Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hockey Pucks have no support

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
this is just my own take on it.... other than greed factor, someone buying it for $1,100 and reselling it higher... I have not seen much collector interest in them at any shows....

IMHO they are ugly and I notice some of the dealers who bought at the higher prices $2,000-$2,500 hoping to sell for more getting a bit edgy thinking that they may not move....

case in point... past weekend 3 were available for around $2,500 and did NOT move.....

now some of you may jump in and say fleebay etc.... but I still dont see as much interest as say the High Relief from past year that collectors were excited about and actually wanted to own...

As aways we are a buyer of them at 99% melt!
Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Your assessment does not surprise me at all.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Dealers buying at $2,500, hoping to sell for higher? Then they shoulda priced them at $2,501.00image Hard to believe, unless of course they really bought at $900
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this is going to be interesting. I wanted them at melt+"reasonable markup" but not at their current prices.

I wonder how long before the music stops!?!?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, this is going to be interesting. I wanted them at melt+"reasonable markup" but not at their current prices.

I wonder how long before the music stops!?!? >>

When the MINT releases the "P".

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    After the foolish initial hyper-mania has subsided, these will be tough to sell except at a slight advance over melt. I'm calling them paper weights rather than hockey pucks, and don't you agree that they're just about right for that practical purpose (except for the high cost)? Hardly anybody is going to collect all 112 of them totalling 560 ounces of silver going up to year 2021, labeled a ridiculous quarter dollar, with poor designs front and back, and additionally expensive to house or submit for grading. The bullion ones out now are all imperfect due to friction and contact in mint tubes, and even the ones with supposedly protected surfaces, coming out separately, will have the same problems.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if there's little support at 2500, isn't it possible that there could be much greater support at some level above 1100?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your assessment does not surprise me at all. >>

Really? Just yesterday you were insistent that these were not bullion.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    The greed and the hype need to die down to see if there is really a group that will collect these.

At least with the first few First Spouse coins, I held them long enough that their bullion value brought a profit.

I'm only buying 1 set of ATB coins from an AP so my exposure (and downside) is limited. I plan to keep it that way!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

-Paul >>

He didn't say that he agreed with the assessment. Perhaps he does, but maybe he doesn't.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    As with anything, it depends what you paid. I bought one set from Amark for resale. Even if prices fall, Im sure I can make a small profit on these. I can't believe a dealer would pay $2500 for these and expect to make a profit unless they are slabbed 69's or 70's.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    <<Hockey Pucks have no support>>

Of course they do, even if not at the $2500 level.
  • Options
    I never could believe someone pulled the $2k+ value out of the air but I do believe these should have a premium in the ball park of my other pucks. My 5 oz.'s Swiss Helvetia, German Zepplin, and Singapore Tiger.
  • Options
    Since the present going price for a set in hand is right around $2000 I really can't come to the conclusion that they "have no support" because a set didn't sell for $2500. The price was wrong....

I could have a 1909-s vdb raw cent out there for $5000 and conclude that that date has no support because it didn't sell????

Faulty logic.....

Once the series is established THEN we can determine is there is a following or not and what the market is..I think these will be the key of the non-collector (sounds weird) version and future issues will be much easier (and cheaper) to obtain...
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be support, just dont think we know where yet. How many sets have you bought at 99% of melt?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    let me add.... no support at the higher level.... I agree there is a number that all items level to...that is what a market is.... price a buyer and seller will pay .... I just think that that level $$$ number is much lower than all they current hype is right now....
    I hope that makes it a little more clear as to my point...

Re how many sets... None, however since my number is a real bid... that would be a bottom level support number... if someone offers $500 over melt and is willing to buy them at that price....then that would be the market bid.... buying 1 set at a high number is not a bid....offering to always buy them is a market maker... fair enough?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough...

I will be curious to hear what other dealer bids are at the Long Beach show, if there are any coming out with them.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>let me add.... no support at the higher level.... I agree there is a number that all items level to...that is what a market is.... price a buyer and seller will pay .... I just think that that level $$$ number is much lower than all they current hype is right now....
    I hope that makes it a little more clear as to my point...

Re how many sets... None, however since my number is a real bid... that would be a bottom level support number... if someone offers $500 over melt and is willing to buy them at that price....then that would be the market bid.... buying 1 set at a high number is not a bid....offering to always buy them is a market maker... fair enough? >>

A truly mind breaking revelation...You didn't invent the circle did you?
  • Options
    No that would have been Al Gore, before he invented the internet
  • Options
    Do you think the same will apply with the numismatic version as well? After all, it will be the same "ugly" coin, just with a different finish.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is just my own take on it.... other than greed factor, someone buying it for $1,100 and reselling it higher... I have not seen much collector interest in them at any shows....

IMHO they are ugly and I notice some of the dealers who bought at the higher prices $2,000-$2,500 hoping to sell for more getting a bit edgy thinking that they may not move....

case in point... past weekend 3 were available for around $2,500 and did NOT move.....

now some of you may jump in and say fleebay etc.... but I still dont see as much interest as say the High Relief from past year that collectors were excited about and actually wanted to own...

As aways we are a buyer of them at 99% melt! >>

Seems the pucks are following the "Trimes" marketimage--------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they're silly. they stretch the definition of "coin" to the breaking point.

it is very amusing that "collectors" who would scorn privately issued multi-oz silver "tributes" to other coins or bills, would find these desirable.

prediction: melt value inside of a year. that's the support level. And many will get melted.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

-Paul >>

He didn't say that he agreed with the assessment. Perhaps he does, but maybe he doesn't. >>

Oh I fully "agree" with his assessment and have never said these were anything other than inflated bullion.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I'm just hoping to get one before the ice melts down at my local outdoor rink. Oops. May be too late.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    The hype around this series reminds me of the First Ladies hype. Only the First Ladies were Gold, which is always interesting and these Pucks are Silver. Now Silver is nice as long as its reasonably priced but these things aren't.

These are about as interesting as the old Panama 20 Balboa Coins from the era of Franklin Mint NCLT coinage, IMHO.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know anything about these till just now and doing a bit of web snooping...

I was better off before! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    The PL examples seem to be doing o.k. Something like 3K for just one of them. I'm collecting 21st century type, so I have to buy themimage Oh, and I think they look pretty inside the slab.

• Options
    No support is a crock. We finally have a collectable modern series set of coins not highlighting dead people, recycled classic images, or abstractions of Liberty. Quite frankly, I'm bored of all three. These are what we should be doing: showing great places and things--tangible things-- that make this country famous. I'm not saying there aren't any problems with the designs, but right now these are the best we have.

285 million people visited the national parks in 2009. This doesn't count the national forests, etc. No, there is clearly no base that will be interested in these.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is surprised the prices have fallen since more 2010 coins are being released and the original AP's are still selling. Once all the coins are released and nobody can get them for $920 a set then the real prices will start to be known. Also the big catalyst for these will be how many 2011 coins are released later this year, as that will potentially bring in more buyers to the earlier coins.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No support is a crock. We finally have a collectable modern series set of coins not highlighting dead people, recycled classic images, or abstractions of Liberty. Quite frankly, I'm bored of all three. These are what we should be doing: showing great places and things--tangible things-- that make this country famous. I'm not saying there aren't any problems with the designs, but right now these are the best we have.

285 million people visited the national parks in 2009. This doesn't count the national forests, etc. No, there is clearly no base that will be interested in these. >>

Very well said, those are my sentiments also.

The 2011 designs are outstanding.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Everyone is assuming that its the set that everyone wants, I submit that individual coins will do better. I live in Oregon, and really want the Mt. Hood and don't really care for the Hot Springs. However if you are from Arkansas the Hot Springs would probably float your boat more than Mt. Hood. The issues that have broader national appeal will do better, Yosemite and Jellystone.
  • Options

<< <i>Everyone is assuming that its the set that everyone wants, I submit that individual coins will do better. I live in Oregon, and really want the Mt. Hood and don't really care for the Hot Springs. However if you are from Arkansas the Hot Springs would probably float your boat more than Mt. Hood. The issues that have broader national appeal will do better, Yosemite and Jellystone. >>

I really want the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness, but that's not coming out until 2019. I want it because I don't think they'll be able to fit all of that on the coin.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say no support-

that could easily be because they are selling for $2000+- on ebay which I will determine as market value because that's what they are selling for.
    Every coin has a "price" or "value".
    The fact that $2500 has no takers just means that the price was just to high.

Clearly your a buyer at 99% of melt. I would pay 100% of melt. Other people seem to be willing to pay $2000.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>No support is a crock. We finally have a collectable modern series set of coins not highlighting dead people, recycled classic images, or abstractions of Liberty. Quite frankly, I'm bored of all three. These are what we should be doing: showing great places and things--tangible things-- that make this country famous. I'm not saying there aren't any problems with the designs, but right now these are the best we have.

285 million people visited the national parks in 2009. This doesn't count the national forests, etc. No, there is clearly no base that will be interested in these. >>

I wouldn't put too much weight in that 285 million figure since historically speaking, folks that visit National Parks are not necessarily interested in Commemorative Coin Collecting for the parks otherwise, the Yellowstone National Park Silver Dollar Commemorative would have been a sell out at 500,000 coins. It only sold 268,158 coins across both Proof and Unc AND in two coin sets.

Another loser was the Boy Scout commemorative which had a challenge selling 350,000 coins to 6+ million Registered Scouts and Scouters.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Let's put a few sets on eBay at $1200 and see if there's any "support". I bet there is, and lots of it.
  • Options

PinkFloyd

Have you actually seen one in hand?

The metal bar coasters that my local gas station hands out with a fill up are nicer!

The only crock is how bad the Mint did with this design... and I agree we should be putting interesting things on coins.... just think what we could put on as a subject that people really would collect..... Presidents wife!!! come on ...really
  • Options
    Yes, I've had all five in hand. Like I said, they're not without problems, but I see nothing else I'd rather collect this year. 5 oz. of silver plus images of the greatest natural wonders in the USA? Yes please.

As a past employee of Yosemite--this does put me at a bias toward these--it's apparent to me that there are visitors from every walk of life and demographic. How many coin collectors live in Fresno, San Fran, LA and everywhere in between....alone? While we're generalizing about who is visiting the parks, I have to say that a large percentage of the folks I've spoken to in that park fit the coin-collector demographic quite well.

Boy scouts probably aren't going to be as interested in something that toots their own horn--rather--they'd be interested in something that celebrates what they're into: the outdoors. No surprise on the lackluster sales there. Plus, a good percentage of those scouts are what...12? How many 12-year-olds do you know who have the money to buy 5-oz silver coins?

Yellowstone commemorative didn't/doesn't have nearly the visibility these have. 268,158 is pretty lackluster if you're trying to move 500,000 coins. But the 5 ozer is 60,000 between both options. Plus, it's part of a series set that may grow a collector base.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with these. We don't know if the size and the silghtly cartoony images (though I love Mt. Hood and a number of the 2011 designs) will create a following, but I'm betting they will.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I was interested in buying two of these 5 oz. designs, as a collector, which is unusual for me since I'm an error guy and don't usually collect "normal" coins. However i am NOT interested given the current pricing on these.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's put a few sets on eBay at $1200 and see if there's any "support". I bet there is, and lots of it. >>

Yes , there would be , mostly from the usual flippers.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more than happy to be on the sidelines for this stuff.

I've got to say that these "coasters" do nothing for me on any level.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Let's put a few sets on eBay at $1200 and see if there's any "support". I bet there is, and lots of it. >>

Yes , there would be , mostly from the usual flippers. >>

Correct!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins have plenty of support---just not at the prices some owners think they are worth.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a park visitor, I'd think a 1 oz commem would be an easier sell. I think there is a market for these 5 ouncers, with a premium, but for me the value would top out between $1250 and $1500. There's no way I'd collect the set, I just don't want to store them. There will likely be some good collectibles in the series, but I might not live long enough to see it. How many people alive cashed in on the run up in 1928 Hawaiians that got them in the original issue?
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Another loser was the Boy Scout commemorative which had a challenge selling 350,000 coins to 6+ million Registered Scouts and Scouters.[

Not a good comparison if that was your point. The BS commem was just gushing with PC. To put a girl on a boy scout coin is stupid beyond belief and that probably cut the sales down to mostly novice flippers and a few who love to collect PC stuff. I don't mean to stir the pot again on these but I think it had to be said in light of this comment.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where will the support go when silver drops back under 20$
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Correct! >>

I think the flippers are mainly those who got original sets. I would guess that those who bought at $1500 or more would be better described as collectors. Most of the flipping is from those who got multiples and are selling one or two to reduce the cost of the set they plan to keep. That is just how I see it.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .......I never seen one in hand , have no interest what so ever in obtaining any , and wish those that love them all the best
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Correct! >>

I think the flippers are mainly those who got original sets. I would guess that those who bought at $1500 or more would be better described as collectors. Most of the flipping is from those who got multiples and are selling one or two to reduce the cost of the set they plan to keep. That is just how I see it. >>

I think the point was who would be interested at 1200 per set on the bay , i agree flippers maquerading as collectors do the hobby an injustice by purchasing multiple sets soley to recoup the price of a set or as more likely attempt a large profit.Perhaps it's why some collectors are not interested.
  • Options
    ...i agree flippers maquerading as collectors do the hobby an injustice by purchasing multiple sets soley to recoup the price of a set or as more likely attempt a large profit.

Is it impossible to be a "flipper" and a "collector" at the same time or are they all masquerading?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if not for the milk spot, I wouldn't be selling mine.

my intention was to keep a few sets for myself.

I've gotten one and it's going out the door.

Separately, I think even collectors like myself see the money to be made with the flip and are going for it, as we expect prices to fall later.

I think we'll see the real collector interest pick up once the dust settles on the flipping.

That said, the reverse designs are enough to make them worth keeping.

However, the jumbo quarter obverse is so ridiculous looking I'm surprised more isn't being made about it.

I liken it to the Hershey's kiss (quarter) and the Jumbo boxed one they sell a lot of near Valentine's (the puck). One is a kiss, the other is something obscene.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello? These are the new $50 Pan-Pacs!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file