Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Medal of Honor Gold Coins Shipped Today

JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
I just received notice from the mint that my 2011 Medal of Honor Commemorative Gold Coins were
shipped today with expected delivery date Monday @ 10:30 am !

I love these designs. I am Excited !

Anyone else ?

Comments

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    mine as well......

2011 MOH $5 GOLD PROOF 1 $449.95 $449.95 1 unit shipped on 04/21/2011
    2011 MOH $1 SILVER PROOF 1 $54.95 $54.95 1 unit shipped on 04/22/2011
    2011 MOH $5 GOLD UNC 1 $439.95 $439.95 1 unit shipped on 04/23/2011
    2011 MOH $1 SILVER UNC 1 $49.95 $49.95 1 unit shipped on 04/23/2011

these were all in stock and reserved, then they ship in separate boxes. I know gold ships separate from silver, but I can't figure out why 4 different boxes on 3 different dates ?????

(l8-)>>

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one of my silver coins didn't ship?

I can guess it is security that influences them into shipping gold and silver separately, but all were "in stock and reserved." Why wouldn't they all have shipped in 2 boxes ????

It makes no sense.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>one of my silver coins didn't ship?

I can guess it is security that influences them into shipping gold and silver separately, but all were "in stock and reserved." Why wouldn't they all have shipped in 2 boxes ????

It makes no sense.
    >>

I once read that doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results is the classic definition of insanity. I prefer to think that expecting a government agency or agent to do anything sensible is as well.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    OP can you let us know pls. your first impression when you open the package as to which one looks better in hand...the proof or the unc. Medal of Honor gold Commems? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OOO!

Something to look forward to ... It had been so long since I order mine that I had forgotten that it was the end of April.

Times tends to do that as you grow older. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A design that I'm really into.
    Probably get a couple of the unc's.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Looks like all mine shipped as well, can't wait. 24 hours seems too long image

I believe the PROOF will look nicer, but I like the uncs more.
    Again, I'm happy to see the mint producing these at different mints for PR and unc.

Waiting!
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    4-25-11 10:17am EDST
    Just received both gold coins.
    The proof is a lot nicer than the ms.
    The proof looks better than the mint picture.
    Nice strikes and seem to be centered well.
    I will be keeping both coins.

Sorry no pictures.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Though I haven't yet ordered one, I like these coins a lot, too. Much nicer than the Army design.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Though I haven't yet ordered one, I like these coins a lot, too. Much nicer than the Army design. >>

Mine is being shipped today....finally
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    How much pure silver in the dollars?-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

Coin Specifications:

GOLD:
    Denomination: Five Dollar Coin
    Composition: 90% Gold, 10% alloy
    Diameter: 0.850 inches (± 0.003) or 21.59. mm (± 0.08)
    Weight: 8.359 grams nominal
    Edge: Reeded
    Mintage Limit: 100,000 (across all options)

SILVER:
    Denomination: Dollar Coin
    Composition: 90% Silver, 10% copper
    Diameter: 1.500 inches (± 0.003) or 38.10 mm (± 0.08)
    Weight: 26.730 grams nominal
    Edge: Reeded
    Mintage Limit: 500,000 (across all options)

(l8-)>>

• Options
    MOH gold coins arrived today (silver came yesterday for some odd reason, even though 1 gold and 1 silver were shipped on the same days). While I generally like unc coins better than PROOF, I really hate the surface on these coins (actually on all Mint released unc coins since about 2006).

To me, it looks like the "sand blast" surface is produced by some digitized process, there is no randomness to the pattern. When I look at unc coins from pre 2006, there is a sheen to the surface, unc coins now are merely flat in appearance - not good in my humble opinion.

Both the PROOF and the unc coins do appear absolutely perfect from a surface quality point of view, which is a big difference when compared to the silver MOH coins.

Overall, the designs are truly beautiful, another nice change from most modern mint designs.
  • Options
    the overall quality of mine are worse than the Army Commem.

The gold proof looks perfect.
    The silver proof looks good except for a pit in the field on the reverse.

The gold unc. has a few shiny spots on it
    the silver unc. has a lot, lot, lot, lot of shiny spots on it.

I may try to swap out the unc. at least. the shiny spots really stand on the surface of the matte coin.

Only 2 70's from the 6 Army coins. All could have gone 70, imo.

PS: I didn't receive the gold unc coin that said it was shipped with the silver proof coin.(allegedly, they do not ship gold and silver in the same box.) Last night I checked and the thing still said my gold unc coin shipped saturday with the proof I received monday. There were only 3 tracking numbers for the 4 coins. The rep said to wait until today to see what the last box had in it, even though that was to be a silver unc.

Surprise. a 4th box showed up with a 4th tracking number that wasn't even in the system. So, I finally get all the coins. And the system still only shows 3 tracking numbers/boxes when 4 were received.

Point? Their shipping department is messed up. I had similar problems with the Army coins. One came without any ship notice at all. Surprise, you have a package to sign for! So much for automation.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

How much silver is in these coins?

Is it 1 oz of silver or less because of the copper?

• Options
    What you described is exactly what happened to me. My MOH order shipped in 4 separate boxes w/ 3 tracking numbers on order page???????
    That is also exactly what happened to my Army comm. coins as well. These people have spent a fortune on UPS next day air shipments of nearly empty boxes. All because the refused to offer 4 or 6 coin sets???????

(l8-)>>

• Options
    The mint was willing to go with "no signature required" until we pitched a fit.

Yet they still ship gold $5 coins in a separate box from the $1 silver coins????

• Options

<< <i>How much silver is in these coins?

Is it 1 oz of silver or less because of the copper? >>

they weigh less than 1 troy ounce and are 90% silver on top of that.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both the PROOF and the unc coins do appear absolutely perfect from a surface quality point of view, which is a big difference when compared to the silver MOH coins. >>

I agree with your assessment ... mine appear to be flawless, but if I could grade properly, I'd be working for PCGS.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback guys! image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered a MOH UNC Gold last week along with a Mary Todd Lincoln medal one the same order. They shipped seperately! I did a delivery confirmation on a $5 product. imageP

The coin looks fine-- no problems or anything. Widgety.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file