Home U.S. Coin Forum

Tell me if this is a good coin trade

mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all, there is a local person that has a 1908 no motto Saint Gaudens coin that is NGC MS63. He said he would trade it for 10 1/10th oz American Gold Eagles............can anyone tell me if its a good trade?

Thank you!
Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned...both are bullion products. Having said that...I'd pass.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd do that any day of the week.

But it could make a difference when you bought the 1/10 ouncers.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd do that any day of the week.

But it could make a difference when you bought the 1/10 ouncers. >>

His cost in them should be irrelevant in determining whether it is a good trade or not. He should be concerned with the value and desirability of what he is trading, as compared to the value and desirability of what he would be receiving. Currently the Saint would probably cost in the $1450-$1500 range. What is the current cost of the 1/10 ounce coins?

Edited to add: Make sure the Saint is the real thing.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Coinguy, that was one reason I have not done the trade yet...........I don't want to buy a fake Saint in a fake slab. Does anyone know how I can tell a fake from a real?

Would anyone else here do the the trade?

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's always good to ask yourself... why does the other guy want to do the trade?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• << <i>Coinguy, that was one reason I have not done the trade yet...........I don't want to buy a fake Saint in a fake slab. Does anyone know how I can tell a fake from a real?

Would anyone else here do the the trade? >>

I probably would , but only after having the St checked out as i'd have that same concern.

<< <i>Coinguy, that was one reason I have not done the trade yet...........I don't want to buy a fake Saint in a fake slab. Does anyone know how I can tell a fake from a real?

Would anyone else here do the the trade? >>

How did you come into contact with the other person?
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

His cost in them should be irrelevant in determining whether it is a good trade or not. He should be concerned with the value and desirability of what he is trading, as compared to the value and desirability of what he would be receiving. Currently the Saint would probably cost in the $1450-$1500 range. What is the current cost of the 1/10 ounce coins?

Edited to add: Make sure the Saint is the real thing. >>

Current cost for 10 .. 2010 ... 1/10th oz AGE is $1550 - $1600 range
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Well the explanation I have received from the person is that he wants to get rid of the coin and other graded coins he has and just get gold eagles.

Coinguy, this person has a ad on Craigslist. He put a list of graded coins he has like pcgs 2008 buffalo sets and other graded modern bullion in MS70 or pr70 and wants to trade them for gold eagles. The saint is the only old coin he basically has.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Edited to add: Make sure the Saint is the real thing. >>

Current cost for 10 .. 2010 ... 1/10th oz AGE is $1550 - $1600 range >>

Thanks. If that is the case, I wouldn't trade them for the Saint.
  • Ooops... on the mention of craigslist i'd be keeping my ounce of gold.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep your Eagles and run if it's Craig list there is just too muck chance your going to end up with stolen goods.

• << <i>Keep your Eagles and run if it's Craig list there is just too muck chance your going to end up with stolen goods. >>

Too many reported incidents like the guy selling a gold ring , the buyer showed up with a firearm.

<< <i>Keep your Eagles and run if it's Craig list there is just too muck chance your going to end up with stolen goods. >>

Based on what OPA said the 1/10 pieces go for, it wouldn't be a good trade, anyway.
    thanks all! I won't be doing the trade.

• BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks all! I won't be doing the trade. >>

:

ThumbsUp;

Good decision!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10% more gold in the AGE's. $5 AGEs each have a higher premium than other size AGEs. Saint is a common year at a common grade. Keep the fractional eagles. I might do it for eight of the AGEs.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭
    Our Police Chief was held up at gunpoint trying to buy a laptop off of Craigslist. Keep your fractional gold. Easier to sell if(when) the SHTF
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    If it's craigslist there is a big chance he has no gold gold and its a scam.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it's craigslist there is a big chance he has no gold gold and its a scam. >>

Might have the gold:

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    RUN FORREST RUN!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    keep the 1/10 ozers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file