Home Precious Metals
Options

quick pulse survey

Is $7400 a good deal for twenty 1/4 ounce gold eagles (random years)? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. A fair deal. About the going rate.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    slabbed decent ~ Raw a little high.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>slabbed decent ~ Raw a little high. >>

Does indifferent slabbing really matter?
    Last year I sold Gecko 20 misc. slabbed 1/4 Eagles, and the first thing he did was crack them out.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Common date slabbed MS69's have an absolute zero premium over raw.....basically its like the dealer is throwing in a fancy airtite for free.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Common date slabbed MS69's have an absolute zero premium over raw.....basically its like the dealer is throwing in a fancy airtite for free. >>

At some rediculously high spot price one has to be prepared for possible counterfeits. At that time certified will be better than not certified. I would always choose certified over non-certified if I was paying no more for it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Common date slabbed MS69's have an absolute zero premium over raw.....basically its like the dealer is throwing in a fancy airtite for free. >>

At some rediculously high spot price one has to be prepared for possible counterfeits. At that time certified will be better than not certified. I would always choose certified over non-certified if I was paying no more for it. >>

Exactly. The cert is worth keeping them in the slabs.
  • Options
    Yeah, because there is no such thing as a fake slab. image

If you need a GOLD eagle to be slabbed for you to confirm its authenticity, then I suggest that you have no business buying such coins in the first place. An old bust half? Ok. A foreign silver coin? Sure. An AGE? Really?

Edited to add further: If there were 100 gold eagle coins on a table, and 20 of them were counterfeit, and all were slabbed....I probably could not pick out all the fakes accurately. But if all 100 were raw, I guarantee I could sort the 20 fakes within 10 mins.