Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pop 1 for sale

derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
- Nick Giambruno
Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

Comments

• Options
    That's asking alot of money. Are you trying to advertise on the wrong forum or are you trying to raise conversation?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options

<< <i>That's asking alot of money. Are you trying to advertise on the wrong forum or are you trying to raise conversation? >>

As stated in the OP I'm discussing a Pop 1 coin being sold by a fellow forum member. Please direct me to the forum where we discuss other people's coins.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop 1 or not Way to much money for a modern piece IMHO
    Way Way Way tooooooo Much .......Again IMHO
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a best offer on the coin.

The price guide editor recently asked me for an opinion on what to price this coin at in the Price Guide (there is a "-" right now).

I believe I told him my opinion was $20,000, especially because when a board member had the pop 1 $5 99-W coin a number of years ago it was priced at $10,000. That coin later became pop 17, but is still roughly a $5,500 coin today (Price Guide shows $8,000 today but a coin is going unsold at $5,900 out there right now so that $8,000 level probably needs to be dropped a bit IMHO). Also, there is nothing wrong with prices rising in the price guide rather than dropping (i.e. this coin could certainly move up from the $20,000 range if it stayed pop 1 for a while). Another factor for the pricing of this coin IMHO is just how "solid" for the grade it is. A "lower end 70" might justify a $15,000 level while a "monster 70" might justify $25,000+. I can also see why the editor might be comfortable leaving the "-" for now while the coin is being marketed. Assuming Julian has had firm offers from respectable sources above $20,000 for the coin, that might also influence my opinion as to value.

All in all ... a very neat modern coin. Don't you just love it when these highly esteemed classic coin dealers market the ultra modern coins!! Warms the heart of us modern coin fans!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I realize that a seller has the right to ask whatever he wants for his merchandise. But pop 1 or not, shame on Julian.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a pop 1 pattern I have been trying to help someone price. Pop one coins are tough. The one in this thread means nothing to me, just a modern.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sellers can ask whatever they want for their merchandise.
    No one is obligated to agree with them, though.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I realize that a seller has the right to ask whatever he wants for his merchandise. But pop 1 or not, shame on Julian. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop 1 modern stuff can quickly become Pop 20 with a loss of thousands of dollars. Top pop moderns are just too risky.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I realize that a seller has the right to ask whatever he wants for his merchandise. But pop 1 or not, shame on Julian. >>

You brought me out, Mark, as I was not going to comment. However, when you shame me........

I honestly do not have any real way to evaluate this coin, but have been told that other Pop 1's in 70 gold eagles have brought 50k+. This is just going on hearsay, as I did not witness any of the sales.

This coin is the rarest of the entire Eagle series, and therefore I believe the most important. I just put a price on the coin, obviously with a Make an Offer. I have not received any acceptable offers. I am actually thinking of consigning it for auction sale.

The coin is almost 12 years old now & most of these have been encapsulated. This coin was encapsulated 8/10.

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>

You brought me out, Mark, as I was not going to comment. However, when you shame me........

I honestly do not have any real way to evaluate this coin, but have been told that other Pop 1's in 70 gold eagles have brought 50k+. This is just going on hearsay, as I did not witness any of the sales.

This coin is the rarest of the entire Eagle series, and therefore I believe the most important. I just put a price on the coin, obviously with a Make an Offer. I have not received any acceptable offers. I am actually thinking of consigning it for auction sale.

The coin is almost 12 years old now & most of these have been encapsulated. This coin was encapsulated 8/10. >>

Julian, I probably would have sent you a link to the thread if you didn't make an appearance, anyway.
    Public auction is likely an excellent way to determine fair market value and get rid of that bullion, while it is still near an all time high (unadjusted for inflation, of course). image
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    My mother told me when I was young" " If you have nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut "
    I will implement that rule at this moment.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Everybody has a right to ask whatever they want to for their coins.

If it doesn't sell, it hurts no one except the seller.

IMHO

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    "other Pop 1's in 70 gold eagles have brought 50k+."

Actually, I believe a single proof gold eagle sold for about $37,000 a number of years ago in a "bidding war" best I can tell as I believe the coin was reserved around $12,000 or so (now worth about $4,500 today). I am not aware of any gold eagle pop 1 coins (or otherwise) that sold for more than that amount.

"Rumor has it" that the pop 1 1995-W SILVER Eagle sold for more than $50k the last time it changed hands. But, the coin is now pop 2 and in the Price Guide around $30,000 as I recall.

Good luck Julian with the sale!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Everybody has a right to ask whatever they want to for their coins.

IMHO

~ >>

That's exactly the point, which is why I was astonished to see this thread.

• Options
    MisterBungle - Forget about this coin for a moment. Generally speaking, in some cases though, might an entirely uneducated (new to the hobby) buyer simply assume (obviously to his detriment) that a knowledgeable and respected seller is asking a "fair" price for a coin when an asking price is listed? This is sort of the explanation I am getting as to why "hidden reserves" might become a thing of the past for most numismatic major auction houses (of course Heritage did away with them a number of years ago already).

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Everybody has a right to ask whatever they want to for their coins.

IMHO

~ >>

That's exactly the point, which is why I was astonished to see this thread. >>

Purpose of the post was the coin, not the price. My apologies to Julian for any problem I created in discussing his coin. That was not my intention.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe at the present time, there is no Ebay fee for listing a coin.

So why not list a coin for moon money?

He does have a 'make an offer' option.

I do agree however, that these modern 'ms70' coins are not the best investment around (and that's saying it nicely).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>I believe at the present time, there is no Ebay fee for listing a coin.

I do agree however, that these modern 'ms70' coins are not the best investment around (and that's saying it nicely). >>

Sure, and if a buyer offers 80% of the listed price and the seller accepts it, all is good right? Maybe not.

Edited to add: To be fair, anyone who cares to say the same (or worse) about any coin I ever offer for sale is free to do so.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe at the present time, there is no Ebay fee for listing a coin.

I do agree however, that these modern 'ms70' coins are not the best investment around (and that's saying it nicely). >>

Had TPGs been around at the turn of the century, what do you think a bullion 1908 S Saint in MS70 would be worth today?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>MisterBungle - Forget about this coin for a moment. Generally speaking, in some cases though, might an entirely uneducated (new to the hobby) buyer simply assume (obviously to his detriment) that a knowledgeable and respected seller is asking a "fair" price for a coin when an asking price is listed? This is sort of the explanation I am getting as to why "hidden reserves" might become a thing of the past for most numismatic major auction houses (of course Heritage did away with them a number of years ago already).

Wondercoin >>

It is VERY unlikely that that 'coin' will sell for anywhere near the suggested price (or even 20% of it). Nonetheless, I did find that ebay listing rather interesting. There are aspects of the coin business that I evidently still do not understand.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a pop 1 pattern I have been trying to help someone price. Pop one coins are tough. The one in this thread means nothing to me, just a modern. >>

image Just a modern proof...With a twist..
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Can't wait to see/hear what it goes for. When I list my $100,000 coins on Ebay I usually add a few more pictures. image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Okay, forgetting about this coin for a moment. There are dealers
    (and collectors) all over, who overprice their coins. Even low end
    coins from someone like Littleton are overpriced in my opinion.

But as long as the condition of the coin is accurately described,
    the seller has the right to charge whatever the market will pay.

I don't see why someone would pay hundreds, and maybe
    thousands, for an 1881-S Morgan dollar in MS64 just because
    it has some color to it, when a white one would be sixty bucks,
    but it happens, and I don't fault the seller.

But back to Julian's coin. If you're going to pay tens of
    thousands of dollars for a coin, you're going to have some
    idea of it worth to you. We're not talking about some guy
    who's never owned a coin being a buyer for this one.

If the coin doesn't sell, it hurts no one. If it does sell then
    someone else thinks the coin is worth that much money.

It's all about free market.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    I don't love it when respected dealers market modern bullion coins. Why not price it at $149,000?

Lucanus
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    there has been ten offers (as i type)
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [duh]This is unlikely to be the only 70, when it's all over.[/duh]
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have this guys email address to send a link?

Opulence: I Has It

• Options
    The zeal of Registry collectors never ceases to amaze me. Sure, it's nice to have the "best," but that's a moving target. I can't imagine anyone actually paying so much extra for a coin that looks exactly the same, except for a number on a piece of paper. This one cost me $1000 last summer, when the Pop was 805/0.

So now there is one MS70? Will that never change? How will its eventual buyer feel, once that happens?

FWIW, another MS69 sold for $1436 three weeks ago (eBay #250751443068)
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern bashers love to ruminate about how wonderful their own coins are, in spite of the fact that 100 years ago those very coins were Moderns.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Modern bashers love to ruminate about how wonderful their own coins are, in spite of the fact that 100 years ago those very coins were Moderns. >>

Indeed, they were. But they weren't selling at premiums which even begin to approach those which many "modern bashers" take issue with. Likewise, for the same reasonso many of the "modern bashers" are critical of some of the color premiums that classic coins bring.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, they were. But they weren't selling at premiums which even begin to approach those which many "modern bashers" take issue with. Likewise, for the same reasonso many of the "modern bashers" are critical of some of the color premiums that classic coins bring.

All true enough. However, the coin hasn't sold yet, so the premium has yet to be established. And, I venture to say that someone such as myself could go all day long making disparaging and unseemly comments about what many "classic" coin collectors pay premiums in order to own, but I don't.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Indeed, they were. But they weren't selling at premiums which even begin to approach those which many "modern bashers" take issue with. Likewise, for the same reasonso many of the "modern bashers" are critical of some of the color premiums that classic coins bring.

All true enough. However, the coin hasn't sold yet, so the premium has yet to be established. And, I venture to say that someone such as myself could go all day long making disparaging and unseemly comments about what many "classic" coin collectors pay premiums in order to own, but I don't. >>

Fair enough. While I won't speak for others, my own comments about the listing weren't based on it being a modern coin. I would have said the same about a low pop classic coin. Still, your way is admittedly more polite than mine.
  • Options

<< <i>Modern bashers love to ruminate about how wonderful their own coins are, in spite of the fact that 100 years ago those very coins were Moderns. >>

100 years ago, coins in collections were stored in open trays ('coin cabinets'), paper envelopes, or cloth pouches, and were subject to much more handling than is typical today.
    Due to modern mint-making procedures and equipment, coins are exiting the U. S. mints more sharply struck and with far fewer marks (on average). Who wants moderns graded
    MS/PR 65-66?

One hundred years from now, today's moderns will be far more available in superb+ grades than coins made in 1910 can be found in MS65-66 today.

• Options
    "One hundred years from now, today's moderns will be far more available in superb+ grades than coins made in 1910 can be found in MS65-66 today."

Well, yes and no. For example, there are 60,000 MS65 and better graded 1881-S Morgans graded at PCGS alone right now. There are roughly a scant (5,100) 2008-W $10 Proof Platinum Eagles in the universe in ANY grade. Even if close to half of these are perfect "70" grade, that means they are still 20x scarcer than that gem morgan (and about as scarce of an MS67 specimen). Yet, they sell for a fraction of the price. Just one of myriad examples of low mintage moderns that have an amazing future ahead of them. For an in depth review of many of the great (future) moderns, just pick up a copy of Eric Jordan's book from last year.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Kudos to Julian, let him take out a Modern Maven, as long as he passes the savings on to us classic guys!! (just kidding, you know I am, really:Funnyimage---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i> One hundred years from now, today's moderns will be far more available in superb+ grades than coins made in 1910 can be found in MS65-66 today. >>

Just the fact that "coins of today" are not used like "coins of yesterday" makes your statement true, in 1910 how many credit card transaction were completed on a dailly average? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Julian, I probably would have sent you a link to the thread if you didn't make an appearance, anyway.
    Public auction is likely an excellent way to determine fair market value and get rid of that bullion, while it is still near an all time high (unadjusted for inflation, of course). image >>

HUH?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what's the world coming to when one respected dealer bashes another on a public forum like this??
  • Options
    Julian's reaching on that one. I doubt the PCGS one is worth 10x the NGC & ANACS ones (even those seem ridiculous).

Except for flipping-coins' ICG 70 these are ALL Julian's
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what's the world coming to when one respected dealer bashes another on a public forum like this?? >>

how drab and lonely the threads would be if we were courteous and well mannered all the time!! image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, yes and no. For example, there are 60,000 MS65 and better graded 1881-S Morgans graded at PCGS alone right now. There are roughly a scant (5,100) 2008-W $10 Proof Platinum Eagles in the universe in ANY grade. Even if close to half of these are perfect "70" grade, that means they are still 20x scarcer than that gem morgan (and about as scarce of an MS67 specimen). Yet, they sell for a fraction of the price. Just one of myriad examples of low mintage moderns that have an amazing future ahead of them. For an in depth review of many of the great (future) moderns, just pick up a copy of Eric Jordan's book from last year.

The demand difference between a gem Morgan and proof $10 plat is probably many multiples of 20x. While Morgans are a bread and butter collectible owned by a fairly large percentage of all collectors, the platinum coin is still more on the fringe. I could offer up a comparison to classic half dollar commems from 1918-1954. Individual Texas, Oregon, Boone, Arkansas, Columbia, BTW's, and GWC's commems have mintages under 10,000 each. They are all "rarities" whose price basically peaked in 1989. I won't disagree that the potential is there for the proof $10 plats even if they could be forever restrained by "smallcoinitis." Certainly then the potential for 10,000 mintage classic commems is still "great" as well even if they've been a major disappointment for the past 20 yrs. (other than the <1% that qualify as top pops or monster toners). If there were 10,000 classic commem collectors building gem sets then they would be under great demand. Obviously there aren't anywhere near close to 10,000 gem set collectors for classic commems. Conjuring up 5,000 collectors for a $10 plat set could be equally as difficult. By using that same logic the lower mintage proof gold eagles (1/4 to 1 oz) with mintages generally under 10,000 should become great collectibles as well. But there is probably a better chance they will just become a hunk of precious metal as the price of gold continues to mulitply.

There are already too many mint made rarities for most collectors to ever be able to assemble. And with each passing year that task grows ever greater as the mint continues to pump out every new design imagineable. The mint has wised up and realizes that making 10 designs at 30,000 copies each is far more lucrative than a single one at 300,000. The latter may never sell out while the former are all instant rarities. I'm going to wait for the 10 coin set of the largest U.S. fast food franchises. After all they are a major part of American Culture getting far more visistors per year than any state park. I have many happy memories from visiting each of them. And you could probably get those franchises to underwrite the mint's startup costs.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Indeed, they were. But they weren't selling at premiums which even begin to approach those which many "modern bashers" take issue with. Likewise, for the same reasonso many of the "modern bashers" are critical of some of the color premiums that classic coins bring. >>

Indeed they weren't. But neigher were 100 yr old coins either. So classic dealers should be ashamed for the prices they are asking now compared to 100 years ago. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that POP-1 is worth $99,995, what is this POP-1 worth? This 1838-D half eagle is tied with another MS-63 as the highest graded pieces for that issue. I own this coin, and I can tell you that I paid a good deal less than that asking price.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    The coin linked by the OP seems an excellent candidate for consignment to auction (as fast as possible, before someone makes another one).
  • Options
    RR - Always enjoyable to see you posting on these types of discussions. A couple things...

1. I could have just as easily used the 2008-W $25 Mint State Platinum with a mintage of less than 3,000 as my example and we would have no "smallness" issue to talk about. And, we might just find 3,000 people that care in the next 25 years (as opposed to the 5,000 figure that concerns you)!

2. Are there really 3,000 serious collectors out there for the MS67 1881-S Morgan in my comparison either after all these years (PCGS and NGC coins combined)? Honestly, how many serious Morgan dollar collectors exist today that want to pay the price for an 1881-S MS67 Morgan?

3. Your argument concerning all the super low mintage modern coins of the past few years (i.e. too many rarities already with more to come) ... couldn't you have made the same argument in 1936 and cautioned us against buying the proof set coming out that year with the mintage the Mint announced? For that matter, think of all of the low mintage proof coins coming out of the mint during all of the Barber years (and earlier). Your caution would have been just as appropriate for many of those coins back then as it is now with these great low mintage moderns - no?

Wondercoin

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Well it's a good thing the grading scale ends at 70 or we could have a modern 1/4 oz. bullion coin perhaps surpassing the value of The King of Siam Proof Set image
  • Options

<< <i>what's the world coming to when one respected dealer bashes another on a public forum like this?? >>

I consider Mark a friend and do not take his comments as bashing.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>If that POP-1 is worth $99,995, what is this POP-1 worth? This 1838-D half eagle is tied with another MS-63 as the highest graded pieces for that issue. I own this coin, and I can tell you that I paid a good deal less than that asking price.

imageimage >>

By definition, Bill, your coin is actually Pop 2 if it is tied with another. Your coin is almost certainly rarer than the subject coin, but it is not the "ultimate" grade. It is highly unlikely that the ultimate grade will ever turn up for the 38-d, but there is a possibility that a higher grade coin may be encapsulated.

I don't think that there are as many collectors trying to complete a classic half eagle set in this grade, but there are many that are working on the modern gold eagle collections. It is all about supply and demand.

Yours is certainly a time tested classic. The subject coin is not.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>

I consider Mark a friend and do not take his comments as bashing. >>

Thank you, Julian, I am glad to hear that. And had you considered it bashing, I would have gladly apologized.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file