Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about buying gold

I was curious, if someone wanted to buy pre-1933 US gold and pay somewhere roughly in between the APMEX buy/sell price for whatever the coin is, where would be a good place to look? I don't like ebay, so that's out.

Comments

• Options
    Where do you live? B&Ms are an excellent place to buy pre 33 gold at fair prices.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    First, I would join Heritage (an auction site and other things) and see what they have for offerings, this will get you kind of schooled on what types of things are available for sale, the grades and the kind of money you're talking about. Then I would do as Gecko stated, go to a brick and mortar coin shop and look around a little. You might want to get a raw $5 liberty in a grade you can afford and take it home with you in exchange for some gab with the owner, it won't cost too much. Next, I would look at the red book to get a feel for the types of coins that were minted, the relative production of these coins and then begin to decide what to do. Go to a show if you can find one nearby and cruise the pre '33 stuff and strike up a conversation but keep your little walleta in your pocketa.

In pre '33 there are some stunningly beautiful coins. The $10 indian series is one of the more spectacular but the $20 Saint is also a stunner as are all the earlies and the classic 5's...tons of meaty good stuff in these coins. There are some very cool coins from Dahlongia (D mm), and Charlotte (C mm) that are available in the Liberty series that are steeped in history and always good for a coin story for unsuspecting visitors. Then there's the "confiscate the gold" crowd that talks about when the gov confiscated all the private gold...yeah, nobody really turned in their gold or you wouldn't be looking at pre '33 but if you look at JPKinla's logo, you will see one of the real stunners in the pre '33 series. Oh, edited to add there are lots of cool O mint coins too with excellent history lessons behind them and they aren't too pricey for a branch mint coin...sometimes.

The advice is, you want to spend some time thinking about buying and looking at what you would like to have rather than just go out and start spreading your buks around. You can dump a fortune in these series or you can work your way in slowly and get some really neat coins that you truly appreciate and love. This series is for those that have a true love for American numismatics and it's not for flippers or players (well, kinda). If you buy in, expect to stay that way for many years selling this for that and getting a better one of these or some of those. It's kind of like wine, unless you appreciate the vintner and the locale and the weather for the year of the bottle and all the subtle little thingies, then, it's just fermented grape juice...expensive fermented grape juice.

The best of advice would be to seek out and find a mentor to get you started.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only gold specials

If you call, ask for Richard. Have dealt with him on a number of occassions.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy slabbed coins from reputable dealers.......I don't think you want to buy a raw coin and one day find out its fake.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.