Home Precious Metals
Options

Would You buy silver for investment at today's price?

At nearly $34/oz. do you have the confidence to purchase silver for investment?

I have no idea what the price will be in the next few months, years, etc. Last August when silver hung around $17-18 and you asked me where it'd be today I'd answer, "not much different, maybe $15-20/oz." I play with coins and am not savvy on bigger markets like com-
modities, so I don't have accurate gut feelings on the pms. But, the higher they go, the less chance for profit, i.e. there's a limit to all the growth, right?

Comments

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    I would and do purchase silver every week and will continue to do so. At this point, depending on how much you have to invest, take out a position with some of your money and add to it each week.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compared to last year's price, silver is expensive.

Compared to the 1980 high (adjusted for inflation), silver is cheap.

The past is often not a reliable guide to the future. Current issues such as rapid money creation, growing investment and "safe haven" demand, reported supply shortages and alleged price manipulation are more important than last August's price in determining whether silver is a good buy at $34.

My personal opinion is that silver still has room to grow (or more accurately, the U.S. dollar still has room to shrink). But I could be wrong, so to me silver only makes sense as a portion of a more diversified approach to investing.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I bought some about an hour ago on the bay.

Less than melt, I think silver is still inexpensive.

edit

I bought some about an hour ago on the bay, at less than melt.

Silver is still cheap.

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I personally don't want to sell the silver I do have, but I need current funds to buy coins for resale and to pay for those darn PCGS grading fees (which is necessary but can tie up funds for a month-plus, cashflow.) I don't like worn-out 90% silver coins(someday they're going to weigh the stuff), but will buy original BU silver rolls with hopes of finding gem singles and keeping the balance as a reserve.

Specifically, I won't tie-up new funds in strictly silver bullion but will consider original BU 90% silver rolls because of the additional possibility of finding slab candidates.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't know for sure if silver will continue it's bull market, but we do know for sure that the dollar will continue to be worth less each day that passes. If it's a question of dollars or silver, I vote silver.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy silver for investment at these prices.
  • Options
    Buy,Buy,Buy,When silver is $50.00 you will say Dam.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I agree buy now! I buy some every day and make a weekly trip to my safe deposit box at the bank. Now as long as the bank doesn't close----
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not buying at these prices. But I've also reached what I feel is a pretty good percent of my net worth in metals.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    See you at $50 image

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still buying.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    If you go with the rule buy low and sell high, then the charts say this is not a time to buy.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I'm still Buying (when I have the cash)

• Options
    Al21Al21 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    I will buy on the next dip.

Successful BST transactions with WTCG, NH48400, evil empire,
    meltdown, timrutnat, bumanchu, 2ndCharter, rpw, AgBlox, indiananationals, yellowkid, RGJohn, fishteeth, rkfish, Ponyexpress8, kalshacon, Tdec1000, Coinlieutenant, SamByrd, Coppercolor
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I still buy an ounce here and there. Eventually, gold is going to get too high for the average joe to buy and average joe will probably not want to screw with the premium price for fractionals. Silver is still very much a metal that everyday people can buy and hold so I see it as a good metal to hold as it will slowly go up. I'm buying and holding for the long term with my gold, cash, and stocks.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>If you go with the rule buy low and sell high, then the charts say this is not a time to buy.

image >>

I do not have a crystal ball so I am not sure we are at the high. Not sure how you know. Microsoft, Apple, and many others would have shown similar charts and you would have missed out on making very big dollars. Silver could explode higher while the downside is limited especially if you have a medium to long term view.

You do not need a crystal ball to see that our nation's debt (and many other country's debt) continues to grow, the Dollar continues to fall, and silver demand (both industrial and investing) gets stronger and stronger. Could silver dip? Of course but the trend is for higher prices. Just as there is a finite number of shares for Apple (forcing its price higher when investor demand is strong) there is a finite amount of silver. Greater demand will dictate a higher price.

My bet is that our politicians are too weak to do the right thing while advancing nations continue to need more and more commodities to grow. A winning combination for silver.

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still buying silver...but not bullion...image
    good buy at todays silver spot
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageOPA. Bought some more today. I have also been buying the 2010 silver quarter sets.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is still a ways to go.... buying now will likely give you profits, but not major profits compared to buying in quantity three years ago. Some of us did. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageOPA. Bought some more today. I have also been buying the 2010 silver quarter sets. >>

Unfortunately they are sold out with the quarter sets.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Three years ago?? image
  • Options

<< <i>If you go with the rule buy low and sell high, then the charts say this is not a time to buy.

image >>

The paper silver market is thinly traded and is highly manipulated by the major short players. Using charts to predict short to medium term movements in a market that is manipulated is useless.
  • Options

<< <i>At nearly $34/oz. do you have the confidence to purchase silver for investment?

I have no idea what the price will be in the next few months, years, etc. Last August when silver hung around $17-18 and you asked me where it'd be today I'd answer, "not much different, maybe $15-20/oz." I play with coins and am not savvy on bigger markets like com-
    modities, so I don't have accurate gut feelings on the pms. But, the higher they go, the less chance for profit, i.e. there's a limit to all the growth, right? >>

Here is an article to help you make up your mind:

The Daily Crux and Jeff Clark

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apple is pretty much at an all-time high. 15 million shares traded hands today at around $350 dollars. Lot's of people think it's going higher. Much higher. Just an analogy. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    $12 an ounce seemed outragous at the time. Glad that didn't hold me back.

• Options

image >>

So, 13 Oct was not a good time to buy?

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still buying silver...but not bullion...image
    good buy at todays silver spot >>

your only about $10 in the whole with these, right?...including counting the prezzies and scajawea, nickel and cent.

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I guess those answered "yes" and followed through with action are pretty happy!

Edited: They bought at $34. or abouts.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been buying from $30 onward within the constraints of cash flow.

Today I picked up more of the SLV ETF at the absurd price of $44.74. Who would have thunk it just a month ago.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been buying from $30 onward within the constraints of cash flow.

Today I picked up more of the SLV ETF at the absurd price of $44.74. Who would have thunk it just a month ago. >>

Bought some SLV yesterday at $43.80
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    yep
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Call me crazy but I just purchased a nice stack yesterday at $45 an oz
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im still buying. I treat it like a monthly bill that I must pay. I stopped having a portion of my check deposited into my savings account and now use it for silver.