Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you have made this deal?

Hey everyone.

I am running my friends B&M shop while he is out for about three weeks. Today I had a man come in and ask me if we bought bullion eagles. I told him yes. He told me he was looking for 34 apiece for them. Spot was at 33.40. He was insulted when and left when I told him our price. Would have given him over spot? I was offering 30.50

Cliff
RACC
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    What was your offer?
    Becky
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mentioned he was insulted at your price, so might you share your buy price? By the way, the local B&M by me sells ASEs at spot+$4 and buys them at spot+$2.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on a few additional facts...

how many eagles was he trying to sell? The offer may be different if it were one coin or 500 coins. Also, were they all banged up or like new in original rolls? Do you have buyers you can sell them to immediately with just a phone call (and at what price)?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local dealer buys ASEs at over spot.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His ask price seemed quite fair. I can't wait to hear what you offered him.image

Now that you edited your post with your buy offer, I can see why he considered your offer of $3 BELOW melt to be an insult. I'm sure he'll tell all his friends how he was treated.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I am unsure how someone can make money by buying something over the cost of what people will buy it for in the hopes that it rise enought to make it worth his while.

I guess I am just a novice at this. He was selling 100
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, now that you've added your buy offer of $30.50 when spot was $33.40 I can tell you that I wouldn't have been insulted, but I also wouldn't likely return to the shop any time soon.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At $3 back of spot I think many would pass on your price. Locally I believe I can sell regular rounds at .50 to .75 back of spot. I would expect more than spot for Eagles.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Every shop has their own buy/sell spread. Although this buy offer was leaning on the low side IMO , this may be what the shop owner has to work off of.

How many were they selling? Were they BU or loose and all banged up?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I guess I need to learn more about this type of market and the margins that most would work off of. Learning never ends. Thanks everyone for the information I believe I will adjust my offer

Cliff
    RACC
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on some of the prices others are quoting here, seems like you could have bought them all for $34 each and probably could have sold them today (probably in less than an hour or two) on the BST for $35 each + shipping (maybe a little more). Could have made a fast $100 for putting some coins in a box and taking them to the post office and made at least two customers happy.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My local dealer buys ASEs at over spot. >>

Ditto. I get spot + $.75 for previous years (minus the '96) and ~spot +$2 (give or take a quarter) for current year.

Now, what's your sell on these? If you bought for $30.50 and spot was $33.40, what would your sell price be? If it was anything over spot, well, then I wouldn't think about selling anything to you and would be very hesitant buying

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

I buy coins locally and get calls asking my buy price on SAE's. I usually just tell them I'm not in the market to buy them, but will buy everything else. I made the personal decision that making 1/2 of 1 percent isn't going to cut it for me, not with my cash outlay and being at the mercy of the silver market. If they insist on a price over the phone, I only quote for a minimum of 100 @ $2 under spot and keep my fingers crossed that I'm not the best price in town. I think the low margins are just plain nuts.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey everyone.

I am running my friends B&M shop while he is out for about three weeks. Today I had a man come in and ask me if we bought bullion eagles. I told him yes. He told me he was looking for 34 apiece for them. Spot was at 33.40. He was insulted when and left when I told him our price. Would have given him over spot? I was offering 30.50

Cliff >>

Silver closed yesterday at $34.00, and you offered the gentlemen $30.50 and would have sold those for upwards of $3 over spot.

I have to agree with the others on this. That was a low offer from you, and I would have been insulted myself. Not for nothing, he will most definitely spread the word about this, and future business will be affected.

Locally by me, ASEs sell for $2.50 - $3 over spot, and they will buy them for $2 over spot.
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Wow..... your offer was insulting! I too would have left and I would spread the word to anyone who would listen that your shop is a rip-off! You asked and I answered honestly! Probably not what you wanted to hera.... it would be nice to know what the owner of the business will think of your offer.... Good Luck going forward! image
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Most dealers I know will buy them at spot and sell them for $1-2 over spot.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    How many was he trying to sell?

Oops, just saw 100.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't your friend tell yu how to price for buying or selling??

Hope he isn't reading your post.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, now that you've added your buy offer of $30.50 when spot was $33.40 I can tell you that I wouldn't have been insulted, but I also wouldn't likely return to the shop any time soon. >>

With APMEX having a buy back of $1.80 over spot, I'd take my business elsewhere. All I can say, I hope the owner returns shortly before you do any more damage with his customers.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    morganmanic I would turned you down also. I can easily sell silver eagles for spot + a few bucks, heck even dealers are buying them for spot +. Your offer of 30.50 was LOW!!!!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file