Home Precious Metals
Options

sterling silver. can you help me with the silver content?

I have Wallace Grand Baroque, with service for 12, six pieces per place setting, plus six serving pieces. A total of 78 pieces.

Each place setting is:

1 dinner fork
1 salad fork
1 soup spoon
1 knife
2 regular (tea) spoons

On ebay, a dealer says a 48 piece setting for 12 (one dinner fork, one salad fork, one knife, one spoon) has 78 troy ounces of silver.

how much silver have I got?

Comments

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a question they would ask in Algebra, I would be able to figure it out normally, but not tonight. My brain is at 50%image ------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Looks like about 9.5ozs of sterling or about 8.8 in actual silver. I'd put it on a scale. image
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A large serving fork can weigh anywhere from 3/4-1.5OZ...not a table fork but the large one.

I think that dealer on ebay is a little optimistic.

Overall, I think you'll average less than 1OZ of silver per piece. The knife blade is steel.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    thanks streeter. yes, the knife blade is steel. I dont have a scale to measure "troy" and I dont know what the steel weight is in the knives.

I checked Wallace's website to see if they had any specs listed and they dont, so I sent their customer service dept an email.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning ... I mostly just read on the PM side, but if your scale weight can be done in grams, then a Troy Oz = ~31.1035 grams

Sterling is supposed to be .925, therefore it would be ~36.625 grams sterling for each Troy Oz of .999 fine

Additionally, using a standard (US - Avoirdupois wieght) scale, since there are ~454 grams in a US pound, a US ounce = ~28.375 grams

Again with Sterling being .925, it would be ~1.186 US ounces sterling for each Troy Oz of .999 fine

Hope this helps ...

Someone else can confirm my math ... however it's early, and I have only had one cup of coffee

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good morning ... I mostly just read on the PM side, but if your scale weight can be done in grams, then a Troy Oz = ~31.1035 grams

Sterling is supposed to be .925, therefore it would be ~36.625 grams sterling for each Troy Oz of .999 fine

Additionally, using a standard (US - Avoirdupois wieght) scale, since there are ~454 grams in a US pound, a US ounce = ~28.375 grams

Again with Sterling being .925, it would be ~1.186 US ounces sterling for each Troy Oz of .999 fine

Hope this helps ...

Someone else can confirm my math ... however it's early, and I have only had one cup of coffee >>

Absolutely right. Weight all the sterling pieces, not the knives. Take the total in ounces and divide by 1.186 and you end up with the actual ounces of silver. If you were to junk the set, most refineries would pay 90%. Through the refining process, you will lose some silver, up to an additional 10%. If it is definitely sterling, and you wish to junk it, I would think that a refinery would pay you betwen 68% and 75% of current spot when weighed in regular US ounces (.911 troy x .925 sterling x .9 refinery payout).
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited: for error!! Don is correct in post below!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The math is easy.

Just weigh on your postal scale and multiply the results by .911 to get troy pounds.

Then multiply this amount by 12 (troy ounces in a troy pound).

Then multiply this amount by .925 (fineness)

The result is troy ounces of silver.

Multiply that by the price of silver.

Example: 2.6 postal pounds of silver (no knives)

2.6 x .911 =2.3686 troy pounds

2.3686 x 12 = 28.4232 troy ounces

28.4232 x $46.88 = $1,332.48 value of the silver at the market price of $46.88

bobimage >>

I believe your conversion from pounds to troy pounds is flawed. 2.6 postal pounds equals 41.6 ounces or 37.9 troy ounces. I would weigh in ounces and do the conversion from there. I would not use pounds. In your example above, you need to take your 28.4232 troy ounces and multiply by 16/12 (postal ounces in a pound divided by troy ounces in a pound). The .911 conversion factor is for postal ounces to troy ounces, not postal pounds to troy pounds.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    well, it turns out that there is a new "wrinkle" besides the math.

My friend the Beverly Hills pawn shop operator told me that he knows of "sterling silver" marked 925 that has knives filled with sand or some base metal for strength.

this is a new one on me????

anybody else???
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>well, it turns out that there is a new "wrinkle" besides the math.

My friend the Beverly Hills pawn shop operator told me that he knows of "sterling silver" marked 925 that has knives filled with sand or some base metal for strength.

anybody else??? >>

I thought that was STANDARD - for knife handles to be filled with some non-precious metal to reinforce the blade.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

anybody else??? >>

I thought that was STANDARD - for knife handles to be filled with some non-precious metal to reinforce the blade. >>

Absolutely...
    Knife handles are not made of solid silver.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    So how do you properly "value" a knife?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Most people usually value knives at 10g-15g of sterling.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    They're filled with a weighted epoxy for longevity and strength. 10-15gm tops, as our friend Wesley has stated

Most scrap dealers on larger buys figure them for almost nothing as refiners won't accept them unless the steel and filler has been completely removed. Too much labor, trust me on that!! Half the time you have to peel the thin handle off like a banana in sharp jagged pieces. Time, effort and danger!! I've shed a drop or two of blood over the years. The weighted filler is common on candy dishes, candlesticks, etc.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest but messiest way to solve the knife problem is with a little MAPP gas torch. Silver melts like butter at a little more than 1000f. At that point, you're selling the set for scrap unless you plan on just serving yogurt and mashed potatoes for dinner.

While you were trying to determine the value of the knife the price of the load dropped 10%.

I wouldn't sell that set unless it was a matter of whether you had food on the table or not. Use the set 24/7 and see if handling the silver improves your health and immune system. It does for a lot of people. Cheap $2000 investment not to get colds and the flu.

regards
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

anybody else??? >>

I have purchased lots of sterling in the past few years and yes, the knives are usually filled with cement. Depending on the size of the knife, it takes about 3 knives to make an ounce - 4+ if they are small.

Candlesticks and other items are weighted for strength. You have to peel/cut off the silver to get a true weight.

Every sterling silverware set is different so as the others have written, you have to weight everything except for the knives.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    I finally heard back from Wallace, the company that makes the Grand Baroque pattern and gosh am I surprised by what they told me.

Indeed, their sterling silver knives have a stainless blade, and the handle is sterling silver covering "cement" that secures the blade. It took Wallace about two weeks to research this for me.

They did not give me the actual silver content of the knife, nor the weights of the blade or "cement."

I was told (and I dont know if this makes sense or not) that the sterling silver on the handle is made of two halves that are "soldered" together to create the handle over the cement and blade base.

I did not pursue my questions about the actual silver content of the knife.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The knife's sterling handle is filled with epoxy, etc for strength.

Generally, the two halves of the knife handle can get "peeled" away without much effort. No torching necessary.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Knives only have a shell of silver and the blade is stainless. We don't even buy them unless we are buying a set.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Alan;

Before you send your Grand Baroque to the smelter, consider selling to "Replacement's Ltd". Being that this pattern is so popular you may get more $$ image

Also.. You didn't mention if this was the "Luncheon" or "Dinner" sized place settings... Yes, there is a difference... Click Here
  • Options
    thank you. I did get a "price offer" from Replacements because I was curious about what they would offer.

It is the dinner set.

I really dont know what to do with it. Went out to dinner with friends on saturday night and we all discussed the "relics" we inherited from our parents and grandparents.

the concensus was to sell what we dont use.

but I know my particular pattern is worth more than bullion.

one day I might shop it around locally. or maybe I'll get lucky and dining with sterling will come back in fashion.