Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 8, 2011: OLD GOLD!!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first gold in over a year, and this kind of gold was tops on my want list! I had wanted a gold ring where the karat marking is raised, which generally indicates it's an older ring - in other words, I wanted old gold!

An friend told me about an old cellar hole near his house and that I should check it out. I went over today and he showed it to me. But between the bugs, trees, ticks, sticker bushes and large iron, I was done after 15 minutes. Did manage a wheat cent somehow.

He told me I could detect the house across the street, which I have done in the past. Figured it was worth another shot even though I barely found a clad dime previously. After 5 minutes I got a pull tab signal. Not thinking anything out of the ordinary, I dug a plug. It wasn't in there, so I took a couple more shovel fulls and something gold pops out of the hole. What the heck??? It can't be. It was! Talk about an adrenaline rush. Despite the desire to clean it then and there, I left the dirt inside. The end result - 3.7 grams of old 14k gold! My guess is it dates sometime around 1890-1920.

HH all!

(probaby overkill on the pics, but I'm excited!!!!!)

Comments