Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A sizzling and tough US Half Cent

This is an 1831 Original. There is debate over whether it is a proof or business strike (I think it's the former), but it really does not matter because it's always going to be needed to complete a Cohen die variety set of 99 varieties.

Enjoy,

Greg

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! That is a great 1831 Original half cent. Are there about 20 - 25 known?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

Acquiring an 1831 half cent is a major accomplishment. When I was collecting half cents by die variety I never aspired to owning an 1831.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice,

I've always liked that design of both the half and one cent coins.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, that's niceimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous! Any way you can enlarge the pics? Love to see the finer details. It looks like a proof to me, certainly a strong strike.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is truly a great half cent
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Nice.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Nice

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't see that every day....wow.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    That is one HAMMERED strike! Looks like a possible Proof to me.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    It's a low-resolution picture.

I will try to make it 600 by 600 dpi like the others, but this one was not imaged by me. It was imaged by the owner.

I am working on a basic Half Cent reference, but I have been very busy buying crappy, flippable coins (NO ONE IS COMPLAINING), and I am working on making a Powerpoint presentation for several of the Half Cents that are on my website for the person who owns them.

Check back tomorrow at 10AM EST.

Greg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file