Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got silvered today --- in a fascinating way

GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭
Went to the store yesterday morning on the way to church and when I checked my change, this looked kinda different.

I guess the hard times are bringing out all the old stuff.

1935 D.
imageimage

Comments

• It pays to go to church. image
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

Good thing you got it first because if this had made its way to the bank, it'd probably get returned to the Federal Reserve and shredded.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... I have not had one of those show up in commerce in years. Cheers, RickO
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it as unlucky (and not just because it involves church).

That bill, issued in 1935, represented roughly $1. Today it purchases considerably less than the $1 it represented in the 1930s or even the recall in the 1960s.

If the owner had turned it in for a silver dollar, it would be worth 20 times that much. Maybe more (maybe much more).
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wife found this one for me in her classroom in 2010

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow great find!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of a neat curiosity. But, are they worth any more that a buck in that condition?

Fun to search and discover and that's the real key.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • The hard times do seem to be pulling out old stockpiles. I typically see one wheat cent showing up in change every three or four years. I've found as of late four within the last eighteen months.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

Like Bob said, neat find for the collector. I got a $5 blue from the dog track 4 years ago. Cool surprise!
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat find. Can I suggest that you at least unfold the corners?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    What a cool find! I received a couple silver certificates from my grandfather but can't imagine finding one in change.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Neat find. Can I suggest that you at least unfold the corners? >>

Yeah...It's now been layered in parchment paper and being pressed in the middle of a large, heavy book.

I know it's only worth about face, but I love finding this old stuff in circulation. I got a 192?(forget the date...22, maybe?) $20 in change once back in 1987. Still have it at my dads and it looks like brand new with only a couple creases.
    imageimage

• SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭

<< <i>I see it as unlucky (and not just because it involves church).

That bill, issued in 1935, represented roughly $1. Today it purchases considerably less than the $1 it represented in the 1930s or even the recall in the 1960s.

If the owner had turned it in for a silver dollar, it would be worth 20 times that much. Maybe more (maybe much more). >>

fyi, I think the 1935 D was issued in the late 40's - early 50's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file