Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this chopmarked Trade dollar uncirculated? PCGS HAS GIVEN THEIR OPINION.

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got this in todays mail and it has a chopmark over the foot of Liberty and you can see the damage that was transfered to the reverse. What grade would you give it from these pictures? I have the coin in hand and am sure that is has not been cleaned. Dipped most likely,but not wiped. It has very nice cartwheel luster when rotated.

The coin was graded AU-58 CM. It's the nicest 58 chopmark I have ever seen. I have seen worse in Mintstate holders.

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can these be considered uncirculted if they were choped as that is prove of circulation IMO? I thought the chops were proof that they were in commere.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    TPG's do certify chopmarked trade dollars as UNC. The chopmarks limit the grade. I have never seen one with obvious chopmarks grade higher than MS 63.

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i see evidence of a cleaning that is holding back the luster but i would have no problem calling it UNC details even with the chop (refering to the raw coin the OP is showing)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au58.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU, cleaned. Looks like damage on the reverse.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AU, cleaned. Looks like damage on the reverse. >>

yip
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from the damage, the coin is an AU with the mint frost broken rather extensively. It's not really close to "slider" (AU-58) status.

Where is the chop mark? Is it in the water in front of Ms. Liberty's feet? It must be opposide of the damage on the reverse.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a long time chop marks were considered damage and coin doctors would smooth out the chop marks to sell the coin as being damage free.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TTT for more opinions after adding my in hand pictures. Yeah they are not lit well enough and a little out of focus, but the best I can do with what I have. Thanks for your opinions.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AU, cleaned. Looks like damage on the reverse. >>

Read my mind.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Aside from the damage, the coin is an AU with the mint frost broken rather extensively. It's not really close to "slider" (AU-58) status.

Where is the chop mark? Is it in the water in front of Ms. Liberty's feet? It must be opposide of the damage on the reverse. >>

To be fair I can't count the number of 19th Cen American coins I have seen in MS holders with broken mint frost/ cabinet friction that were simply net graded.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Perry Hall nailed it- AU, cleaned, and those scratches on the eagle will sink it.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my first thought is au58 but it looks like it was cleaned.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The "damage" on the reverse is due to the chop mark on the obverse. However, the rim dings make it an AU58 at best.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62 due to the rim damage on the reverse above the chop (not a part of the chop damage). Nice
    coin and if you have nice cartwheels, you have an MS dollar.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>I think Perry Hall nailed it- AU, cleaned, and those scratches on the eagle will sink it. >>

You are seeing things,there are NO scratches on the eagle!
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the AU58 camp. A few whips fo hairlines in the field in front, behind on MS Liberty.

Need a better image of the luster.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think Perry Hall nailed it- AU, cleaned, and those scratches on the eagle will sink it. >>

You are seeing things,there are NO scratches on the eagle! >>

I think he's referring to the parallel scratches on the eagle from below the right wing all the way over to the left foot.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You are seeing things,there are NO scratches on the eagle! >>

I think he's referring to the parallel scratches on the eagle from below the right wing all the way over to the left foot. >>

I see what you are referring to, but they are not scratches. Appears the wing feathers are lined up in a straight line.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    not seeing it in a PCGS slab, hey SEGS might slab it and note the problems.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see it holdered as high Au/low MS.
  • Options
    Bump after posting a picture of the coin in its new Pcgs AU-58 Chopmark holder.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one, Dave!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Looks like a nice Au58 well done and for the a earlier post; there are quite a few MS64 graded Chop Mark Dollars over the MS63s. No Gems though

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file