Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A general grading question

Hello Everyone

Since I am not an expert in the grading arena I was wondering how you all would grade a Lincoln penny given these parameters.

Obverse grades a F-12 and reverse grades VG-8. The difference could even be greater.

Would the overall coin grade a VG-8?

Ethically, I can not grade any higher than VG-8 but it seems a shame when the other side is a F-12 or better.

A little guidance and education would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cliff

RACC
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Comments

• Options
    Generally, the obverse is more important, grading-wise, than the reverse. However, if you will be selling the coin in question, why not state your honest opinion (of the split grade) as you have, here?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that the overall grade weigh should usually be about 60% for the obverse and 40% for the reverse. Does this sound about right to you guys?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The designs on the reverses of most US coins are busier with devices than the obverse designs. So the reverse tends to hide more in the way of imperfections. The obverse designs tend to have more open fields are the weakest link in the grading chain. So the obverse does tend to carry more grading weight than the reverse.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong. Are not the obverses on US coins struck with the hammer die imparting a higher relief then the reverse anvil die.
    This would be where the high points on the design are, therefore this side is given more weight in grading. There are a few exceptions where it was done in reverse to this, I think mercury dimes are one case.

Krueger
  • Options
    Cliff, what's the date and mint on that one, we may be able to be more specific.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Correct me if I am wrong. Are not the obverses on US coins struck with the hammer die imparting a higher relief then the reverse anvil die.
    This would be where the high points on the design are, therefore this side is given more weight in grading. There are a few exceptions where it was done in reverse to this, I think mercury dimes are one case.

Krueger >>

The obverse is generally the anvil, not the hammer. But I don't get how either yields a higher relief.
    Lance.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Is this an older Lincoln like teens-20s?

It might be one that had a really weak reverse die so what you see is not wear although on a circ it might get graded as if it was wear. The 60-40 sounds about right.

I've had older Lincolns with no wheat lines still get in the low MS grades. image
    Ed
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on grading, but I always saw truely split grade coins (circulated at least) as a bit of a rarity at more than one grade point - using choice grades as an intermediate scale (i.e I could see a 12/8, 30/20 or a 40/30 ... but not really a 30/12, 40/20 or 12/4 ... if that makes any sense)

Typically, if those coins are examined closer, some of it is (probably) striking annomlies

It seems then the grades get further split down (intermediates of intermediates), where a 20/12 becomes a 15, a 12/8 a 10, and similar

Based on your example, if the coin is really split that way, I might be tempted to either state the split grades, or call it a "VG 10, with claims to a full Fine but a weak reverse"

my humble opinion

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin is no better than its weakest side. There is no reason to be a generous grader when buying.

That said, just describe it accurately and see if a "live one" is willing to pay more than a VG8 price.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A coin is no better than its weakest side. There is no reason to be a generous grader when buying. >>

So, you would pay the same for an AU/XF coin as a XF/XF coin? Good luck with that---the marketplace doesn't see it that way.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Cliff, what's the date and mint on that one, we may be able to be more specific. >>

Most of the difficult coins for me are the Lincoln pennies from 1929 to 1909. I have a lot of really nice obverse coins some in the EF range but the reverse often has only half the wheat lines or even if the wheat lines are separated they are so flat that they look merged together. I tend to agree 291fifth and the others that state essentially the coin is graded to its weakest attribute. I will post a few pictures after I get the kids of to school.

Cliff
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends upon the date. Generally the obverse is the more important side with respect to grading, but the wheat ears are a grading point for the Fine grade; they should be complete.

The reason why I cite the date is that there are a number of date and mint mark combinations from the 1920s that were poorly struck from "tired dies." In those cases some allowances can be made if the surfaces appear to be the higher the grade.

I know it's against the current rules, but the old ANACS (when it was owned by the ANA) practice showing split grades does have validity in some cases.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Generally, the obverse is more important, grading-wise, than the reverse. However, if you will be selling the coin in question, why not state your honest opinion (of the split grade) as you have, here? >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file