Home Precious Metals
Options

Its becoming very clear that we have 2 distinct groups here....POLL!

There are, it seems 2 very distinct and seperate types of bullion enthusiasts here in this forum. Camp #1 is what I'd like to call the "speculator/investor" group. They buy on the dips and sell on the run ups and try to make a few bucks on the volatility of metals. Their number 1 (and perhaps sole) goal is to make a profit....either short or medium term. They have little to no interest in long term holdings of the metal.

Camp #2 is what I'd like to describe as the "insurance stack" group. These guys buy metals as discretionary income allows, and only rarely sell metals (usually to fund other metal purchases) on occasion. The main goals of this group is to grow a stockpile of tangible assets to have for when the dollar falls from favor. Most in this camp could really care less about the daily or weekly swings of the metals markets other than as a form of entertainment or perhaps a buying opportunity. This group does not contemplate what the value of the metal will be in a year as they purchase it today....only that the metal will be there in the time of extreme monetary stress such as the collapse of the dollar.

Which camp are YOU in?

Im a camp #2 guy.

Comments

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I go into #2. I don't expect anything catastrophic and don't buy into the whole SHTF hypothesis. I do, however, believe it's a good thing to diversify one's investments to have all bases covered for the later years in life. I like many baskets. Metals, cash, and stocks. image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted camp 2 but truth be told I lay smoewhere in the middle. I will sell silver one day. I hold this a spectulative metal. Gold I hold solely as wealth insurance and can not ever see selling it unless forced to. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted camp #2 but with reservations. Since Feb 2009 current income that would have been formerly used for common stocks or banks CDs has instead purchased metals. None of my physical (I view it as insurance) is for sale. Volatility is not a concern.

Simultaneoulsy I buy and sell the SLV ETF to bolster my pension. I may buy and sell multiple times any given week.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a nice profit on the silver I sold recently, but that wasn't my objective in selling and it's not any indication of whether I'll make a profit the next time I sell.

I don't feel it's necessary to make a profit on precious metals, although I have every intention of doing so.

I don't consider precious metals necessarily to be insurance. I truly consider the metals to be real money - because they actually are real money. Conversely, I don't think that the currency we use is much of an excuse for real money. It used to be, but it's not now.

As long as I have income and until I think of something better, my savings will eventually find its way back into pms or coins.

Seriously, does anyone have any better ideas right now?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are more than 2 camps, I'm in the 5th camp, coin collector with a side interest in bullion, trading around a core position

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3 - both

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I'm a collector but I fit into #1 and #2 as well. image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    camp 1, but converting pretty quickly to camp 2.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Seriously, does anyone have any better ideas right now?image >>

I'd sell every single coin I own, PM's and all for the right piece of land.
    I want 50 to 100 acres in rural WV with a few bottom acres, a stream, and some timber.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely #1 & I dismiss all the bs conspiracy nonsense along with crystal gazing fortune tellers. Common sense will prevail. "Live long and prosper & never look a gift horse in the mouth."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>#3 - both >>

Me too. Both. Physical for long term stacking, ETFs (GLD, GDX) and options on them for short term trading.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I vote for #1 but #3 would be my choice.

I have been buying and selling for the past 6 months but am concentrating on buying right now.
  • Options
    Definately #2 for me.

I'm buy physical PMs along with PM and mining stocks, strictly for "insurance". I'm of the mind that value of gold does not really increase nor decrease in value, rather it reflects the weakening or strengthening of the pertinent currency. So, I'm buying now to maintain some resemblence of wealth, just incase.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Seriously, does anyone have any better ideas right now?image >>

I'd sell every single coin I own, PM's and all for the right piece of land.
    I want 50 to 100 acres in rural WV with a few bottom acres, a stream, and some timber. >>

Sounds like a wonderful plan Dave. Best wishes to you on achieving your dream. Give me directions when you do as I would love to visit. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camp #1 for me. Got tired of camp #2 and crossed the line about a year ago.
    Glad I did.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I checked two but I'm probably more like MJ, somewhere in the middle. I don't buy silver at all. I have pretty much made my PM allotment, it is mostly gold funds with some tangible metal. I think the only way I would sell my gold funds would be to buy the metal itself

PS I'm retired and don't worry about the "long haul" much anymore.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted #2.

Actually I'm 20% #1 and 80% #2.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I felt sorry for camp 1 so voted with them.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    Count me as a 2
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    2. Have never sold a coin. Can't see selling at all and will use silver as barter when paper money become obsolete.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I use my PM stack as a savings account. I will move some Au to play market on Ag.

My home, stocks, & coins are my investments.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely #2 - it's strictly an insurance policy for me. I wouldn't mind if the price of PMs totally collapsed because it would mean the government was getting their fiscal act together and all of my other investments (including pension) would be safe. (ain't going to happen but it's nice to dream).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2, haven't sold anything yet, don't plan on it unless circumstances dictate it.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2.

While I think we are due for significant and very painful readjustments, I figure the country will eventually rise from its ashes better off once we face the music.

I do think that paper money is a bad place to be now, though, and that PMs are one of the few ways left to preserve wealth. I'm also looking into farm land.
  • Options
    numero dos
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options

<< <i>#2.

I'm also looking into farm land. >>

David

Somehow I'm having great difficulty imagining a sophisticated, dazzling urbanite like yourself embracing a rural existence as you round up the pigs and muck out the chicken coop.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>#2.

David

Somehow I'm having great difficulty imagining a sophisticated, dazzling urbanite like yourself embracing a rural existence as you round up the pigs and muck out the chicken coop. >>

imageCome on joins in the "fun" of farm life!imageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Somehow I'm having great difficulty imagining a sophisticated, dazzling urbanite like yourself embracing a rural existence as you round up the pigs and muck out the chicken coop. >>

SM...ever watch a show called Green Acres.image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting stats... However, I suspect that 90%+ of the # 2's have been eliminated from this thread.

PM price guessing
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Somehow I'm having great difficulty imagining a sophisticated, dazzling urbanite like yourself embracing a rural existence as you round up the pigs and muck out the chicken coop. >>

SM...ever watch a show called Green Acres.image >>

Indeed! and I too, could fit into that scenario...................but only as a "Mr. Haney" with all his deals, trades, and opportunities just too good to miss image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>numero dos >>

i was just going to type this, myself

• Options
    There should be a 3rd option on this poll

I'd venture to gues that many would be fence splitters

I'm one of those that split the fence

hold enough to see where it will rise and dump when I want smoething special..

• Options

<< <i>Me too. Both. Physical for long term stacking, ETFs (GLD, GDX) and options on them for short term trading. >>

I haven't used SLV or GLD, but I've been gradually putting money into stocks like PAL and AUY with the hope of setting that money aside for eventually purchasing their precious metals counterparts. Instead of buying a 1/10 oz eagle I'll put that money into gold stock until I can purchase an ounce. It's been working so far, except I don't want to cash out my PAL to purchase palladium. lol
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>#2.

David

Somehow I'm having great difficulty imagining a sophisticated, dazzling urbanite like yourself embracing a rural existence as you round up the pigs and muck out the chicken coop. >>

I had smoething in mind like sitting on a veranda sipping spiked mint juleps, feeling the cool evening breeze waft through my white mane, listening to all the guys who didn't buy silver playing the banjo after a hard but noble day's work rounding up my pigs and chickens and herding my exotic free-range caribou.
  • Options
    David, sign me up as a ranch hand. I'm in................MJ
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    #3 here.....
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin