Home Precious Metals
Options

Most volatile PM day I have seen in my lifetime!

Although I was 5 yrs old in 1980, I didnt even know what precious metals were.

Today (from last night around midnight) is by far the most volatile day of trading in silver that I have ever witnessed! There has been a $4 swing in the past 12 hours. The chart looks like an amusement park ride. These are interesting times....I hope everyone is taking notes!

Comments

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I was 5 yrs old in 1980, I didnt even know what precious metals were.

Today (from last night around midnight) is by far the most volatile day of trading in silver that I have ever witnessed! There has been a $4 swing in the past 12 hours. The chart looks like an amusement park ride. These are interesting times....I hope everyone is taking notes! >>

Welcome to The Big Times!!!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

You ain't seen nothin yet.image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    going down, back up the truck!

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I was 5 yrs old in 1980, I didnt even know what precious metals were.

Today (from last night around midnight) is by far the most volatile day of trading in silver that I have ever witnessed! There has been a $4 swing in the past 12 hours. The chart looks like an amusement park ride. These are interesting times....I hope everyone is taking notes! >>

Not really. If you hadn't looked at the silver price since Friday afternoon, until just now at 2 PM EST, you'd say, wow....silver is still going up. Volatility is in the eye of the beholder.
    From a % standpoint I think it had bigger daily swings in 2006 and 2008.

Spikey top this morning to $49.82. Will now trace out an ABC correction. These past retraces have often returned to retest the neckline of cup formations. So, I'm first looking at $44.75 where a rising neckline fits multiple points. But the flatish neckline formed around $42-$43 would be about worst case.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

ZSL

Day's Range: 13.79 - 15.42

Volume: 27,228,429

Avg Vol (3m): 2,836,390

SLV

Day's Range: 44.53 - 47.00

Volume: 148,642,864

Avg Vol (3m): 34,249,600

GLD

Day's Range: 146.42 - 147.58

Volume: 12,445,776

Avg Vol (3m): 14,060,800

Gold is still trading on REAL and partially MEASURABLE fundamentals.

Silver is trading on a peasantine mania, bolstered ONLY by SHORT-covering.
    That mania appears to be FAR from its natural end; wise traders will be ready
    to act BEFORE that end comes.

Above $55, smart silver buyers will invoke "negative premiums" on their purchases.

Silver loves to take the escalator up, but often takes the elevator down.

It may be fun to think of silver as "the poor man's gold," but silver is NOT gold.
    (...but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that which he hath...)

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    Just a couple months ago, we had a day when silver went up 5%, then down 5%. That day was more volitale than today.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will now trace out an ABC correction. These past retraces have often returned to retest the neckline of cup formations. So, I'm first looking at $44.75 where a rising neckline fits multiple points. But the flatish neckline formed around $42-$43 would be about worst case. >>

Huh?????

Anyway, been there done that, I was way older than 5 in 1980. I did not lose any money back then, but also did not make the maximum profit potential as I sold out most of my meager stack before it reached the peak, I think around $29-30 was where I got out. I kept a little then rode it back down to around 29-30 again before getting out completely. But you guys that have held on this long have done better than me, I was all out of silver 2 weeks ago, so congrats on the ride.
  • Options
    one of cnbc's shills on fast money mentioned CME raised margin req again today?

cant find any info on google? try CME website?
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Didn't have the Internet or lightning fast communications during the '79 - '80 bubble. We J6Ps got the price from the newspaper or from the local TV news commodities report along with top hogs, and feeder cattle prices, each evening . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We J6Ps got the price from the newspaper or from the local TV news commodities report along with top hogs, and feeder cattle prices, each evening . . . HH >>

/////////////////////////////

We had a subscription phone line that gave us the current
    numbers, in 1976.

By 1979, there were free phone lines that gave you the
    price AND a recorded commercial from the AU/AG peddlers.

Many folks had fax machines way before 1980.

My first one was a Qwip. It cost $4,700.00 per unit; since
    I wanted to send docs to another store, I bought two.

AMZN sometimes has the old Qwips listed; $12.95 is the
    usual price.

It took about 5+ minutes to send one page and it sounded
    like a freight train was rolling thru the office.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stayed up way too late last night watching the price of silver surge past $48 and $49 and all but lunge for $50. The price was moving from $48.50 to $49.50 in a matter of seconds.

This morning I was glad to unload my SLV ETF shares at 9:30 AM at the high of the day.

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I like it! The Bulls and the Bear making runs at each other all day......... the Bears puked and had to cover their short postions! Hopefully the Bulls can put some Horn on those Bears and get a close above $50!

I sold some silver on Thursday and sold somemore today...... Apmex $50.32 per oz!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Very big swings today... I've never seen this chart with a 5 dollar range...

I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>Just a couple months ago, we had a day when silver went up 5%, then down 5%. That day was more volitale than today. >>

Yes, i do remember a 3 dollar swing day sometime around 27 $/oz.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver is trading on a peasantine mania, bolstered ONLY by SHORT-covering.
    That mania appears to be FAR from its natural end; wise traders will be ready
    to act BEFORE that end comes. >>

I still believe silver is an upside down bubble. The bubble is in the artificially hammered down prices that are trying to explode. When this type bubble finally does pop, you want to be holding all the silver you can. During the dot.com bubble it was a question of how long they could keep prices propped up. With the inverse silver bubble it's a question of how long they can keep the price held down. It's slippin' and a slidin' away from them!

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    I'm an old fart.
    I was up at midnight last night (CDT) clicking REFRESH on Kitco every few seconds watching silver spike.
    It was DANG exhilarating!!!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    It appears that COMEX/CME margin req's up by 10%...

Maybe SLV drops to $43.78???

Larry
    Liberty Loan Bond Man
  • Options

<< <i>It appears that COMEX/CME margin req's up by 10%...

Maybe SLV drops to $43.78???

Larry >>

Isn't that how the gummint broke the Hunt Brothers, upping the margin requirements?
  • Options
    Margin story linky:

linky
  • Options
    Here is my Silver chart with daily volatility since 5/21/10 (I show the high vol on 11/16/10):

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Just a couple months ago, we had a day when silver went up 5%, then down 5%. That day was more volitale than today.

Yes, when it hit $30, it went to $26.80 within 2 days if i remember. But then within another few days it bolted over $31.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    ABC zig-zag correction in progress. It's a yes! 5 waves total from August to May/June for a normal cycle. Only 2 up legs have occured so far. A 3rd remains. Today's action
    was not the final blow off top in this sequence.

This is merely a small 4th wave correction in the current wave pattern that began on March 15th. Once this wave 4 completes over several days to a week, it will be on to wave 5
    which will take it to a new all time high somewhere in the $54-$62 range by late May or early June. The wave 2 correction that occured in March lasted 6 days and was a relatively
    flattish ABC. This one will probably last no longer but will be much steeper. The two previous up legs ran $11 and $17 respectively. The last one should be something inbetween.
    I see $57-59.XX as a reasonable next topping to toy with the $60 level.

roadrunner
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    So is this probably a good buying opportunity?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>So is this probably a good buying opportunity? >>

Yeah, shaping up that way. I think it will get better as the week progresses. Silver just touched the non-inflation adjusted peak from January 1980. That 31 yr cup
    formation projects another advance from $95 to $380 depending on whether you use a linear or log chart. Silver's summer project after the final push in late May will
    be putting a small handle on this 31 year cup before proceeding later this year.

roadrunner
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Margin requirements - This writer says they need higher than only 9%

Silver Market: Why CME Must Raise Margin Requirements By 30%

The CME routinely sets margins based upon contract prices. So, if Silver goes up $10 more in price, then the ratio of margin to price goes down. In order to realign margins with the higher price, CME would raise the margins.

(Not to say I agree with him. I think it shows how the raising of the margin is a reflex to the price rather than an attempt to control it and that it probably wont have any long term effect.)
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    I have a simple philosophy about charting...

Once you hit a new high and hold that high for a short period, newer highs are coming.

Beyond that, the trick is breaking through to a new high.

$50 will trigger a lot of selling. Survive that selling and there is no overhead resistance.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    With regards to silver value, 1980 & now have nothing to do with one another, not a single common thing. Why? Totally different market, totally different way of trading, far more "instant" technology to reflect true, real time trading. Different standard view of trading (buy & hold then, flip it for a quick profit now).
    Chart it all you want but the only one that really means anything is the current one, going back no more than a year. All jmho.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Just to cheer everyone up!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much bullishness.

No wonder the view is always best at the top.

Been a tough 18 months for many, many folks.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>So much bullishness.

Been a tough 18 months for many, many folks. >>

Yeah. Silver had a textbook 5 wave move from Oct 2008 - April 2011. Don't know what I was seeing at that time but it certainly wasn't the right thing. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So much bullishness.

Been a tough 18 months for many, many folks. >>

Yeah. Silver had a textbook 5 wave move from Oct 2008 - April 2011. Don't know what I was seeing at that time but it certainly wasn't the right thing. image >>

You were probably reading J.S's prophecies and rehashing all those conspiracy angles.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."