Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

bust half with triple edge lettering

Went to visit my daughter and family in Greenville ,NC and made my annual trip
to the local pawn/coin shop- Normally I collect half cents, but alas the half cents
were junk. I couldn't leave with cash burning a hole in my pocket so my attention
turned to the early halves. A nice 1830 caught my eye- crusty and probably would
pass as ex-fine 40 . I was so very slightly out of round so I looked at the edge for
damage - couldn't see damage but it has very clear TRIPLE edge lettering. That sold
me. Did I get something special or just have another old coin to pass down to
the grandkids ? Again the rim doesn't seem damaged- it doesn't look like a dropped
coin - could this flat spot have kept it from being properly lettered ?
palmer

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna have to show us pictures, you know. Love to see it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Apicture I hope- never did this before image
    palmer
  • Options
    this is the spot where the out of round area is -
    shows no damage
    palmer
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately interesting.What does the rest of the coin look like?
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    TDE (Triple Die Edge)?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!

-Paul
  • Options
    over lit but here is a quick pic I just snapped
    palmer
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.

Do you have a pic of the obverse and reverse?
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the obverse looks to good for that much wear
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    most of the reverse- sorry I cut it off
    palmer
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you weigh the coin?
  • Options
    no weight yet - It has the right look, feel and sound though- I have no
    reason to think it is not real - I will weight it on the pharmacy balance
    when I go back to work next week just to be sure
    palmer
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    looks like an O-107, seems pretty cool to me image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Cool, even without knowing more (Overton, weight, etc.)
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Looks more like a doubled edge error to me. It is hard to tell because of the two F's in FIFTY (makes it seem like there are more strikes than there are), but I can only see two N's for CENT. I have several examples of doubled edge letter errors and this looks like a nice one. It is even a good looking coin!

Completely doubled or tripled edge letter errors are scarce. Although there has never been an attempt to count how many examples are out there. One of the most interesting and rarer edge errors is the flipped over double struck. Where there is a complete FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR struck over and upside down to another complete FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR.

Another well-known and rare type is the "inverted letters" edge error. There are currently a dozen or so of these known and they are only found on the 1818 O-108 or "pinchers 8's" variety.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know how the edge lettering was struck...

The blank planchets were first run through a Castaing machine that upset the rims and applied the edge letters from two parallel bar dies, one stationary and one that moved. If a planchet was run though a second time by mistake, the letters would be struck again and you would have a doubled edge error. The other more common errors of overlapping letters and missing letters would happen when the machine was not reset to the proper spot and a planchet was cranked through with out a full rotation.

The "inverted letters" edge error happened when one of the bar dies was changed and installed upside down to the other die. This caused half the letters to face the obverse and the other half to face the reverse side. This mistake was quickly discovered and the die was reinstalled the proper way.

The frequent changing of the bar dies allowed Ivan Leaman & Donald Gunnet to develop a probable emission sequence for the series based on their study of the deteriorations of the dies used.

For the Bust Halves…the third side of the coin rules! image

When ever you want to sell it let me know!image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options

<< <i>Looks more like a doubled edge error to me. It is hard to tell because of the two F's in FIFTY (makes it seem like there are more strikes than there are), but I can only see two N's for CENT. >>

I see 3 "Y"s. I'd call it a triple.

Nice!
  • Options
    here is a little more uncluttered spot on the coin where you can clearly
    see 3 "D's" a letter that shouldn't repeat anyplace but in the word dollar.
    last night after driving home I couldn't keep my eyes focused long enough to follow the
    entire edge but this morning I can clearly see the tripling is consistent all the way
    around
    palmer
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it does look like at least a partial triple stuck edge. Are there 3 NT's? I could only see 2 in your picture.

Due to the nature of the castaing machine, partial doubling could be achieved by cranking the planchet backwards and back forwards.

Triple struck edge lettering is of course rarer than double struck, how rare we don't know. There are several examples that have sold at auction listed in Steve Herrman's AMBPR for Bust Half Dollars.

Regardless, it is a really image item!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    yes, there are 3 N's and T's ---they are both previous to the ones
    in the picture- the N is in the clear but the T is buried with an E.
    The first N is just before the 2nd and 3rd C's. As far as I can tell-
    it went through 3 complete revolutions right down to the 3 stars
    palmer
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    here's another shot Quarternut where you can clearly see all three N's
    at the same time - anybody have any idea what added value the
    triple edge letters could give it
    palmer
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love coins, 'eh?

Cooool for sure,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool
    Nice pics too
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok, the race is on for the first lettered edge overlay image i've ever seen!

it will take some real doing and panachery or finessery if you prefer!

if someone posts a nice edge image with lettering, i will do the second part.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Maybe someone with the latest Herman AMBPR guide can tell you if a similar error has sold recently (my copy is from Spring of 2012).

Sweet find!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice OLD thread! Never handled a triple-lettered CBH.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missed this one when originally posted.... (working out of state)... neat find, and

certainly rare... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GREAT Post rxer. Always nice to learn something new on this forum.

OINK
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really neat error.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discovery remains atop the list of cool.
  • Options

amazing these are hosted at pb this long!

kudos to the op.

an exceptional free solution is ftp hosting, or $1-5 monthly plans.

i just switched to a free plan and love ftp. my old host was increasing too much for what i use it for. $150+ a year is untenable but was gr8 service and features.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is an old thread, but here is another example of a tripled edge lettered CBH with a different triple orientation.

This one is an 1827.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edge lettering errors are interesting. Here is one of Russ Logan's that I bought, 1834 don't remember O#

The Russ Logan B&M auction catalog is the best study of these Logan DDOOLLLLAARR
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 O-116 Double edge Lettering Flip Over......
    C E N T S is over
    R A L L O D

photo IMG_1306_zpsuoyqqnqu.jpg
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely cool!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: habaraca

1834 O-116 Double edge Lettering Flip Over......

C E N T S is over

R A L L O D

pos A over pos B. wow

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that looks good from here. i hope it proves out for you. you going to send it in for grading? just wondering.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Bust Halves…the third side of the coin rules!

It might except for some of the old NGC graded coins where the edge can't be seen at all. It can be seen on some of the older PCGS holders. Years ago I found a rare edge lettering variety on a Confederation period piece in a PCGS holder. It looked like PCGS went out of its way to make the edge visible on that one.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    actually after posting this, a forum member made me an fair offer. While unusual,
    it didn't fit my collection- thought it deserved a better home with someone
    who appreciated it more.
    palmer
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    There is an 1811 with triple edge lettering on ebay now.
  • Options

OLD but neat thread. :+1:

show your doubled/tripled bust halve edge lettering!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file