Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My neighbors silver coins

My neighbor is a senior nice retired fellow keeps to himself
lives alone with his dog. His kids live out of town and he was widowed a few years ago. He comes knocking on my door today
and says he knows I collect and was wondering if I would be intrested in some silver coinage. He told me he used to work at a local bowling ally back in the 1960's and would always empty the vending machines and for years he bought all the silver change.
He said he needed to repair his car in the worst way so he was trying to raise some money. I looked at his coinage and it was all junk silver so I told him it was not my cup of tea.
When I told him that he was crushed I could tell so I volunteered
to take him to the local B&M. He had three boxes of U.S silver coinage and we grabed one and off we went.
It was everything I could do to carry that box and my nieghbor had no clue as to the value. They put the coins in the counting machine
and it rang up at just a little under $24,000!!
We leave and when we get in the car he breaks down
he was so happy he couldn't help it he had no idea.
He tells me he had only $36 dollars and change in his bank account
and was at the end of his road when he knocked on my door.
He gave me two walkers for the help I knew better than to say no.

Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Way to be a friend.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Great story. Someday when you meet St. Peter you'll get a whole lot more than a +1.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was that $24,000 face value? 35 times face would have been $840Kimage

Looks like he is sitting on 2 pretty nice checks with the other 2 boxes.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Nicely done! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Teva i salute you! You sir are as they say.... A Scholar and a Gentleman! image Now pls. offer the old timer a hand in bringing the second and third box over While silver is at its all time high. image

Pls. make sure that the B&M gives him the correct value of his silver coins.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    You da man, Teva!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Coiny
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story nice job/ Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing a 'good news' story.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Yeah!!!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow! Great job for helping the guy out
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    We need more "feel good" stories like this!

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    imageimage
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have done a mega-good deed for your neighbor. Way to go! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Done!!
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24K and he gives you two Walkers? The old man must have graduated from the Sam Walton school of tipping. LOL

Just kidding - Very nicely done on your part. image
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    They must have been pretty big boxes! Tomorrow I am heading to a dealer frien of mine with about 6K in silver to sell.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Just remind him the tax man is going to want 28 percent of that next year on his taxes. He'll be in the same state next year if he spends it all. He should have only sold a portion IMO, silver is a good way to preserve purchasing power and now he's in dollars that are going to take a hit the next few years until it bottoms.

Nice job, you should have purchase some and waited a year and you could have upgraded your collection with the proceeds. Nice job of helping a neighbor.image
  • Options
    kahokiakahokia Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Best story I've read in quite a while! I had a similar story recently, but on a much smaller scale. A friend's widowed aunt was trying to sell her husband's "collection" to pay burial expenses but had been offered a high of $300 by one acquaintance. I took it to a shop in Winston-Salem for her and received a fair price of $2,400. Forgive me for piggybacking on your wonderful story, but it made me remember how basic fairness can make such a difference in people's lives. People don't have any idea what they have, do they?
    We are digging the pit of Babel.
    --Franz Kafka
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of coin! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just remind him the tax man is going to want 28 percent of that next year on his taxes. He'll be in the same state next year if he spends it all. He should have only sold a portion IMO, silver is a good way to preserve purchasing power and now he's in dollars that are going to take a hit the next few years until it bottoms.

Nice job, you should have purchase some and waited a year and you could have upgraded your collection with the proceeds. Nice job of helping a neighbor.image >>

He has two boxes left. I hope he at least learned to sell them right when the time comes.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    A happy ending for an old dude. image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Karma!image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Between the three boxes, he had approximately $2,000 in face? There wasn't anything of numismatic value at all in the three boxes? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

That is awesome.

I think I might have dug around for a while in those coins! If he had walkers to give, there had to be something there.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great story and it warms my heart. Thank you for being a good guy and doing the right thing to help this guy out.....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Great story!

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Awesome story! I still have a smile on my face from reading.

Way to go and thanks for sharing! image
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Thanks for the complements but I am not deserving.
    All I did was take a hour of my time and help a senior neighbor.
    I really feel like I was the winner my neighbor went from distress
    to total elation in a hours time and I got to share that with him.
    Plus I made a friend in the process so you can see why I feel like the winner. I am sure most of you would of done the same if you where in my shoes.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good deed done! Now be a better neighbor and friend, and tactfully suggest that he put at least 60% of the proceeds in to a tax sheltered vehicle, unless he wants to have a BIG surprise from Uncle Sam next year.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageGood to give when it cost you nothing but time, Like you said 1hr and it chang his life some time all some one needs to do is ask. That was very nice of you to go with him. Maybe you will go with him next time he has two more box's. I can just see the next time he go's in some one will tell him the price went down and will take him for a ride. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the complements but I am not deserving.
    All I did was take a hour of my time and help a senior neighbor. >>

You are deserving of the compliments. Not everyone would have taken the time. And some would have ripped him off.

Your story made my day. Thanks!
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U dun good...
    Apparently he has 2 more boxes full of silver coins...Have him put you in his willimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it 24,000 grand in 90 percent silver? What times face were they paying?
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>Your story made my day. Thanks! >>

Mine too!
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding! This is deserving of the:

Of the Month!
  • Options
    That's a wonderful story. I'm glad someone really deserving is benefiting from the recent dramatic rise in silver. If he had sold last year, he would have only gotten half as much. This way, he should have enough to keep him afloat for a good while. Or, if he gets any sort of monthly income, be it Social Security or retirement, then he'll have enough to get a new car.

And, you did more than just be there; you pointed him in the right direction. If he had gone to a "cash for gold" service rather than a coin dealer, he might have gotten thousands of dollars less. You helped him realize the true worth of what he had, and he is someone who needed every cent of it.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is sooo cool!
    you earned your wingsimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was it 24,000 grand in 90 percent silver? What times face were they paying? >>

This please. We didn't hear if it was face or what he left with.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    someone in my church last week went to one of those stores to sell gold to and mentioned that he had 5 morgans. The store offered him $60 for 5 morgans and kept pressuring him that they were only worth 14 each. He didn't sell to them and called me that night. I helped him get 32 each locally to a collector that I knew. Melt when I helped sell was 34 or so.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God Bless You, great story for Sunday. You never know what lasting impact you will have, for better or worse, on someone else's life.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Was it 24,000 grand in 90 percent silver? What times face were they paying? >>

This please. We didn't hear if it was face or what he left with. >>

I think we can do the math here. 24,000 dollars worth of FV would contain (24,000 x 0.72338/$1 FV) = 17361 oz or (at 12 oz/troy pound) nearly 1447 pounds of silver, and that's without the alloy. No way anyone carried that box to the car. So it must've been the silver melt value, unless I miss my guess.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Great stuff-thanks.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Teva,
    This was a great story to read. That was such a nice thing of you to do. Good job.

Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done!

Were the walkers the folding kind?
  • Options
    24k divided by 35 = 686 ounces right?
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Were the walkers the folding kind? >>

LOL! You should have held out for a Rascal™ scooter!

Seriously, though, kudos for helping out your neighbor.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830

<< <i>

<< <i>

This please. We didn't hear if it was face or what he left with. >>

I think we can do the math here. 24,000 dollars worth of FV would contain (24,000 x 0.72338/$1 FV) = 17361 oz or (at 12 oz/troy pound) nearly 1447 pounds of silver, and that's without the alloy. No way anyone carried that box to the car. So it must've been the silver melt value, unless I miss my guess. >>

The box was about 50lbs give or take?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file