Home U.S. Coin Forum

A bag of unsearched Wheaties...SCORE!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the past decade or so, I've been tossing my (really) unsearched Lincolns into a (really) unsearched bag. Today, I finally got around to sorting it. I found hundreds of coins too good to sell at a few cents a pop, but the best one by far was a filthy, obviously never touched by a collector, Choice AU 1955 double die.

Blew my mind. I figure I would have had a better chance of winning the lottery!
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You got this in change at some point? Astounding.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....

you've cherry picked yourself?!?!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I assume these weren't coins you got in change but coins you took in and believed the unsearched story? --Jerry
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So....

you've cherry picked yourself?!?! >>

I think you should inform the dealer and at least split the difference. image
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wowee
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! What a blast. Enjoy it.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics or it didn't happen!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mighta forgot this: image
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great score Andy!

The 55DDO is one of my favorite coins.

Just proves unsearched wheat cent bags do exist.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they came in a collection over the years that he threw into a bag and finally went through.....great score Andy!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best guess is that the coin was part of an auction lot, one of those cigar box lots. I probably pulled out the "good stuff" and tossed all the Lincolns aside for another day. If you saw the coin, it would obvious that it never saw the inside of an album or flip.
    Andy Lustig

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe this BS for a hot second!

I know for a FACT that you have imaging resourses Mr Eureka, where's the proof?
    Make me eat my words! image
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    so neat!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pics or it didn't happen! >>

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Andy... let me be the first to say... You Suck image

Now for the "ethical" question... will you now try to find the source of this score to share the bounty?

Tell ya what... just get some bacon for Aki and call it a day image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow!!! Please post a pic when you get the chance.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Incredible find Andy. Congratulations. Can't wait to see pics!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Cool!
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That just goes to show that nice finds are still out thereimage
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liver and Peppermint Lifesavers for Aki tonight! image

JK - I used to work for someone who had a neurotic Jack Russell that loved P-mint Lifesavers! image

BTW - how does a choice AU get to be filthy dirty ? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UFB, way to go. Its the first I have ever "known" of someone finding one since I started collecting in 1964!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    For the record, I did buy a fresh supply of turkey burgers for Aki tonight, and he has already enjoyed the first one. It's only fair!
    Andy Lustig

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For several years when I was working at the coin shop, I used to put the interesting looking exonumia out in the prices junk boxes, and throw the cheap looking stuff in a plastic tub to look at "later."

Before I left I went through a number of "later" projects, and in doing this one picked up a paper envelope that felt heavy. In it was a European Kennedy medal of the type that were very popular back in the 1960's, that looked like anodized aluminum, but as I said it felt heavy so I did a specific gravity. 30 grams of 14kt gold. No markings on it as to content.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    wonder if that bridge is still for sale.....
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That just goes to show that nice finds are still out thereimage >>

No, it's just goes to show that nice finds are still at MrEureka's! image
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Andy... let me be the first to say... You Suck image

Now for the "ethical" question... will you now try to find the source of this score to share the bounty?

Tell ya what... just get some bacon for Aki and call it a day image >>

I know your kidding....right?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i>I don't believe this BS for a hot second!

I know for a FACT that you have imaging resourses Mr Eureka, where's the proof?
    Make me eat my words! image >>

I found one in a parking lot. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great....I am hoping I find something good in the two gallons of totally unsearched wheaties I have stored away. Many years of them just getting put in jugs/rolls without examination. There MUST be a good one - or two - in there. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the cherry pick wtg image
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you can list the rest of them on eBay with a caption that says (in all CAPS and with multiple misspelled words, of course), "L@@K UNSEARCHED WHEETS, SHINNY '55 DOUBLE DYE FOUND ALREDY!"

After a detour to NCS, NGC posted my grade today.

MS63BN

Tomorrow night, Aki get's his first Filet Mignon!
    Andy Lustig

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After a detour to NCS, NGC posted my grade today.

MS63BN

Tomorrow night, Aki get's his first Filet Mignon! >>

OMG, Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy moly! Way to go!

...and still no pix?
    Lance.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this older thread pop up . . . noticed it was out of date, then was hot to see PICS !! You cherried a 55DD ???? Holy COW!!! Any chance at all we could see this???

Drunner

(edited to fix the missing letters after I got the Word 'insert' set in the 'on' position !!)
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I have a comment and a question...

Congrats on a great find and... Do you have any other "really unsearched" lots you'd part with on the cheap??? image
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    WOW! cool story!
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Missed this the first time around. Had to check the date to make sure this wasn't an April 1 post or something. Congrats Andy, that's a great score and story!
  • mattnissmattniss Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    If you provide the cert. # we can view the images on NGC's cert. verification.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Andy.... That is a really great story with a super ending... Cheers, RickO
  • 1040taxman1040taxman Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    Way to go,Andy.
    But where are the pics???
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be a nice story because who hasn`t dreamed of finding a 1955/55 in change , but......

• << <i>Would be a nice story because who hasn`t dreamed of finding a 1955/55 in change , but......

image >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file