Home Precious Metals

Silver Maple leaf vs Silver Eagle - Same worth?

The Maple Leaf suppose to be .9999% silver and the Eagle .999% silver. I have seen someone mention that fact and that the Maple would be worth more if selling for melt value. Is this true? .999 vs .9999 seems to me to be too small to even consider.

JC

Comments

• No , it's not strictly true , often the SAE will realise more even though the Maple is .9999.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't they sell for close to the same amount? They are both coins with a full ounce of silver. And, doesn't the Canadian Maple leaf have a much higher face value?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No , it's not strictly true , often the SAE will realise more even though the Maple is .9999. >>

ASE is lot more popular to a much larger audience then the Maple
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It Depends.

edit: "it depends?" on what?

A: On who, what, when, where, and how the transaction takes place.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    ASEs sell for slightly more than Maple leafs, same with gold eagles vs gold maple leafs. However some maple leafs that have privy marks go for a lot!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • "Some" being the keyword when it comes to privy marked maples , the Canadians went privy mad i think , there's not much that isnt.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Some" being the keyword when it comes to privy marked maples , the Canadians went privy mad i think , there's not much that isnt. >>

The privy (commemorative) silver maples bring in more from collectors than the regular maples. I would rank premium (lowest first) between the three coins in this order: bullion maple, bullion ASE, bullion privy maple.
    bottom line: an ounce of silver is an ounce of silver. It will almost always sell just above spot price with an additional premium based on make and model.

My experience with thousands of each has shown a higher percentage of spotted maples over spotted eagles and quicker spotting on maples than on eagles. Bullion buyers don't really care about spotting as much as they care about price.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• And Canadian and US bullion coins are collector bullion, generally in the US you will see American coins sell for a little more, and they also will buy them for a little more....I think it has little to do with melt value and more to do with who your customers are and what they want...US coins (i.e. 90%silvers, bullion) will always sell for a bit more of a premium then Canadian. At least that is my experience.
    theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?
  • I live near the Canadian border, therefore I prefer Maples.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood why Maples trade for less than ASEs. One has a $5 face value in a "stable" currency and the other $1 face in a "lousy" currency. image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Im in Pa and have always prefered the maples too , mainly because it's purer but there is at least some reverse changes over the years too. If as the doom and gloom merchants predict the S really does ever HTF it's not going to matter how pretty or rare your PM is , it's a level playing field.I'll take mine as pure as possible and that took me to Canada and Australia.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never understood why Maples trade for less than ASEs. One has a $5 face value in a "stable" currency and the other $1 face in a "lousy" currency. image >>

Is the face value relevant unless the price of silver drops below $5 Canadian?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never understood why Maples trade for less than ASEs. One has a $5 face value in a "stable" currency and the other $1 face in a "lousy" currency. image >>

I think someone hacked into cohodk's CU accountimage

I'm in the same boat as Kuch. I live close to the border and I personally favor the Maple Leaf. Overall, we are clearly in the minority.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've purchased some of the Wolf and Grizzly Bear coins for 2011. They're nice but they cost more for sure, I thought I broke the Panda collecting habit image I usually buy ASE's only because American's prefer American Coins.