Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not my series AT ALL but I had to get this one.........my first and only Morgan.

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
Don't know much at all about Morgan Dollars but when I saw this one on ebay sometime last year, I just HAD TO HAVE IT!!!!!!

Finally got it True Viewed and Phil did an AMAZING job as usual.........thanks Phil.

This one actually came from our fellow forum member GoldenEyeNumismatics.........thanks Will.

So, to all those here who collect Morgans............what do you think of this one?

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin!!!
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you started with the first year. Nice Coin.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, Dave! A different look but convincingly original and attractive.

Love the bloodshot eye. Liberty looks hung over.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, the luster is amazing on this coin (which can't be seen much in the pic) and I just love the toning.

I don't think I will be collecting Morgans as I'm waaaay TOO DEEP into the CBH's, but I thought I'd stray just a bit.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the first coins I purchased as a kid were Morgans.
    While I am not a Morgan guy, I still have a decent amount of Morgans
    in my possession.
    Nice coin.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful representative of a great mint!

Love those CC's!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I think you're happy with the coinimage
  • Options
    That's a very accurate picture. I still like the coin a lot. image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cheek and neck are much cleaner than most Unc. CC Morgans I've seen. Don't feel badly, I own one Morgan $ as well.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    A nice one to own!! Very pretty CC Dollar!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    I like it, very pretty!
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The colors are pretty close to matching the 1887 that I have.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    So what grade did they bestow on it? As mentioned, that one uncharacteristically managed to avoid all the familiar luster grazes in all the familiar places, and, condition-wise, looks very good for it.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Morgan collector.

I love the look of this coin. The blue is a nice touch. image

Mike
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attractive looking coin.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what grade did they bestow on it? As mentioned, that one uncharacteristically managed to avoid all the familiar luster grazes in all the familiar places, and, condition-wise, looks very good for it. >>

My guess...MS64image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I love the look of that toning, good buy! image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would you call that "album toning"?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>would you call that "album toning"? >>

Imo it has that paper toning look so maybe envelope or tissue paper ect. Nice looking coin!
  • Options
    I don't like it at all and I think you should refrain from buying nicely toned Morgan's from now on....in fact I think you should sell off that coin right now and I think I might know a buyer image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I would take that 1878-CC Morgan over any of the "so-called" Monster toned (Battlecreek type) Morgans out there. This one just screams original and has such an attractive look to it. The day you decide to part with it, I'm first in line. image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>This one just screams original and has such an attractive look to it >>

I don't know much about Morgans but when I saw this one, I just said, "Wow, now that looks like original toning" and so I placed a high enough bid to get it.

What attracts me to this coin is the incredible luster......oh, and the toning ain't too shabby either image

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Just curious, is this color toning common on Morgans? I haven't seen many with blue and violet colors to them.

If you got any that is comparable, please post them. Thanks.
  • Options
    Not common color but I have seen plenty that are similar...here is one that comes to mind that has a similar look....it's an 1878 7tf Rev on 79

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...hey dave, that's a beaut! i love the blue. what did it grade? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Very very nice.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Love the bloodshot eye.q]

very nice coin!!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I would take that 1878-CC Morgan over any of the "so-called" Monster toned (Battlecreek type) Morgans out there. This one just screams original and has such an attractive look to it. The day you decide to part with it, I'm first in line. image >>

I find it very odd that you would refer to Battle Creek type Morgans as "so called Monster toned", considering some of the coins I have seen you refer to as "monster".

But that aside, while clearly not in the monster category, the coin which is the subject of this thread is quite attractive.
  • Options
    Well, if you only have one Morgan, that's a good one. It's a good date and mint combo--a first year AND from the popular CC mint. And, it has the vivid toning that Morgans exhibit on rare occasions, but often enough and like no other series will. It's a superb type coin that has everything that makes Morgans great.

Edit: well, unless you can also find a vividly toned DMPL with a rare VAM in which Lady Liberty is part reptile or the eagle on fire...
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your new Morgan... be careful... they can be addictive.

While I'm not too keen on the toning for this one, you certainly have good taste for date/MM.

Enjoy!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin. I would have been tempted myself. imageShag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file