Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should the $2 bill be replaced with a $2 coin? Or Just Never Printed Again?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
If they can make a $1 coin cheaper, then why not do the same for a $2 coin.

Or just promise never to print them again.
(I imagine they may be in the law. Perhaps the law could be changed?)
Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    On a somewhat related note.....every time I go to the airport in Taiwan and buy something with dollars I always get brand spanking new $2 bills as change.

They darn sure don't circulate much in the US o A.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    The $2 bill is the most beautiful currency in circulation right now - it is always special for me when I get one in change
    MT
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    What they should do is not print $2 bills because they aren't needed.

Stop printing $1 bills and create a shortage of them.

All of a sudden people would want those $1 coins and they'd save money by:
    Not printing dollars.
    Making use of all those dollar coins that they already made.
    Emptying out warehouses of SBA and golden dollars. (they've stored some of these since the 70s!!!)
    Added: They wouldn't need to pay free shipping to unload those dollar coins either.

Ed
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    All they need to do to have $1 coins circulate is stop printing the dollar bill. Look to Canada. It worked there, and $2 coins work just as well. Just stop the damn printers!
  • Options

<< <i>The $2 bill is the most beautiful currency in circulation right now - it is always special for me when I get one in change >>

I agree.

But I believe the $1--and maybe the $2 notes have outlived their stay. Replacing them with coins makes sense to me on a lot of levels.

And cents and nickels should be out too. Keep the denominations around but round when using hard cash. Basically we need a coinage modernization act. No more silliness where the half-dollar is larger than the dollar, etc. etc. I quite like the British coinage. You can tell the denomination of nearly every coin just by feeling it in your pocket.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like em....but a 2$ coin would be cool too...
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the $1 note will need to go, too, or at least first.

i like the loonies and toonies in Canada

• Options

<< <i>The $2 bill is the most beautiful currency in circulation right now - it is always special for me when I get one in change >>

The $2 is too cool to discontinue : ) I keep any i get , oddly the ones i usually get are in change from coin dealers , they seem to like giving quirky change , pretty cool.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The $2.oo bill is just a waste of money to print. When is the last time you got one in change? Do away with both the one and 2 dollar bills and the one dollar coin will circulate.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    They should just move the decimal over one place on all our coins.

And keep the $2's. At least they buy part of something.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stop printing the $1 bill, let the $2 takeover the work. There should be enough dollar coins for quite a while.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All they need to do to have $1 coins circulate is stop printing the dollar bill. Look to Canada. It worked there, and $2 coins work just as well. Just stop the damn printers! >>

Bingo!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two dollar bill has never been popular except at racetracks where it facilitated making $2 bets. Printing it is a waste of time and government money. Some people even think that “the deuce” brings bad luck.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>On a somewhat related note.....every time I go to the airport in Taiwan and buy something with dollars I always get brand spanking new $2 bills as change.

They darn sure don't circulate much in the US o A.

John >>

Because they are "Made in Taiwan"! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

I love the Canadian and Australian $2 coins. They make spending money fun!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    At the very least, get rid of the cent and the dollar bill.......
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one have not seen a two dollar bill in over ten years in circulation, so I see no need for them.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the last year that the BEP printed a $2 bill? It's a moot issue since they are printed so infrequently.

FYI the last time the BEP printed a $2 bill was in Oct 2003....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    We should dump the single. That would force the use of the dollar coins and twos which would save a ton of money.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We should dump the single. That would force the use of the dollar coins and twos which would save a ton of money. >>

and start using the several billion $1 coins held in storage all over the country.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What was the last year that the BEP printed a $2 bill? It's a moot issue since they are printed so infrequently.

FYI the last time the BEP printed a $2 bill was in Oct 2003.... >>

September 2006

185,600,000 notes.

IMO, if the Government eliminates the $1.00 bill, they should also eliminate the $2.00 bill but keep the cent and nickel.

While I was in the United Kingdom, there were no 1 pound or 2 pound notes to which nobody complained and shops and stores regularly gave change in 2 pound and 1 pound coins without batting an eye.

The variety of coinage was also very interesting in that multiple designs of the same coin were readily available which IMO would make a very interesting collection or collecting goal.

Too many of us Americans can be quite snooty with regard to changing currency and coins when the reality of the situation is that it does not really matter. Most folks will accept whatever the government authorizes as legal tender since the goal is not to please collectors but provide a means for purchasing the goods we need on a daily basis.

Once a conversion is decided upon, there will be lots and lots of whining by the conspiracy theorists but IMO that would die off after a couple of years.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file