Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interview with Daniel Carr

For anyone who is interested, I had the pleasure of interviewing Daniel Carr. Yes, nothing was asked about the 1964 Peace Dollars, and this was done intentionally. You can read it at the Numismatic Hub.

Daniel Carr Interview

Comments

• << <i>For anyone who is interested, I had the pleasure of interviewing Daniel Carr. Yes, nothing was asked about the 1964 Peace Dollars, and this was done intentionally. You can read it at the Numismatic Hub.

Daniel Carr Interview >>

Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

But that's just me.

• << <i>

<< <i>For anyone who is interested, I had the pleasure of interviewing Daniel Carr. Yes, nothing was asked about the 1964 Peace Dollars, and this was done intentionally. You can read it at the Numismatic Hub.

Daniel Carr Interview >>

Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

But that's just me. >>

Due to responses to such threads here on the board, I decided it was best to keep that subject out of the interview, especially since that wasn't the point of the interview.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

But that's just me. >>

If Daniel were counterfeiting coins, he would be in jail already or out on bail, awaiting trail for such charges. Obviously, the Federal Government takes counterfeiting very seriously and since the Moonlight Mint website is out there for everyone to see, it wouldn't take long for the authorities to come knocking if indeed that was the case.
    You are well entitled to your opinion, but I would ask that you choose your words more wisely. Daniel took measures to insure that these coins would be identifiable as the fantasy pieces that they are - not that you would need to since NONE of the real coins are known to exist, and I think if one did it would have surfaced by now - 47 years later.
    I for one, feel lucky to have someone with Daniels experience and insight among us. How many other CU members are there here that have actually designed a circulating US coin?
    If you don't like Daniel or his art work (which is what it is) thats perfectly fine, but please don't insult the man with slanderous insults.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

But that's just me. >>

If Daniel were counterfeiting coins, he would be in jail already or out on bail, awaiting trail for such charges. Obviously, the Federal Government takes counterfeiting very seriously and since the Moonlight Mint website is out there for everyone to see, it wouldn't take long for the authorities to come knocking if indeed that was the case.
    You are well entitled to your opinion, but I would ask that you choose your words more wisely. Daniel took measures to insure that these coins would be identifiable as the fantasy pieces that they are - not that you would need to since NONE of the real coins are known to exist, and I think if one did it would have surfaced by now - 47 years later.
    I for one, feel lucky to have someone with Daniels experience and insight among us. How many other CU members are there here that have actually designed a circulating US coin?
    If you don't like Daniel or his art work (which is what it is) thats perfectly fine, but please don't insult the man with slanderous insults. >>

100%

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

If you don't like Daniel or his art work (which is what it is) thats perfectly fine, but please don't insult the man with slanderous insults. >>

100% >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

Well put!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

Just wanted to see what 3 agree's look likeimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Anyone who actually takes the time to read the article cannot fail to be impressed by Daniel Carr's work, and the author's questions. It would be nice if the mudslingers could give it a rest in one Topic, at least.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

Just wanted to see what 3 agree's look likeimage >>

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

image >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

image >>

image >>

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like an agree-gous overuse of that icon! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
    By the way, laxmaster92, very good interview! I enjoyed the read.
    Your site says "A Young Numismatist View on Numismatics". How old are you?
    Dwayne Sessom

• << <i>

But that's just me. >>

My words were, and are, chosen carefully.

So you're saying you support a counterfeiter/alterer?

Thank you. The record is quite clear.

<< <i>So you're saying you support a counterfeiter/alterer? >>

No. We support Dan Carr. You need to start paying attention.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>image

Seems like an agree-gous overuse of that icon! image >>

image His coins have re-awoken my interest in the whole Peace series. I dusted off the ones I have and have started looking to buy more on Ebay.

• << <i>By the way, laxmaster92, very good interview! I enjoyed the read.
    Your site says "A Young Numismatist View on Numismatics". How old are you? >>

Just turned 18, but the site was started when I was 16

<< <i>My words were, and are, chosen carefully.

So you're saying you support a counterfeiter/alterer?

Thank you. The record is quite clear. >>

I was mentioning, as politely as I possibly could, that you might not want so blantantly accuse Daniel Carr of a serious Federal crime.

Lets look at it from a purely legal perspective. Daniel Carr created a piece that is an overstruck fantasy coin, marketed as such and marked with a die gouge to the right of the "D" mint mark providing a marker for future identification as to the source - also clearly and freely releasing that information. In fact, there are legal disclaimers all over the order page and site. Daniel Carr clearly did his legal homework before even considering creating the piece. Counterfeiters do what they do for monetary gain, using deceit to present the counterfeit as genuine. Lets not forget that to counterfeit something, there must be genuine examples, otherwise you cannot pass off the fake for the real thing.
    So from a legal perspective, Daniel Carr has done nothing wrong. In fact, he has done far more than he would legally have to market the fantasy coins.

You on the other had are flatly accusing him of counterfeiting, a Federal class C felony, punishable by up to 12 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $250,000.
    Your flat out accusation on this public forum is defamation of character, more specifically; Libel which could put you into a very actionable situation, which is precisely why I mentioned that you should chose your words more wisely. I wasn't just saying that as a matter of pure opinion. There are also a fair number of attourneys posting on this board who are also collectors who might be a Daniel Carr fans.

I was really trying to help YOU not get into a bad situation. I wasn't trying to offend you sir.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<

<<

<<

<<

<<

<<

<< Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

Just wanted to see what 3 agree's look like >>

image>>

i'll see that and raise you two agree's!!image

<< <i>

<< <i>By the way, laxmaster92, very good interview! I enjoyed the read.

Just turned 18, but the site was started when I was 16 >>

Wow! Great job on the site! I apologize that your thread got derailed.
    Dwayne Sessom

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>By the way, laxmaster92, very good interview! I enjoyed the read.

Just turned 18, but the site was started when I was 16 >>

Wow! Great job on the site! I apologize that your thread got derailed. >>

image nice job, for some reason your top link would not work for me. The bottom link led me to the story.
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭
    It's long overdue for him to have his own forum, on his own site.
  • The link to the interview is now fixed.
  • << Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

Apparently this feller with 46 posts don't like the 1964-D D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars .........
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting read and a nice presentation laxmaster92 image

thanks for an insightful read, and please keep us posted on other writings you have image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

• << <i><< Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

image>>

image >>

image 100% from me, too.
  • laxmaster, nice interview. You did a great job.

This might have been one of the most agreeable threads I have ever read here on the Forum.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

<< <i><< Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

Apparently this feller with 46 posts don't like the 1964-D D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars ......... >>

Could he be an alternate I.D. of one of the Dan Carr haters? He seems to be unusually out spoken for a new forum member.image

• << <i>

<< <i><< Hmmm! Seems to me the counerfeited 64 Peace Dollars would be the center of any interview with him.

Apparently this feller with 46 posts don't like the 1964-D D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars ......... >>

Could he be an alternate I.D. of one of the Dan Carr haters? He seems to be unusually out spoken for a new forum member.image >>

So you're saying because I'm new to this forum I shouldn't be able to express my opinion so soon.

Funny, I saw nothing in the forum rules anywhere I had to be a member for a minimum amount of time to give my opinion.

WARNING TO ALL NEW MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM!!!!

Don't express your opinion because Perry Hall will tell you it's not allowed.

Uhmm BTW, got hallucinations?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    thanks for doing the interview laxmaster92

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Excellent interview and very neat itens from Mr Carr. image
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

image>>

image >>

image 100% from me, too. >>

image 110%

Certainly, the piece would have been a great topic of discussion (personally, I would have liked to see that posed to him and get his views, but we know most of them). But it wasn't asked/discussed...regardless, the interview was done very well, and the lack of the question did not detract from the interview one bloody bit! I, like dsessom stated, enjoyed the read very much!

laxmaster, I'm a younger guy out here (though a few years older than you, but not eligble for YN status...damn, am I NOT a young guy now??? lol), and I love seeing the 'next generation' know as much as you do. You've obviously done your homework and should you stick with it, you could very well get as far as you want in this hobby, which can't be said for alot of us, regardless of our ages. The website is GREAT, and I've bookmarked it (I wish I had known about it before now...I'm sure I missed it's mention numerous times, and that's my loss)....you've done a GREAT job with the site!!

I got involved in the hobby late, later in life than most....I didn't start as, as Joe Pesci says, a 'ute'. laxmaster, YOU (as well as a few others here...notlogical, for one, just off the top of my head...my apologies to you others, but everyone knows who they are) are what the next generation is (or, should be) all about...intelligent, knowledgeable, and willing to get out there and 'get your hands dirty', so to speak. I applaud you for your hard work, and seeing YN's do what you are doing, really makes me wish I could jump in the DeLorean and go back and do it right....that I had gotten involved earlier on, did my homework (as extensively, and as seriously as you obviously have), etc. Had I started earlier, I might have half the numismatic knowledge you do (as well as a more focused, nicer collection, and a smarter/better collector in general). Props to you, man!!

Keep up the good work,laxmaster!!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it simple. No need for hard feelings here
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I dont give a hoot either way, wont buy a 64 Peace and dont give a flying F about them, but D Carr, do as you do and keep on doing it
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08

• << <i>interesting read and a nice presentation laxmaster92 image

thanks for an insightful read, and please keep us posted on other writings you have image >>

In the coming weeks we are going to have more interviews with some of the leading dealers and numismatists in the hobby.
    You can also check out our interviews with Mark Feld and Fred Weinberg here-Previous Interviews
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

100% >>

image >>

image>>

image >>

image 100% from me, too. >>

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But that's just me. >>

... Daniel took measures to insure that these coins would be identifiable as the fantasy pieces that they are - not that you would need to since NONE of the real coins are known to exist, and I think if one did it would have surfaced by now - 47 years later....
    >>

Point of order.......the 1870-S Half Dime took about 110 years to surface. Of course, nobody was looking for it.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • So what happens if a 1964 suddenly turns up in another couple of decades, with Mr.Carr's design and all
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what happens if a 1964 suddenly turns up in another couple of decades, with Mr.Carr's design and all >>

Are you talking about a genuine 1964-D, or one of Mr. Carr's 1964-D's? Please clarify the question.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ........please , like Paul said , "Let it Be"

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my 5-coin type set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file