Home Precious Metals

Selling into the silver bull

If $50 is your sell signal, and you unload all of your bullion and/or sterling (non-coin silver), how would you prioritize which coins to sell next?
1.Foreign silver?
2.high mintage modern commems?
3. ASEs?
4. 64 halfs, quarters and dimes?
5. morgans?,
6. Franklins?
7. WLH?
8. Others?

Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread belongs in the Precious Metals Forum.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• I sell off all the low end stuff first. Any culls, damaged, harshly cleaned pieces go. Then in this order:

1. Foreign silver unless it carries a premium (i.e. Maple Leafs)
    2. Others (i.e. generic stuff)
    3. High mintage modern commems (no heartbreaker here)
    4. Franklins (again, keep the good ones)
    5. WLH (keep all the decent ones)
    6. 64 halfs quarters and dimes (usually AU or BU, so keep - but I'm not a fan of dime rolls)
    7. Morgans (keep all the decent ones)
    8. ASEs (sell at $80 each image)
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I would sell in the following order

1. Foreign silver
    2. Modern commens
    3. ASEs
    4. Morgans
    5. 64 halves, quarters and dimes
    6. Franklins
    7. wlhs
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • I sold one roll of ASE's for each set of 5oz. ATB's I bought...20 ounces of silver to pay for 25 oz.

Sounded like a plan to me...(actually the most recent rolls sold for more than the ATB's cost)
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    1. Foreign silver
    2. .999 bars
    3. high mintage modern commems/6. Franklins/64 halfs, quarters and dimes
    4. ASEs/morgans/WLH

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

• << <i>This thread belongs in the Precious Metals Forum. >>

I disagree, he's asking the coin guys which coins to sell first.

I would start with other - 40%. Otherwise your list looks good to me.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would sell in the following order

1. Foreign silver
    2. Modern commens
    3. ASEs
    4. Morgans
    5. 64 halves, quarters and dimes
    6. Franklins
    7. wlhs >>

Get rid #1 & 2 keep the rest. ASE's & Morgans would be last I sold.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread belongs in the Precious Metals Forum. >>

I disagree, he's asking the coin guys which coins to sell first.

I would start with other - 40%. Otherwise your list looks good to me. >>

It's obvious the Mods agreed that this thread should be in the PM forum, where it is nowimage

I would sell the 40% silver first ... foreign silver? A lot carry a much higher premium over melt than the ASE's ... do some research first.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I also plan to sell my 40% silver halves first along with the misc Canadian silver circulating coins.
    Next would probably be bigger bar or work out trades for smaller units. 100oz bars made sense to me at $8/oz. Now when I realize what they are worth I'd rather have smaller units
  • I would keep it all unless I had some something that I needed to spend the paper money on.

The world is to unstable now.

Imagine what would happen if food prices went up like silver has.
  • MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭

<< <i>I would keep it all unless I had some something that I needed to spend the paper money on. >>

It's a great idea to have an order of priority for selling various forms of silver, but I think anyone who judges $50 to be the intermediate-term top of silver's climb will be kicking himself or herself well before 2011 ends.

I thought about selling several rolls of war nickels (that I pulled from change as a kid) when silver was in the $25 range, and I'm delighted that I didn't. I bought 40% silver halves for 8x face earlier this year, and I'm thrilled that I did. I'll be surprised if this run doesn't take silver up to $70 or higher.

JMHO, of course.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>If $50 is your sell signal, and you unload all of your bullion --- how would you prioritize which coins to sell next?
    >>

ive already sold(@ ~$30) the misc / junk / duplicates in 90%

my next point is @ $55. [next week??? image ]
    1oz bars
    raw ASE

im hanging onto the graded stuff, mint & book sets...
    until(when) it goes >$100, ill sell the remaining silver
    then hope it drops after, so i can buy it back.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    GSA, wlhs are my favorite so they would be the last to sell imageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Rule - Nobody sells silver till it crosses $50, I want to win my bet.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

I would not sell the dimes.

Foreign silver - and gold - troubles me a bit. I like Canadian
    gold/silver, but coins from the other nations don't appeal. I
    would sell.

I would keep nice WLHs and sell 64 Hs and Qs.

At this moment, unless the cash can be immediately spent
    or put to work, selling ALL does not seem like the best course.

Taking profits is good; standing totally on the sidelines is prolly
    not so good.

Newbies are still buying and their numbers are still growing. I
    would want a larger group of bagholders before I bailed.

Silver is more likely to hit $100 than it is to hit ZERO. The risk
    of holding a little longer is not terrible, unless you bought in
    very recently.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be testing the waters tomorrow at a local show. Selling some 10oz bars and 40% and converting to gold quarter oz's. I know silver will be much higher so I'm not selling much.
  • This $50 mentality/benchmark scares the heck out of me. There will be a tsunami of sellers the second this level is reached and the inevitable wind will be taken out of the run by the sheer volume of metal that may/or may not be so readily absorbed. Smart sellers have been selling a little here and a little there since in broke $35. There is nothing wrong taking some profits in an ascending market, waiting to sell at whatever will be a perceived top is suicide. "That's my target and I'm sticking to it" Brilliant thinking only to be followed by the inevitable "Gee, I wish I'd sold back when it was XXX" Human nature I guess. Look, if you're a WTSHTF type, then your core position shouldn't change, it's either an insurance policy best forgotten whether it's $2 or $2000 an ounce, or it's a trading commodity. Make your choice. However, there is no sin in taking a profit.

My 0.02, and if you hang on and it goes to 50-55-60, more power to you.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This $50 mentality/benchmark scares the heck out of me. There will be a tsunami of sellers the second this level is reached and the inevitable wind will be taken out of the run by the sheer volume of metal that may/or may not be so readily absorbed. Smart sellers have been selling a little here and a little there since in broke $35. There is nothing wrong taking some profits in an ascending market, waiting to sell at whatever will be a perceived top is suicide. "That's my target and I'm sticking to it" Brilliant thinking only to be followed by the inevitable "Gee, I wish I'd sold back when it was XXX" Human nature I guess. Look, if you're a WTSHTF type, then your core position shouldn't change, it's either an insurance policy best forgotten whether it's $2 or $2000 an ounce, or it's a trading commodity. Make your choice. However, there is no sin in taking a profit.

My 0.02, and if you hang on and it goes to 50-55-60, more power to you. >>

I doubt the selling is going to be that extreme.

Of course some people will consider selling just because it's an old high but for
    most it's just a mental exercise. Real resistance is created by people trying to
    get even and I've never seen much resistance at just a psychological number.

I did predict we'd run into some selling here months ago and it might be why we
    dropped so sharply the other day when it neared $50, but this isn't going to de-
    lay this freight train for long because there are still more buyers than sellers.
    There still aren't any sellers higher than $50 except those who fear a slide. All
    markets climb walls of fear and greed and this one won't be much affected at
    any level in all probability except things like even numbers where people have
    committed to sell.
    Tempus fugit.
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>New Rule - Nobody sells silver till it crosses $50, I want to win my bet. >>

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Look at the online sellers, APMEX, Amark etc., people are paying way over 50.00 for ounces, and many are sold out. Maybe 50.00 will affect the paper traders psychologically, but the physical buyers are already past it!---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    OTOH, people who are waiting for 70.00 to sell will probably not sell 'till it hits 100.00, then it wontimage---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I would sell in whatever order led to selling the most universally accepted value stuff last. Meaning the stuff that people are the most likely to bicker over what it is ACTUALLY worth at sell time goes first.

Sterling and such
    foreign circulated silver
    Low end 'cull' dollars
    Modern Commems
    90% (excluding WLH)
    No name 1 oz bars and rounds
    Nicer (but still basically bullion) silver dollars
    10 and 100 oz bars of known refiners (JM, Engelhard, Academy, RCM)
    ASEs

Stuff like Libertads, Canadian Maples and stuff would be roughly between ASE and known bullion bars

My reasoning would be that if you ever had to sell quick because you needed cash, you wouldn't want to be left with a stash of stuff you'd have to haggle with a buyer over. You'd want the most liquid, most transparently priced material.
  • I would sell in whatever order led to selling the most universally accepted value stuff last.

Good plan. "Worst is first"
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maples and Libertads are right up there with ASE's. The design of the Libertad is probably the best of the 3 imo. Doesn't hurt that both coins are from
    bordering nations. Personally, I'd place all 3 higher up on the list than 90% and 1 ounce rounds/bars. Sovereign issued coins that don't need to go to the smelter unlike
    90% silver. I like the fact that the Maples are purer and with the lowest overall mintage. The Libertads are the same fineness as the ASE but much lower mintage. When
    you get to Kooks, Pandas, etc. the mintages go even lower. Carlos Slim could buy up all the Libertads ever minted and it would still be "spending money" to him.

150 MILLION ASE's minted at .999 fine at 31.1 gms.
    23 MILLION Libertads minted at .999 fine at 31.6 gms. (I could not verify that weight on any site other than silver bullion world. Could be an error).
    17 MILLION Maples minted at .9999 fine at 31.1 gms.

My local dealer probably doesn't understand Libertads or Kooks but I know APMEX and other large players do and pay accordingly.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold