Home U.S. Coin Forum

From NGC details grade to PCGS XF-40...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
This sort of thing happens all the time, I know, but I rarely see it in my area.

NGC Details grade in January FUN sale

PCGS XF-40 in Sacramento ANA sale

Based on the photos, I would have guessed that it would grade. The buyer looks to triple his money in a short time.

Comments

• That was a risky move for the buyer to make. Looks like it's going to pay off nicely.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    The Buyer/Seller is going to have a nice pay day as a result of his gamble!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market acceptable.

There was also a a thread recently with a coin that was ngc details graded and then crossed to pcgs and got a CAC sticker.

Edited to add previous link another gold piece
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Someone at NGC needs to learn to grade gold better. Pricey mistake and it causes someone to loose money. I'd be Madimage
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Not as big and it's darkside but, I cracked a 1940 1 MIL Palestine Mandate (key date) out of an NGC UNC Details Environmental Damage holder and recieved an MS63BN from our hosts. Not bad for a $40 Ebay purchase and $14 for grading! I estimate that it is a $250 coin.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

• << <i>Someone at NGC needs to learn to grade gold better. Pricey mistake and it causes someone to loose money. I'd be Madimage >>

If NGC grades a coin higher than PCGS, they get ripped for not being conservative enough in their grading. If NGC grades a coin lower than PCGS, they get ripped for no knowing how to grade and costing somebody money.

Is that about right? image

Rhetorical questions: 1) Is it at all possible that NGC got it right, and PCGS made an error? 2) Is it at all possible that on another submission, PCGS might bb the coin?

I mean- people resubmit PCGS graded coins and get different results from the original opinion (if the posts here are to be believed, anyway), so it's not like PCGS never changes their mind, right?
  • The coin is the same. The losers here are the people who but labels.

• << <i>The coin is the same. The losers here are the people who buy labels. >>

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

I have seen plenty of NGC/PCGS genuine ungraded coins that look(at least to me)problem free and gradable.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Spuds said. Spot on. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My impressions of the coin are based on my analysis of the images. If I had seen the coin in person, my opinion might be different.

The coin looks like a decent coin to me, one that usually would grade but occasionally does not. In person, one can make that determination. In my opinion, it is too risky to buy such coins sight unseen.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    the loser might be the buyer if it really is a details coin and not XF
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An opinion may or may not be worth the price paid for the opinion. The coin is or isn't what any singular individual decides. I would look at this coin long and hard in hand before passing judgement.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone at NGC needs to learn to grade gold better. Pricey mistake and it causes someone to loose money. I'd be Madimage >>

Then again what would it take to be reasonably sure what was right? A panel of experts?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • FWIW, it does look a little cleaned. I'm glad PCGS gave it a grade, though. I think it should go as acceptable. It's just a somewhat dead surface, that's all. I've got old gold like that, too.

• rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    No shock whatsoever.

I've probably run... hmmm... 50-60% on getting my "Genuine" coins into graded holders second try. In my experience it's a crapshoot.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    rld14 your comment doesn't make PCGS look good at all!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sort of thing encourages re-submissions. When a coin goes from a no-grade to a first world holder, it screams 'inconsistency,' and that an expert in the field screwed-up. It's not good for the hobby.

As a matter of first impression, if two experts disagree so strongly about a coin, I make a point of avoiding said coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When gold coins are made they have luster but this, what happen? Can anyone here post another that's dead in the water with no luster?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    no luster?

few XF40 coins have luster, do they?
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second set of images make the coin look much more attractive.

Bruce
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The second set of images make the coin look much more attractive.

Bruce >>

If you are referring to the in-the-slab photos in the PCGS holders, I have founds these to be a very good representation of the appearance of the coin, of late, such that I am comfortable bidding on and purchasing lower value coins (until I get burned).
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a dealer with one of these that cracked his PCGS MS63 and got it BB'd at NGC, then BB'd at PCGS. He was waiting in line at the LB show to complain, old PCGS insert in hand. All they could tell him was to just keep resubmitting it until he got the grade he liked. image
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are referring to the in-the-slab photos in the PCGS holders, I have founds these to be a very good representation of the appearance of the coin, of late, such that I am comfortable bidding on and purchasing lower value coins (until I get burned).

I'd agree. Hairlining seems to show up pretty well on coins photographed through PCGS holders. (This judging from photos of coins I own). I wonder why, something about the way the plastic refracts?

The corrolary is that sometimes I see a photo that just looks "flat" and I think maybe it's been taken in a way that the hairlines aren't visible. To these, I be wary.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Why is RYK dirtying his hands doing searches on XF-40 coins, let alone, improperly cleaned coins? image

Based on the XF-40 slab photo (assuming it is accurate), it is an unimpressive coin, though it is the key to the series.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file