leading by example in the clubhouse and on the field. Off the field, he emanated class, dignity, and warmth, and he was a great humanitarian. He was so down-to-earth, you would never realize he was a baseball legend. It’s ironic that his nickname was ‘Killer,’ as he was one of the nicest, most generous individuals to ever walk the earth. >>

- Jeff Idelson, Hall of Fame President
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chewing tobacco killed my dad at the age of 66, cancer of the pancreas. A cow has 4 stomachs to digest grass, man does not. I tell that to anyone I see chewing tobacco. RIP Mr Killebrew.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    RIP and condolences to his family. What a class act.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace to Harmon:
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I first started to follow baseball circa 1959, the Washington Senators, a last place team, fascinated me. How could a team that had three big sluggers, Jim Lemon, Rookie of the Year, Bob Allison, and homerun king, Harmon Killebrew finish last? >>

Don't forget Roy Sievers from that team!

I was a rabid Senators fan as a kid, and Hammerin' Harmon was my hero.

The father of a friend of mine was a sportswriter for the Washington Post. He got us in the locker room after a game one time to meet Cookie Lavagetto, the Senators' manager. He gave each of us a baseball autographed by himself, Sievers, Lemon, Allison and...Harmon Killebrew! It's right here on my bookshelf as we speak.

Broke my heart when they upped and moved to Minnesota.

I haven't been as sad since then as I am today, hearing of Harmon Killebrew's demise.

A great player. He gave us great memories. RIP
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eternal peace and rest, Mr. Killebrew
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great player and a class act- he will be missed

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I can well remember Harmon Killebrew when the Senators, later the Twins would visit Yankee Stadium.
    He could hit some prodigious home runs.
    He was a credit to the game, a true gentleman and will be missed.
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    R.I.P.image
    figglehorn
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Baseball and baseball cards are my youth... RIP Mr. Killebrew! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP and condolences to his family and friends.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A giant.
    May he rest in peace.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    May he rest in peace.
    May he be with God

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Rest In Peace. Some of my earliest memories are of listening to the Twins broadcasts in the early 60's on my 9 volt radio hidden under my pillow at night. He always was my hero.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr Killebrew was a class act in addition to being a prolific slugger. After he hit the balls they never came back the same...... if they could be found at all.

RIP...............a sad day indeed

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file