Home Precious Metals
Options

150 gold coins seized from American in Mexico

150 gold coins seized from American in Mexico

2010-04-21 10:20:00

At least 150 gold coins were found in the baggage of a US citizen as he awaited a flight to Panama here at the Mexico City airport, officials have said.

Thomas Arnold Martin, 58, 'appeared visibly nervous', prompting agents to run his suitcase through a scanner, which detected several containers inside, the Mexican Public Safety Secretariat said Tuesday.

One container held 50 gold coins with the legend 'Suid Afrika-South Africa' on them and two others had 100 coins inside that said 'United States of America'.

The coins weighed a total of more than five kg, the secretariat said.

Though Martin showed a receipt for the purchase of 50 gold coins worth $1,171 each, he was turned over to prosecutors, the secretariat said. 5 kg of gold coins is worth $180,000 dollars. Not smart at all.(unless he got each of them for $10.00 LOL)

Text
Many successful BST transactions ajia
(x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
mariner67, and Mikes coins

Comments

• Options
    So its now some sort of crime to carry gold coins on your person? WTF is this world coming to?
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    One container held 50 gold coins with the legend 'Suid Afrika-South Africa' on them and two others had 100 coins inside that said 'United States of America'.

What an outstanding journalistic effort.
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    WTF is this world coming to?

You're seeing a great example right here!

They will try to tighten the noose around those who don't embrace the corrupt fiat system. The war against cash is coming as well.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WTF is this world coming to?

You're seeing a great example right here!

They will try to tighten the noose around those who don't embrace the corrupt fiat system. The war against cash is coming as well. >>

It would have been the same if they'd found over 10,000 in cash.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought bullion was ok to fly with.

Now, I will say, coming home from NY last week I had a roll of prezbux in my jacket. The sanner ate that roll twice, and the xray agent popped me for inspection...and the agent gave me a big ol sigh for having to pull out a roll of dollars as an xray issue.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The law has been that way for quite a while, you have to declare if you are carrying over $10k in cash or equivalent. It was done to protect the children from drug dealers. image
  • Options
    Under U.S. law the gold coins are legal tender and the gold coins would be assessed at minted face value not by gold value! The Eagle IS legal tender IE 1 ounce gold eagle is $50.00 At $50.00 each how many 1 ounce gold eagles would add up to $10.000? . I have a close friend that regularly transports shipments of gold Eagles to Wales. He tried to declare there value at much more then face the U.S. customs told him that he didn't need to do so because the coins minted values was far below $10.000.
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I would not think American laws apply in Mexico.

When I go to coin shows I just tell TSA officer, I'm a collector going to a show. Never had a problem~yetimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>Under U.S. law the gold coins are legal tender and the gold coins would be assessed at minted face value not by gold value! The Eagle IS legal tender IE 1 ounce gold eagle is $50.00 At $50.00 each how many 1 ounce gold eagles would add up to $10.000? >>

The US C&B Protection says:
    "There is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion, but if the value of the gold coins is over $10,000, it must be declared to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer and must be reported on the FinCEN 105 form."

Also:
    "Failure to declare currency in amounts of over $10,000 can result in its seizure."

And in the definition of monetary instrument:
    "Gold Bullion is not a monetary instrument for purposes of this requirement."
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The law has been that way for quite a while, you have to declare if you are carrying over $10k in cash or equivalent. It was done to protect the children from drug dealers. image >>

Heck it's been like that for at least 20 years....You must declare anything in value of over $10k and hope you are flying to a country that does not impose a PM restriction.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need more information about the specifics, to comment intelligently.

What did the guy's custom form look like? Did he declare the gold, or not?

What about his return ticket? Did he have one, or is this a one-way trip?

What's his story? Is this his "coin collection" or is he transporting/laundering money?

Does anyone else have "ownership" or claim to the gold and/or the money represented? (wife, business, etc?)

btw, same questions would apply whether the liquid asset is Gold, US or other national currency, bearer bonds, etc..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Whew. Has this fellow ever been seen or heard from in the ensuing 9 months since his detention?
    Frankly, I would never confuse him with being Einstein as it is too well known to be remarked that in Mexico, the cops and the robbers are one and the same organization.
    And, uh, Panama? Another destination known to be thoroughly legitimate. Uh-huh.
    I don't think it was unreasonable to regard Tom as other than just another tourist passing through.
    ----
    As for legality, take a drive around the border areas of the US in the southwest with that much gold in your car. Be sure to tell the truth when asked if you have any guns, large sums of money, etc. After dark is always best.
    You will at least be heard from again, but I would bet almost any dollar amount that your gold will never be returned to you.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Sounds like a non-stop to Panama would have been a wise investment...
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So its now some sort of crime to carry gold coins on your person? WTF is this world coming to? >>

The might have drawn and quartered him (no pun in tended). Maybe he'll rot in a Mexican prison. Good luck travelling south of the border.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    I don't think this had anything to do with any law on the books, and I would bet that the gold will be in private hands tout suite.
  • Options
    I used to live in El Paso Texas on the Mexican border and no one I knew there would cross that border!. Years ago it was the place to go for Dental work, prescription's, and just plain FUN. But no more! Americans are now targets in Mexico!
  • Options
    Getting gold out of the country
    At the moment there are no restrictions on getting gold out the US, but there is no guarantee that exchange controls could not be introduced in the future.

Most countries do not recognize gold as a monetary instrument (at least based on its market value), so gold can be moved freely and privately across most borders. In the United States, the law requires that an individual is required to report if s/he is leaving the country with more than $10,000, or foreign equivalent, in monetary instruments. So what is a monetary instrument? Domestic and foreign currency, travelers checks in any form, money orders, negotiable instruments, stock certificates, or any investment securities in bearer form. If you leave (or enter) the United States with more than $10,000 in monetary instruments, you must fill out form FinCen 105, which you can ask for upon arrival or departure. Gold bars and coins are not included on this list. One-ounce American Eagle coins have a face value of $50, therefore theoretically 200 Eagle coins would meet the $10,000 threshold. Of course, it is not illegal to depart the country with more than $10,000-- you simply have to declare the money... so if you are nervous or in doubt about leaving the country with your gold, just ask for the form.

In Canada, the rules are essentially the same. Entering or leaving the country with more than C$10,000 or foreign equivalent in monetary instruments must be declared to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) on form E667.

There are certain countries, Taiwan and Uruguay for example, that require you to declare ownership of gold upon entry. Since laws change all the time, make sure you check your departing and arrival country’s customs information before the trip.

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So its now some sort of crime to carry gold coins on your person? WTF is this world coming to? >>

NOW?

It's called smuggling when you don't declare cash or valuables over a certain about when traveling between countries.

Jack Benny and George Burns were arrested for this in 1938!

Link
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

NOW?

It's called smuggling when you don't declare cash or valuables over a certain about when traveling between countries.

Jack Benny and George Burns were arrested for this in 1938!

Link >>

Frank, for once, you hit the nail on the head.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The law has been that way for quite a while, you have to declare if you are carrying over $10k in cash or equivalent. It was done to protect the children from drug dealers. image >>