Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this worth sending to PCGS?

Do you think it will grade out at a proper G-4/G-6? Are you worried about the damage? Slightly porous planchet? Stratches on reverse fields?

I love this look. image

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends what you mean by "worth." If it's a coin you are planning on keeping for your collection, it's not nescessary. If you are planning on selling it, I would send it in even for a genuine holder. My personal opinion which may differ greatly from PCGS is that the coin has acceptable marks for a coin of that age and wear level.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Love it!
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin

it you like it the way it is and so do others, why send it in?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why that piece would not grade. It is a very nice AG-3 with a shot at Good-4.

Most lower grade 1795 half dollars have been cleaned white and shiny and have no chance of grading. This one is probably not 100% original, but it looks nice enough to certainly get a grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bet my life on G, but I've seen worse.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    IMHO, it's always worth sending a coin like that to PCGS.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was mine I would send it in. Even if it did land in a genuine holder it would be better than raw. I think that it would grade if you sent it in. I was also thinking AG3 with a good shot at G4.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    I would have it graded. Good shot at G04.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above posters...coin looks good and should grade with PCGS.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have it in my collection.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given what I've seen in holders (PCGS and everyone else), I'd be shocked if that coin didn't get a grade.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the image, the coin looks far more original than a great deal of slabbed Draped Bust / 18th century silver coinage I've seen.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    absolutely
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file